Thread: SA VS LA

Basic Member

SA VS LA

i've got a stevens 200 270 that i got a good deal on. i want to build a 6.5 x 47 lapua and was thinking of getting a sa for the build. then i read that the sa might not leave enough room for the longer bullets. this must be in reference to the magazine, no? my manuals don't have drawings of the lapua case or dimensions but in other articles i've seen photos of them and it seems that the lapua is short enough for the mag to allow all bullet lengths. does the la really carry the benefit here? someone please enlighten me.
    PS. this sure is a great forum and a gold mine for all!!! thx

Re: SA VS LA

I built my 6.5 Lapua on a long action using a single shot follower and was able to seat bullets out as far as I wanted.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

I took my Savage 308 and put a 6.5x47L barrel on it. I use it as a single shot target gun.

No problems!
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

cgeorgemo

From a comparison picture I just looked at the 6.5x47 seems to be just slightly longer than a .308 for factory Lapua ammunition.

Basic Member

thanks for the input.... i don't want to use a sa if it requires use as a single shot. may be that the stevens 270 will suit my needs for this kind of build. i'v definitely got more reading and research to do. thank you... larry

cgeorgemo

I use my Stevens 25-06 for a 22-250 target rifle during the spring and summer and it works out fine.