Thread: Zeroing in hint.

ellobo

Zeroing in hint.

For those that are range deprived here is a hint I was told many years ago. For those shooting .30-06 and similar cartridges ballisticaly but only have an out in the woods 25 yd place to put a target; Zero your rifle at the 25 yds dead on. Out to about 225 yds you will be in the boileroom of most deer sized animals. You might be an inch or so high at 100 and 2 or so low at 225 but that will get your game down if you place the shot in the proper place. It is a trick I had to use for a lot of years and it seemed to work. Never lost an animal except to another guy who also shot my 6 pointer over in Pennsyvania a few minutes after it dived behind some trees. The shot was in the lungs broadside and that deer wasnt going to go very far.

El Lobo

Basic Member

Re: Zeroing in hint.

Outstanding suggestion. I use 20yds all the time. For all my centerfire and rimfire. For my 22 WMR about 1/4" high is dead on at 100, right where most of the ground squirrels happen to die :).

Do the short range shoot and adjust crosshairs to first shot hole, and you will save a ton of ammo.

It might be wise to confirm zero at 100/200
    last year I zero'd my bar in 06 at 25 yrds, then I went to the 100 yrd line and I was 8 inchs high and 6 inches to the right. I was shooting feds in 180 gr and then nosler partitions.
    I checked my 100 yrd zero in Colorado and it was spot on.
    newbie from gr, mi.

Basic Member

By all means, I didn't mean to imply otherwise, it's for me, a starting point BEFORE I go to the range. But it will put you a lot closer than a bore sight.

by the way, a lot depends on your setup, your load etc. Some loads. and calibers, like my 223 are dead on at 20 than dead on at 100, but my '06 is 1/2" low at 20 and dead on at 225....at least the '06 says on PAPER. I haven't checked it at the range yet. but will soon.

cooker900

Quote Originally Posted by Stockrex
    last year I zero'd my bar in 06 at 25 yrds, then I went to the 100 yrd line and I was 8 inchs high and 6 inches to the right. I was shooting feds in 180 gr and then nosler partitions.
    where the nosler's, handloads or factory?
    what type of bullet where you shooting with the fed's

sound to me like the age old 2different animals with the different bullets.

to me it has to many variables were the powders the same? same bullets? primers? same seating depth?

i have rem 700 in 270 win. that will shoot the same POI handloads with 140 accubonds imr 4350 and win lg rifle primers as with rem core lokts 130gr but with the same zero Win 130gr are like you say 8"h and 5"r feds are even on the paper.

Quote Originally Posted by cooker900
    Quote Originally Posted by Stockrex
    where the nosler's, handloads or factory?
    what type of bullet where you shooting with the fed's

sound to me like the age old 2different animals with the different bullets.

to me it has to many variables were the powders the same? same bullets? primers? same seating depth?

i have rem 700 in 270 win. that will shoot the same POI handloads with 140 accubonds imr 4350 and win lg rifle primers as with rem core lokts 130gr but with the same zero Win 130gr are like you say 8"h and 5"r feds are even on the paper.
    cooker,
    I zeroed with fed factory ammo and moved to 100 yrds and with the same ammo the zero was off, I noslers and they were a bit low but near about where I was aiming at 100, I left it at that. I am curious now, I have not shot the rifle since rechecking zero in CO (yeah, no ELK for me :-( ), I will take it out to the range this sat day and shot some at 100 and 200 after my trap session.
    fyi: I was shooting 180g feds SP and 180 nosler partitions.
    newbie from gr, mi.

Another tip is when you throw a scope on in your house(with a bipod):
    Take the bolt out and look down the bore. Sighting in across the room,(bore, then scope adjust) will get you REALLY close for the inital distances you are talking about.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.