Thread: Savage 12 staggerfeed bolt head

nuclabuyer

Savage 12 staggerfeed bolt head

I am looking for a WSM bolt head for a Savage 12 accutrigger staggerfeed, but I can only find WSM bolt head for Centerfeeds. Do they make them?

Basic Member

Re: Savage 12 staggerfeed bolt head

are you looking for a push feed or controlled round feed?
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

nuclabuyer

Isnt a stagger feed action, push feed?

cgeorgemo

Magnums are controlled round feed. They have a 12 VLP DBM in 300 WSM on the website. Any reason that one's bolt head wouldn't work?

nuclabuyer

This action is a 12FV and is a 204 currently face currently. I have sense changed my plans and this will be going on a long action so I can run the bullets long, but for future I would like to figure this out. So i would need to change the stagger feed to a centerfeed to run a magnum caliber on a SA. Is that what I am hearing? It will be a single shot so I dont want to mount a center feed box etc.

OK, I think I can clear this up. Centerfeed and Stagger-feed have nothing to do with the type of bolt head. You have heads for Long Action, and ones for Short Action. Then you have your sizes, 204/223 type, 7.62/PPC type, 308/30-06 type, and Magnum type. In the magnums you have Push-Feed and Controlled Round Feed. The only other difference in bolt heads is the firing pin Diameter. I believe that most of the newer rifles use the smaller pin and some older ones used the larger.

Centerfeed and Stagger-feed are magazine types and do not dictate what bolt head fits what action.

As for the OP's rifle being a 12FV in 204 on a Stagger-feed Action, to convert to say 300WSM and keep it a repeater he would need a Short Action, Push-feed, Magnum Sized Bolt Head and Change out the magazine to a WSM Stagger-feed Magazine Box and Follower.

All of this information is posted in a more detailed thread in the FAQ section here on the site, it also has threads on the different types of actions, Magazines, and about everything Savage.

I hope this has helped a bit in your search for answers. :)

P.S.- When you see a WSM bolt head listed as a WSM-CF, then it is meant that the bolt head is a WSM Controlled Round Feed not a WSM Centerfeed. I think that may be where your confusion is at.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

cgeorgemo

Also the ejector is different on WSM bolt heads. It is a pin that attaches to the trigger cross pin and rides in a grove on the bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by cgeorgemo
    Also the ejector is different on WSM bolt heads. It is a pin that attaches to the trigger cross pin and rides in a grove on the bolt.
    But only if its a WSM-CRF Bolt Head. If its a Push-feed type, then its got the standard plunger type ejector.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

cgeorgemo

Quote Originally Posted by bootsmcguire
    But only if its a WSM-CRF Bolt Head. If its a Push-feed type, then its got the standard plunger type ejector.
    See I can learn something new today. I didn't know that there was push feed heads for WSM I thought they were all CRF.

Anybody know where I can get a LA bolt head for a Stevens 200 with a .223 Remington sized head?

Nope, some were P-Feed, but I believe they are a tad rare. I have yet to see one personally and I can't say that I have seen one in stock anywhere online for awhile either. However I have read a thread here that talked about how to convert a Long Action Magnum head to work on a Short Action. Really for me, I would just build a WSM on a Long Action. Then there is no worry about OAL with heavy bullets seated out long. Only downside to using a LA is very few are Large Shank, and 99.9% of all factory Savage WSM barrels are Large Shank so a person better go aftermarket on the barrel or plan on having a smith change a factory barrel from large to small shank.

A Long Action 223 head can be a bit hard to come buy. Most people that have them hang onto them, and when they do come up for sale around here they go pretty quick. I believe SSS can make you one or may have one in stock. Give Lisa at SSS a call and check it out.

Good Shooting and Good Luck,

Boots

nuclabuyer

Ok, i think i understand. I thought that a controlled round feed and a center feed had to coexist to work properly. I was under the impression that a centerfeed bolt head had to fed from the bottom up into the bolt head. And a push feed and a stagger feed mag went to gather because the bolt head on push feed gun will snap into the bolt head from the front instead of up from the bottom.

Most Savages are Push feed with Stagger or Center feed mags. You are correct that the Push feed snaps over the brass from the rear, and the CRF allows the brass to slip up from the bottom. Mag type should not make a difference. I personally have had better feeding from center feed mags, but the stagger feed mags take less force to load.

I will say the the Center feed and CRF together have supposedly made the reliability of the WSMs much better. Cannot confirm that, but just what I have heard.

Does anyone have a picture of the two types side by side??????? I have never understood the difference.

Westcliffe01

Savage 116 controlled feed bolt head picture http://www.midwayusa.com/product/848...ort-magnum-wsm

Same part for Savage 10-16 (includes 12 according to feedback left) The picture is not as good or from the same perspective
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/866...n-ultra-magnum

I think we all know what a regular push feed bolt looks like:

Now I have personally not seen one of the controlled feed actions (no magnums in this house yet...) so I do not know where the ejector fits in the action ? I assume it is built in ? So how does one switch from a push feed to controlled feed ?

If someone could post side by side pics of the action, they would be very illuminating..

Thanks for the pics.