Thread: Savage Smooth Barrel Nut

Basic Member

Savage Smooth Barrel Nut

I would like to know, for those who may have done this, after removing a smooth barrel nut from a new Savage rifle and rebarreling the gun, can you replace the nut with the old style barrel nut for headspacing. I ask because I have the Wheeler style nut wrench and would prefer to use a 1/2" torque wrench in the cut outs provided on the wrench to remove the nut and retorque it for headspacing. I do understand a different style wrench would be required to remove the smooth nut. Thank you.

airaddict

Re: Savage Smooth Barrel Nut

I've done it, it's easier using the old grooved nuts. What did u use to remove the smooth nut? I plan to use a pipe wrench for my new model 11.

Brian

Cycler

Yes, the old-style grooved nut is a direct replacement for the smooth one.

I just got my grooved barrel nut in the mail to replace my smooth one. The smooth ones do look alot nicer, but I already have the old style wrench as well so I figured I'd go with that instead of trying to order a new wrench.

As for taking off the smooth nut, I used a pipe wrench to get mine off. It wasnt that hard at all and the wrench actually only put 2 small marks on the smooth nut. I almost tried putting it back on the same way to see if it would hide the marks but then just ordered a new grooved nut. So now i have a very smooth looking paper in my gun box...LOL
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Basic Member

airaddict:

I have not done this yet, as I'm trying to decide whether to just buy a new rifle in this style and later rebarrel using the older nut, instead of trying to find a used rifle or action. I like the newer style bolt release and wanted an action with the detachable magazine.

airaddict

If ur gonna keep it, buy the wrench from SSS so u can reuse the smooth nut. Ivenusednthat wrench before and it does work well. The problem with using that wrench is that u have to completely remove the scope and base where on my grooved nut wrench I can swap barrels without messing with the scope at all.

The bottom bolt release was a pain to work with when it came to replacing stocks. Jmho. It does give it a streamlined look tho.

Brian

Team Savage

pdog06
    if you are interested in getting rid of the smooth nut
    let me know

drybean

Basic Member

If you had a barrel vise and an action wrench, I would imagine you could use the action wrench to turn the receiver enough to separate it from the smooth nut and then take the barrel off. Rebarrel it with the grooved nut, which I believe would allow you to use a torque wrench for more consistent and easier tightening of the nut with the Wheeler Savage nut wrench. Is this feasible? I have never removed a barrel before, but hope to in the future. Thanks.

airaddict

Quote Originally Posted by drybean
    pdog06
    if you are interested in getting rid of the smooth nut
    let me know

drybean
    drybean,

once i get my new model 11 u can have the smooth nut that will be coming off it if u want it. I plan to replace it with an extra stainless one i have on hand and a SSS lug while i have the barrel off. All i ask is to cover shipping. Ill try not to marr it up to much with the pipe wrench i plan to use. Its gonna be matte blued. Hopefully i should be getting it later on this week. Shoot me a pm if u want it. Tha.ks.

Brian

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill616 View Post
    If you had a barrel vise and an action wrench, I would imagine you could use the action wrench to turn the receiver enough to separate it from the smooth nut and then take the barrel off. Rebarrel it with the grooved nut, which I believe would allow you to use a torque wrench for more consistent and easier tightening of the nut with the Wheeler Savage nut wrench. Is this feasible? I have never removed a barrel before, but hope to in the future. Thanks.
    Even with the two tools the barrel nut wrench would not get tight enough to keep from sliping.

Basic Member
    Here is how I gotten a few of them off...now please understand that I was not at all worried about scuffing or maring up the smooth nut in the process....I just wanted them off to swap barrels and then replaced with the old style nut.
    Wrap regular silver duct tape around the entire nut about 2 or 3 thicknesses as tight as you can pull it. Now use a pipe wrench to tighten down on the nut while you hold the action in an action wrench. I good lick with a dead blow hammer and it should break loose. Worked for me more than once anyway.