Thread: 204 cleaning rod?

204 cleaning rod?

I have a Tipton 1-piece rod (.22-26 cal. 44") for most of my cleaning needs and love it but need to pick up a new rod for my 204. The same Tipton rod in 17-20 has bad reviews at midway compaired to the rod I have now. What are you guys using for rods for your .204's.

hotbrass

Re: 204 cleaning rod?

I have a Dewey .17 rod and it has worked great for several years. I dont know what the reviewers say about tipton, but I will tell you that the Dewey is a bit more flexible due to the smaller diameter. If I run a tight patch I compensate with my other hand on the center of the rod to keep the force in a straight line, and it works great.

308law

I have the Tipton carbon fiber for my 204, and it works as well as the 22 cal rods i have, when I first got it, it had some plastic or something like it in the threaded end. It was like they used it to scrape the substance up into it. I used a 5-40 tap to clean it up, its been fine ever since. I was reluctant to buy one too after reading the reviews, but decided to try it anyway since there where also quite a few poor reviews on the Dewey coated rods and some of the stainless rods for various reasons. I think its just part of owning a sub 22 caliber.

Dewey.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Basic Member

I use the Tipton rod in my 204 Ruger with a Sinclair bore guide. It works perfectly.

Bill

Basic Member

I have the Tipton works great, it does flex a little with a tight fitting patch. I would buy another if needed. I use is on both .17 and .204.

hotbrass

LOL!

I just looked on my bench and I have a Dewey .20 rod also. I got to much stuff! NOT!

The .20 rod is only 20" and I dont remember buying it other than I think I bought it for my T/C 14"

Team Savage

I've own both the Dewey and Tipton .17/20 rods. You must be very careful with both of these small diameter rods, especially if you try to force a tight patch/brush. That is how I bowed my Dewey rod and I cannot get it completely straight again. The coating will also be scraped off if comes in contact with the chamber/bore if it bends. My Tipton fiber rod has broken a couple of times at the base of the threaded metal tip. But at least with the fiber rod you can repair it. I carefully sand off some outside diameter at the tip of the rod and fill a female threaded .17/20 cal Hoppe's Elite jag with epoxy. Then threaded it back on the fiber rod. Now it is a dedicated rod for my .17 and .204. The Wipe-Out bore cleaner works well for me without having to use a brush.

Quote Originally Posted by 243LRP
    Dewey.
    +1
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

I have both Dewey and Tipton and like both of them.

Basic Member

I use a 17 Dearth on my .204.

coonhunter70

Take a look at the Pro Shot brand.

Don - LongRangeSupply

You can clean that 204 without a cleaning rod.....

Wipe Out / Patch Out and a pull through cleaning string made out of weedeater line or a bore snake (be sure to remove the wire brush ! - That brush in the 17 cal pull through bore snake is just asking for trouble especially in a 17 bore. The first time I used one in a 17 cal I knew I was in trouble by the time I had pulled it 4 inches into the bore. Thankfully it didn't break in the bore but it came mighty close. With the wire brush in there you cannot pull it back out the other way if it breaks off plus it makes it darned near impossible to push it out with a rod.

I am not a fan of the Dewey or the Tipton 17 cal rods. They are too skinny but there isn't much you can do about it since they have to fit inside a 17 cal bore, but I would take the Tipton over the Dewey. ( I own both)
    The Dewey bends and the coating flakes off on all my Dewey rods.

Maybe one made of titanium would keep from bending? Steel sure isn't the answer.

Trent

I use a Pro Shot .17 - .20 cal cleaning rod on my .17 HMR and on my .204R. It works perfect on them both. I also use ProShot rods in my other calibers and I have no complaints at all.

My coated Tipton easily gets the coating chipped and shaved off but it still works just fine.