First post here. I have been a member here a while and did lots of reading. I am just looking for a little guidance on my project.

I wanted to build a 458 Win Mag based on a Savage/Stevens action. I ordered a 300 Win Mag Stevens 200 so I had the correct bolt head. Then I ordered a 17" 458 Win Mag barrel in the Savage varmint contour. Ordered a Wheeler barrel nut wrench and currently waiting for that to come in so I can take the barrel off. I had 2 quick questions.

The first has to do with the stock/mag. I need a 110 action stock with what I believe is a Centerfeed blind mag. Finding one for a reasonable price with the larger barrel channel is kind of tough. I saw a thread somewhere about modifying a staggerfeed stock to accept a centerfeed action but I dont know where I saw it at. Is there a way to convert it to a mag fed system? If so, will that open up the stock options?

The second question has to do with headspace. If I am reading correctly, 458 win mag indexes off the belt at the base of the cartridge. Therefore, I should not need a go/no-go gauge, correct?

The reason I went with a 17" barrel is for compactness and the fact this will be primarily a subsonic thumper with the ability to shoot supersonic ashtrays. Thanks for any input you guys can provide.