Thread: 110 tactical in 300 win mag stringing shots to the right

Bsalie99

110 tactical in 300 win mag stringing shots to the right

I just picked up a used 110 tactical in 300 win mag. the gun was made in 1994 and still has the OEM stock and a Bushnell 3-9 scope. I just took the gun out to try it out and found that the gun strings the shots to the right. The cold bore shot is pretty much on target then as it heats up they move right as much as 6 in when it got real hot with 195 gr Hornady factory ammo. I did order a Choate tactical stock for it that is not here yet.
    Anyone know what is causing the shot movement?

Re: 110 tactical in 300 win mag stringing shots to the right

"The cold bore shot is pretty much on target then as it heats up they move right as much as 6 in when it got real hot"

Getting any barrel "real hot" can change things, sometimes drastically. Is the barrel free-floated? It may be when cold, yet it may not be when hot. Magnum calibers will heat a barrel fairly quickly, so it's important to time your shots to avoid over-heating the barrel.
    It's tough for me to use patience at the range myself, because I want to "burn some powder". What I try to do now is bring another rifle to shoot while I let the other one rest. I'm learning that getting a barrel real hot is the worst thing for it. It causes accelerated throat erosion- destroying it's accuracy.

ellobo

Bossman is correct. Let it cool and check that the barrel STAYS free floated. I found that out when I used to sight in my deceased hunting buddies .300 Mag Savage Stainless prior to his going to northern Quebec for caribou. Another thing is on this older rifle it may be coppered up so check that as well.

El Lobo

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...

My .270 is dead nutz accurate when fresh out of the case. Cold / clean barrel - first 5 are inside of a 1 inch red dot. It lets me know when it's too hot to shoot. Accuracy goes right down the tubes. When the barrel is too hot, groups open up to 1.5 inches.
    I do the same as Bossman - Bring an extra rifle or two. 3 to 4 shots max... Then shoot something else or walk down the firing line & shoot the BS with someone.

Especially on any range over 100 yds...

Stay cool,
    Frank in Fla.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

jeffreyC

If you want the barrel to last you should not shoot it hot. Throat erosion occurs when the steel is hot and is then flame cut.

Unless the plan is to burn it up so that you have an excuse to rebarrel it.