Thread: 6mm BR Lapua

1jonzmith

6mm BR Lapua

I am shopping for the subject barrel. Source suggestions? Prices? Length?

Thank you,

John

Re: 6mm BR Lapua

Tell us what are you going to do with the barrel. And what gun is it going on.

Many use the 6br for hunting. If you going to shoot F-Class, I would go with a heavier barrel.

I will be able to give you a price as soon as you give the above info.
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

What ever contour and length you desire, I would look at a CBI barrel from Northland.

I bought one last spring. SS, 28", 1-8" twist. Shoot great with the several bullets I have tried From 58gr V-Max up to 100gr Sierra SPT I tried to see if they might be accurate enough for some hunting. Barrel shoots great and cleans easy. Give them a look.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

1jonzmith

Thank you both for your answers. Had a breakdown in com with my Smith. He got me a BenchMark barrel I didn't know was coming. I hear good things about the Bench Mark so I not worried. Hear tons of good reports about the ones you recommended, as well.

Thank you,

John

Your smith made a good choice as the benchmark is a very good premium barrel. Let us know how you make out after it is chambered.Make sure he knows which bullets you are shooting and if you want a no turn neck which I suggest unless you like tight neck match chambers.With the new lapua(blue box) ,you should get a .2705 or .271 chaber,that way you dont have to turn every single neck.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

1jonzmith

Thanks Jon

1jonzmith

I ordered a reamer for the BR Norma and 60 grain Berger bullets. He had the numbers in his head and rattled off the neck reamer diameter and how much freebore I needed for that bullet to be seated at the lands. I understand 10 to 15 thou into the lands is the usual but needs to be worked up to from zero. Anyway, That should start me off. I hand loaded for years and never got in this deep. This is a real learning experience and some here have been incredibly generous with their time and equipment. No doubt you have made this a successful journey cause without you It would have been much harder at least.

I will also buy a land reamer to get set up for longer/heaver bullets if the time comes and also to freshen the throat/lands and they say that will happen even if it is shooting really good but not like new. Wish I could afford all this stuff.

Still happy and swing'n as hard as I can.

John

Team Savage

Don't be in any hurry to lengthen the freebore. It'll grow faster than you expect. In the case of 6BR chambers, a short throat is good. Start with the lighter bullets and go heavier as needed.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

1jonzmith

I hear really wild claims, to me, that the 6mm is really easy on barrels and I can expect to get many thousands of rounds from my barrel.

John

Team Savage

easy it is plus brass last a very long time

drybean

Basic Member

6BR is easy on brass, and you will like it , load with varget and you will be happy, 1/4 moa can be done easier then most other cals, fun to shoot, cost is nice.