Well, like others before me, I'm on the hunt for the elusive #12-32 button-head screws for my MkII.

I got a Boyd's Tacticool stock for it (and MAN, is it NICE!! - perfect drop-in fit, too!), and made my own magazine well floor plate & trigger guard for it (out of 1/8" plate steel - torquing shouldn't be a problem!) but, of course, I don't have long enough action screws.

Initially, I thought "Well, that won't be a problem - I'll just make my own" but, despite having a comprehensive selection of taps & dies, #12-32 ain't among them. Interestingly, metric .8 pitch appears to be exactly the same but, of course, it's a diameter that isn't available in a M .8.

I eventually cut some on my lathe, using stainless 1/4" socket head bolts as sacrificial fasteners. They ended up slightly undersize (although long enough).

Unfortunately, living in Canada (where Savage rimfires are all made), replacement screws aren't readily available, and no one in the US that carries them will ship to Canada. I may have to try getting them from Savage direct, but I don't know what problems there will be with getting them *back into Canada*. Strangely, as I understand it, ITAR considers this "export of US military technology" (anybody care to explain this one to me - parts made here, can't be sent back here... ???).

Of course, anyone who has tried the usual sources (McMaster/Carr, Acklands/Grainger, etc.) has discovered that these bolts are apparently made of 100% pure "Unobtainium". Even my buckets 'o bolts (collected over 40 years of tinkering with everything from guns to submarines, British cars to Japanese motorcycles, computers to microwave ovens) don't contain anything even close.

Anywayyyy...my question (thanks for bearing with my through my rant!) is - has anyone ever found an "alternate source" for 12-32 screws? Parts for a specific car, perhaps, or maybe refrigerator compressor bolts, or something?

If someone DOES locate an alternate source, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE post it!!!