Thread: Savage MkII/93 Action Screws

mh434

Savage MkII/93 Action Screws

Well, like others before me, I'm on the hunt for the elusive #12-32 button-head screws for my MkII.

I got a Boyd's Tacticool stock for it (and MAN, is it NICE!! - perfect drop-in fit, too!), and made my own magazine well floor plate & trigger guard for it (out of 1/8" plate steel - torquing shouldn't be a problem!) but, of course, I don't have long enough action screws.

Initially, I thought "Well, that won't be a problem - I'll just make my own" but, despite having a comprehensive selection of taps & dies, #12-32 ain't among them. Interestingly, metric .8 pitch appears to be exactly the same but, of course, it's a diameter that isn't available in a M .8.

I eventually cut some on my lathe, using stainless 1/4" socket head bolts as sacrificial fasteners. They ended up slightly undersize (although long enough).

Unfortunately, living in Canada (where Savage rimfires are all made), replacement screws aren't readily available, and no one in the US that carries them will ship to Canada. I may have to try getting them from Savage direct, but I don't know what problems there will be with getting them *back into Canada*. Strangely, as I understand it, ITAR considers this "export of US military technology" (anybody care to explain this one to me - parts made here, can't be sent back here... ???).

Of course, anyone who has tried the usual sources (McMaster/Carr, Acklands/Grainger, etc.) has discovered that these bolts are apparently made of 100% pure "Unobtainium". Even my buckets 'o bolts (collected over 40 years of tinkering with everything from guns to submarines, British cars to Japanese motorcycles, computers to microwave ovens) don't contain anything even close.

Anywayyyy...my question (thanks for bearing with my through my rant!) is - has anyone ever found an "alternate source" for 12-32 screws? Parts for a specific car, perhaps, or maybe refrigerator compressor bolts, or something?

If someone DOES locate an alternate source, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE post it!!!

thomae

Re: Savage MkII/93 Action Screws

You are correct...very hard to find. ???
    Here is something; not exctly what you wanted, but perhaps these links might help with your problem.
    First: SOCKET HEAD LONG BLANK SCREW
    Second: 12-32 dies
    Third: 12-32 Taps

Or you could drill and re-tap the hole for a more available thread size.

Or you could have order them and have them shipped to a friend or forum member in the USA who could then simply ship you some bolts.

Basic Member

If I recall correctly, SSS Fred said to just tap them 1/4-28

Basic Member

+1
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

arcticrobot

Re: Re: Savage MkII/93 Action Screws

order them from dip to my us address, pay me through paypal for shipping and i will send them to you. those are just bolts, military technology, demons!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

mh434

Re: Re: Savage MkII/93 Action Screws

Quote Originally Posted by arcticrobot
    order them from dip to my us address, pay me through paypal for shipping and i will send them to you. those are just bolts, military technology, demons!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
    Thank you for that kind offer!! In the end, I ordered the MkII TR screws & trigger guard from Savage, and fabricated the bottom plate myself, from 1/8" plate steel. If I hadn't, I'd be taking you up on your offer, sir!!

Careful, though - there's a lot of us Canucks looking to do this!!! ;D

mh434

Just as a follow up, I got the parts from Savage that I ordered.

Surprisingly, I was really impressed with the trigger guard...probably because I didn't order the blued version, but rather the flat black version intended for the MkII TR. It arrived with a nice, hard black-phosphate type coating that looks like it will last a long time. And, unlike the blued version, it appears that casting seams etc. were all polished off prior to phosphating.

The screws, too, I ordered as though I had MkII TR. That eliminated the confusion over which length to get, which part numbers for the screws, etc., and the ones that arrived were exactly the right ones.

bigdonkey73

MH434
    Hi Im new to this forum and was wondering how you were able to order the screws and guard from savage? i am also in Canada and find it very frustrating that there is no opption for these screws. i have several MKii actions and wanted to start adding a few bits and pieces to them also I build pillars and base plates for the Savage rimfires but for the life of me can't find anywhere in canada that offers the screws in that tread. could you fill me in as too how the process went with savage.
    Thanks

mh434

I just called Savage's 1-800 parts number (1-(800) 370-0708), and told them I needed the action screws and trigger guard for a MkII TR model. They were very helpful, and the parts were quite reasonably priced, and shipped quickly.

The trigger guard for the TR model is very nicely finished in what appears to be a hard, black-phosphate finish. Goes perfectly with the Boyd's TactiCool stock.

echoarms
    Tag for info. Midway is sold out of trigger guard screws.