Thread: 243 ai

Seabeeken

243 ai

Does anyone have a load using Reloder 17 with the Sierra 85 gr HPBT? I've been wanting to try it but cant Find data for it.

I don't find any either.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Just use H4350 data it has the same burn rate, only you will get at least 100 more FPS, I use it all the time, 45gr of RL17 would be my starting point.
    Last edited by scope eye; 12-30-2012 at 01:04 PM. Reason: spellink
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Seabeeken
    I think I'll use Alliant's max load for the 243 Win of 43.7 gr as a start point and drop it slightly to 43.0 gr and go from there.
    Scope, that practice is extremely dangerous. There is no way I'm going to use data from one powder to a different powder, no matter what a burn rate chart says. That just throws the safety rules in the trash. Saw a guy do that once right before I watched him hammer his bolt open.

"Saw a guy do that once right before I watched him hammer his bolt open."

There has to be more to that story, I have loaded over fifty thousand rounds, and I have substituted powders mixed powders you name it, there's no way that happened with the same amount of powder, if they had the same burn rate, there is some difference but never that much, not even close, and I was not saying that blindly, I said I substitute the two all the time, hey that what happens when you venture of into AI territory there's limited data so you have to use your best judgement, and that was my best judgement and it worked out great for me.

Tanks Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Seabeeken View Post
    I think I'll use Alliant's max load for the 243 Win of 43.7 gr as a start point and drop it slightly to 43.0 gr and go from there.
    Scope, that practice is extremely dangerous. There is no way I'm going to use data from one powder to a different powder, no matter what a burn rate chart says. That just throws the safety rules in the trash. Saw a guy do that once right before I watched him hammer his bolt open.

Not to sound ofensive, But if that is the way you really feel, don't ask for unpublished data!
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Seabeeken
    I started loading in 1974 and have loaded thousands of round for about 30 cartridges. AI data is hard to come by. Thats why I developed my own in my rifle using a number of different powders and I'm glad I did. I used Ackleys advice and started with 105% of the published starting loads for the 243 Win and worked up from there. In Hornady's 9th edition loading manual, H414/W760 and N150 are next to each other in the burn rate chart. They were as different as night and day in my rifle. H414 gave very erratic pressure signs and velocities while N150 was perfectly predictable with pressure and velocity and no way interchangeable.
    I'm glad it worked for you. I'm just not comfortable doing something like that. I have a small spreadsheet in Excel with the results if you would like it. I tested 10 powders so far and intend to test a few more. My rifle seems to prefer faster burn rates. The next round of tests will include 3031 & RL17

Seabeeken
    Good point, I won't ask again.

MrMajestic
    QuickLoad is your friend! Any combination along with Load ratio and percent burn. A couple of reloading manuals and you bought it. Very entertaining while my Wife is watching WE(Womens Entertainment) Channel!

358Hammer
    I called and spoke with a tech from alliant when Rel 17 first came out. He advised me to just use IMR 4350 for 17 data in all cartridges I wish. So since I get noticable velocity increases I have systematically changed all load data that I used IMR 4350 over to Rel 17.

For the 243 AI I started at 44 gr and the 90gr bullet and worked up to48grs.
    I have data for the 243 RCBS calling for starting at 46grs of IMR 4350 and the 85gr bullet and ending at 48grs.

Again it is always the users responsibility to start low and work up.

Hope this helps

Neal
    Last edited by 358Hammer; 01-01-2013 at 07:08 PM.

Members who have read this thread in the last 1 days: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.