Thread: extended magazine for SA savage

AKArcherdaddy

extended magazine for SA savage

I'm considering building a rem 260, but I'd like to be able to shoot the long Berger 130 or 140 6.5 mm bullets without jamming them way back into the case.

First of all, I know the Savage Long Actions are nice and long (I have one and can fit almost any magnum cartridge into it, even with bullets seated WAY out). How about the Savage Short Actions? Do they give you a little more than the 2.800" magazines that the Remington and Kimbers give you?

Failing that, I know Wyatt and HS Precision make extended magazine boxes for Rem 700 short actions. These allow cartridge lengths of up to about 2.9", with only minor gunsmithing required. Does anyone know if anything like this is available for Savage short actions?

I really like the Savage actions, and would prefer to use one if possible! Thanks in advance for helping!

Basic Member

Re: extended magazine for SA savage

There is always the older "J" series actions as well. If I am not mistaken, these are in between the SA and LA. I have one, but it's in the safe a someone elses house, while I build my own house. Otherwise I would measure and compare them for you.

The one I have laying here measures 2.875" It's from a 110 that was chambered in .308. My M10 looks to be the same size but I'll have to take it apart to get an exact measurement.

Bob
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

AKArcherdaddy

Thanks guys. Good info. From the sound of it I might not need an extended magazine...much. It sure would be nice to be able to fit 2.9" into the magazine though. Still, it sounds like a Savage SA does allow more room than a Rem 700 SA. I'll keep checking back, so if anyone else has ideas or suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

I realize there are "intermediate" actions (I have one rifle built on a beautiful 98 Mauser) but I'd really like to stick with a SA for this rifle, and I do like the Savage actions. I'm building it as long-range precision project so I could just go single-shot on this, but I'd really to have the option of hunting with this rifle as well. I'm thinking of something along the lines of a tactical/hunting rig. That's also why I want to keep it on a short action, but still be able to shoot long, high BC bullets.

pd721el

The center feed SA are even longer. I just stuck 3 260 rem cartidges loaded at 2.95 in the center feed mag box on my 243. Still alittle extra room. These loads are for my 700 with a Wyatt EXT box.

MarkT97213

pd721el Thank you. That is excellent info. I too am doing the very same .260 project & it sounds like for the same reasons.

Mark

AKArcherdaddy

Thanks pd721el!

2.95" !! That's fantastic news! Looks like all my worries are over and I can start shopping for a centerfeed Savage SA! I think maybe I'll hit the Savage dealers around here and just buy a new 116 FHSS in 243, and part out the barrel and stock. I'd just go get a Stevens, but up here in Alaska stainless is pretty much a necessity.

Thanks again!

AKArcherdaddy

Just thought of one more thing:

pd721el, was that an internal centerfeed or a removable box magazine? What model did you measure on? Or is there no difference? It's unlikely that the Savage dealers around here will have both in stock (I had to special order my other Savages) so I might not be able to check. I'd hate to special order one, wait two months for the rifle and even longer for the custom barrel, and then find out there was a critical piece of information I had overlooked.

Thanks in advance.

pd721el

mine is a blind mag VLP. But i believe the mag box is the same.

Basic Member

I have two model 16 (WSM) center feed actions one detachable mag and one internal and they both measure very close to 3" internally.

AKArcherdaddy

Thanks. With the accuracy, reliabilty, and availability of Savage actions, and the added bonus of having the flexibility of a slightly longer magazine, it's becoming harder and harder to imagine why I would try to find a Rem 700.

Team Savage

I have an internal mag SA centerfeed and run most cartridges at 2.9". Actually I can even sneak that up a little

Cover Dog

I read this somewhere in the last couple of days. Measurement of the mag on a SA is 3.05"