Thread: savage bolt lift kit?

axaviere

savage bolt lift kit?

i was looking for bolt handles when i ran across a lift kit for $8 on the same page. sound familiar to anyone? can anyone explain what exactly the kit helps with? i wanted to read the description to get an idea. it seems like there were just 2 parts, a bearing and a washer. thanks

82boy

Re: savage bolt lift kit?

The idea is a brain child of SSS. What it is, is a piece of 38 special brass cut down withe a ball bearing glued in the primer hole. This makes a smaller contact area, and reduces friction, so that the bolt has a smoother ride.

To install the kit it will add length so you need to trim back the back of the bolt head to compensate. The kit will not work on the newer accu-stock guns, for they have a cocking indicator at the end of the bolt. Don't worry if you have an accu-stock SSS now makes a lifter kit for them as well.

axaviere

thanks for the reply. what is involved in the trimming? do i need a mill or lathe? maybe a gunsmith? thanks. oh my rifle is a 10fcp-hs non accustock.

I use a bench grinder. A dremel would work too.

All you need to do is remove the thickness of the rim plus the amount the bearing protrudes above the kit surface.

BTW. Don't spend $8 on a kit. I make mine from a 357 or 38 special case that I pick up at the range. cut the sides of the case down to the case head. I remove the primer and glue in a $0.16 ball bearing from the hardware store. IIRC it's 5/32".
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Basic Member

On one of my Savages I used the 38 SPC case except I drilled and tapped it 8-32 then screwed in a rounded setscrew with locktite, making sure the protrusion was minimal. It worked out really well for me.

Dolomite

axaviere

any pictures? i kinda get it, but its not easy to visualize. thanks

Junfan

Pics or a link would be appreciated.

[img width=600 height=450]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/gcidso123/savagebolt008.jpg[/img]
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

What do you trim? Is it the end of the bolt that holds the bolt handle on, or the actual bolt head?

You trim the BAS, the screw that holds the bolt handle on.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

MSG Janoski

Quote Originally Posted by 82boy
    The idea is a brain child of SSS. What it is, is a piece of 38 special brass cut down withe a ball bearing glued in the primer hole. This makes a smaller contact area, and reduces friction, so that the bolt has a smoother ride.

To install the kit it will add length so you need to trim back the back of the bolt head to compensate. The kit will not work on the newer accu-stock guns, for they have a cocking indicator at the end of the bolt. Don't worry if you have an accu-stock SSS now makes a lifter kit for them as well.
    So do they or don't they now have one for the newer accu-stock? (I've tried calling twice but can't get through).

Dirk

The bolt lift kit goes INSIDE the bolt assembly, so you may have to revert to an old style BAS.

82boy

Quote Originally Posted by MSG Janoski
    Quote Originally Posted by 82boy
    Don't worry if you have an accu-stock SSS now makes a lifter kit for them as well.
    So do they or don't they now have one for the newer accu-stock? (I've tried calling twice but can't get through).
    Yes they do, as stated in the quote. Keep trying to call them.