Thread: 0.7 MOA for 10-FCP-K .308

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    sliderspal

0.7 MOA for 10-FCP-K .308

How does 0.7 moa stack up for a .308 10-FCP-K ?

Uncle Jack

Re: 0.7 MOA for 10-FCP-K .308

Mine (a FLCP-K) does less than .500 with 168 Sierras and a Federal case full of 748.

uj

Basic Member

how many yards for your .7

I'd try some Federal Gold Medal Match 168's, the norm is .5 or less. When I started getting serious about groups I was able to get around .75 most of the time with 2 different brands of factory hunting ammo with a regular 10-FP then I tried the FGGM 168 and my first 3 shot group was .3 at 100 yards. Now that I reload for it .5 or lower.

I think with the right load you'll get under .5 if it is capable of .7.

Regards
    Dan
    There really is an excuse for everything!

Basic Member

My fcp-k consistantly shots under .5. I'm using 168 sierra match kings with 43.5 grains of RL15.
    Retired sniper. You can run, But you will only die tired!!!

sliderspal

This was with Hornady 168 gr Tap.
    This is a new rifle and 0.7 Moa was the first 5 shot group out of it.

sliderspal

Quote Originally Posted by frank1947
    how many yards for your .7
    Doesn't really matter cause 0.7 moa is just that.
    But to answer your question 100 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by sliderspal

Doesn't really matter cause 0.7 moa is just that.
    But to answer your question 100 yards.
    Yes it does. .7 is crap to average at 100. So-so at 500. Pretty damn good at 1000. Fantastic at 1 mile. Almost impossible at 2000.

The yardage makes every bit of difference.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

sliderspal

0.7 moa is 0.7 moa doesn't mater what the yardage is.
    0.7 moa = aprox 7.0" at 1000 yards

ellobo

As Einstine would say "Everything is relative". If you hunt the dense woodlands of Northern New England like I do a hundred yard shot comes along once every 15 yrs. Average is 50. The last 2 deer I got were with round ball muzzlelaoders, one at 75 paces and the other at 65 paces. That is why the old thutty-thutty is so popular. Fast handleing is more important than MOA than for a western hunter who hunts prairie or mountains and shots may be well over 300 yds where sub MOA is very important. Here I have loads for my 2 Savages, a 35 Whelen and a 7x57 that will both shoot at least MOA with my loads. I have no need to spend time and money developing loads that will shoot 1/2 MOA. I do reload just for the fun of it and to keep my shooting skills sharp. To each his own.

El Lobo

Basic Member

.7 if you had a not so great rest and factory ammo your better then many others with new gun i have seen dozens with new savages do 2 and 3 inches with factory ammo so you got a good start anyway, but with a good rest and either tailer made ammo( reloads) most savages will shoot sub 1/2 moa.

pitsnipe

All very GOOD answers. And when I get mine I'll tell ya. Till then, not bad EVEN AT 100 yds.
    GOOD SHOOTIN!!!

Ray Gunter

This was with Hornady 168 gr Tap.
    This is a new rifle and 0.7 Moa was the first 5 shot group out of it.
    First group
    First factory load tried
    .7 moa

I'd say your doing very well and that rifle shows a great promise.

I'd like to see how it goes after 200 rounds and 4-5 different loads.

cgeorgemo

Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder
    Yes it does. .7 is crap to average at 100. So-so at 500. Pretty damn good at 1000. Fantastic at 1 mile. Almost impossible at 2000.

The yardage doesn't change the accuracy of the rifle it changes the accuracy of the shooter.
    100 yards is usually used as the minimum to calculate MOA for high powered rifles since it is long enough that most bullets will have stabilized in 100 yards.
    And the particular conditions you hunt under have nothing to do with the calculation of accuracy, they just have to do with the minimum acceptable accuracy which is an opinion not a measurement.

ellobo

And the particular conditions you hunt under have nothing to do with the calculation of accuracy, they just have to do with the minimum acceptable accuracy which is an opinion not a measurement.

Opinion or not, my accuracy is measured. I know what my loads will do at 100 yds because it is what my club range has. We have a long range area from stands at 200 and out to 600 but it is restricted use and can only be used with range officers present. Very few people have more than 100 yd. ranges to test on. I am well aware I could get much better accuracy out of my rifles and I do have some that will do sub MOA including a 117 yr old Winchester Hi-Wall, 38-55 target rifle. But they arnt my hunting rifles. I am 75 yrs old and have limited finances. With the price of ammo and components I am restricted in what I can do. That is why I shoot a lot with cast bullets and reduced loads. And they are very accurate. So, as I said, too each his own. If you are obsessed with getting .3MOA, more power to you. I admire your tenacity in that persuit. AS for me I am happy with what I have.

El Lobo

When I first got my 10fp w/accu trigge, flimsy plastic stock, with 24'' barrel I started with the 150 grain Federal fusions. I shot a few to get the scope dialed in and then shot a three shot group of about 1.5" at 100 yards, but the barrel was pretty hot by then. A little while after I left the gravel pit where I was shooting I knew I just wasn't satisfied with the group, I felt my barrel and it felt pretty cool turned around and went back I shot a three shot group just a whisker under 1 MOA . I was actually really happy and then the next I tried Prvi Partezan 150 soft points and could get .75 at 100 consistantly, but I would shoot and shoot getting blown primer's on 90 degree day's, but a few year's ago I didn't know that was from high pressure, I thought it was just cheap junk case's ???. I must say besides that Pravi ammo I've never had another blown primer, now that I reload with 1000 rounds through it I am currently using 2 pretty stout loads. I switched to the 175 grain SMK's with 44 grains of varget or 44 grain's IMR 4064, the gun has a short throat as a side note. The Varget load is average of 2650 fps and 4064 is 2680, .5 or less five shot groups at 100. I have shot some really really great groups with this rifle, the best 3 shot was .018 but I have been able to hover in the .3 range but it takes demanding consistency in shooting these groups, at least for me.

Dan

Basic Member

This is what i did today 200 yards

http://s732.photobucket.com/albums/w...mcm_1947/30BR/

I could not figure out how to put a picture in here, you have to look way back and to the right to see a little white of the target

That sure is an awesome build you've got there Frank . Would you be so kind to give detailed rifle spec's and load spec's, great shooting! I've been thinking about building a 30BR myself for short range F-class.

Dan

Basic Member

Dansavage thank you, I hope to do better tommorow when I go to a real range and a nice fixed bench.

wells it a krieger barrel 1/17 twist and .330 neck, 25 inches long a leupold 45x scope, mcmillan edge stock, and a savage target action, barrel and action work done by Lester Bruno, I loaded 34.4 grs of H4198 and I use Ronnie Cheeks 118-9 ogive bullets and that target were shot with a .010 jump, I been shooting at the lands , just happen to try this today, going to do one more test tommorow, got to get ready match on Sunday, I shoot this gun in VFS Varmit for score it is a 100 and 200 yard game.

Should you build one you have to turn necks down to .010 thickness then use a .324 bushing that will give a loaded round of .329.

make sure they use the robinet reamer 0 freebore, if you want to do a drop in shilen has the right reamer, I am thinking of doing another with shilen barrel same twist but in a number 7 contour and a savage varmit action with DBM I have one in a 6mm br I can just swap barrels same go-gage.

Thanks Frank.
    Best regards
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by cgeorgemo
    The yardage doesn't change the accuracy of the rifle it changes the accuracy of the shooter.
    100 yards is usually used as the minimum to calculate MOA for high powered rifles since it is long enough that most bullets will have stabilized in 100 yards.
    There is much more than the shooter that changes at long distance. Environmental changes have a bigger impact on trajectory than anything else.

100 yards usually is, but not all the time. Most of my shooting is done at longer distances. I wouldn't waste my time shooting my 338 Edge at anything less than 400 yards.

Many of the bullets I shoot take longer to stabilize than 100 yards.

"Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

0.7 moa is 0.7 moa doesn't mater what the yardage is.
    0.7 moa = aprox 7.0" at 1000 yards
    MOA is a measurement of angle not a measurement of accuracy.

Are you saying that you get 7" groups at 1000 yards? Or, that it should because you get .7 at 100 yards?

sliderspal

What I am saying with all things being equal .7" at 100 yards = 7.0" at 1000 yards.

Basic Member

sliderspal, true, .7 would be 7 at 1000, I think the point some are making is it never works out that way, just because you shoot a .7 at 100 it is doubtful that will happen at 1000, I would be willing to bet it will not happen to many factors involved, that is why when you posted the .7 everyone asked how far, your heart rate alone will change bullet drift, example at 200 yards with my F class 6mm br i shoot it 1/4 moa and less at 600 i average 1/2 moa and only on my best day and only twice have i come close to 1/4 moa with a 2.2 inch group only once that =.350 moa and 7 inches at 1000 yards =.668 moa as well at 100, I think that was the point trying to be made.

Members who have read this thread in the last 1 days: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.