Thread: Stevens 200 458 Win Mag project

Stevens 200 458 Win Mag project

First post here. I have been a member here a while and did lots of reading. I am just looking for a little guidance on my project.

I wanted to build a 458 Win Mag based on a Savage/Stevens action. I ordered a 300 Win Mag Stevens 200 so I had the correct bolt head. Then I ordered a 17" 458 Win Mag barrel in the Savage varmint contour. Ordered a Wheeler barrel nut wrench and currently waiting for that to come in so I can take the barrel off. I had 2 quick questions.

The first has to do with the stock/mag. I need a 110 action stock with what I believe is a Centerfeed blind mag. Finding one for a reasonable price with the larger barrel channel is kind of tough. I saw a thread somewhere about modifying a staggerfeed stock to accept a centerfeed action but I dont know where I saw it at. Is there a way to convert it to a mag fed system? If so, will that open up the stock options?

The second question has to do with headspace. If I am reading correctly, 458 win mag indexes off the belt at the base of the cartridge. Therefore, I should not need a go/no-go gauge, correct?

The reason I went with a 17" barrel is for compactness and the fact this will be primarily a subsonic thumper with the ability to shoot supersonic ashtrays. Thanks for any input you guys can provide.

Re: Stevens 200 458 Win Mag project

Quote Originally Posted by srt-4_uk
    First post here. I have been a member here a while and did lots of reading. I am just looking for a little guidance on my project.

I wanted to build a 458 Win Mag based on a Savage/Stevens action. I ordered a 300 Win Mag Stevens 200 so I had the correct bolt head. Then I ordered a 17" 458 Win Mag barrel in the Savage varmint contour. Ordered a Wheeler barrel nut wrench and currently waiting for that to come in so I can take the barrel off. I had 2 quick questions.

The first has to do with the stock/mag. I need a 110 action stock with what I believe is a Centerfeed blind mag. Finding one for a reasonable price with the larger barrel channel is kind of tough. I saw a thread somewhere about modifying a staggerfeed stock to accept a centerfeed action but I dont know where I saw it at. Is there a way to convert it to a mag fed system? If so, will that open up the stock options?

The second question has to do with headspace. If I am reading correctly, 458 win mag indexes off the belt at the base of the cartridge. Therefore, I should not need a go/no-go gauge, correct?

The reason I went with a 17" barrel is for compactness and the fact this will be primarily a subsonic thumper with the ability to shoot supersonic ashtrays. Thanks for any input you guys can provide.
    Welcome to the "Brotherhood of the Barrel Nut". As far as headspacing your barrel, I would use at least a GO gauge to set the HS and put two pieces of Scoth brand tape on the gauge to make it a NO GO gauge. A second method would be a piece of brass trimmed to proper length, again using the tape as a NO GO.

The centerfeed magazine can be bedded in a staggerfeed stock it just required aligning the magazine so it feeds properly and wedging it in place or bedding it in epoxy if you want it permanent. As you've discovered, there's not a lot of choices for a long action. There have been a number of discussions about that in the forums but will require a search in past entries.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Not knowing what style or make of stock you want I going to help make your day.
    Fitting a mag will take you roughly an hour and a popcycle stick with a dab of epoxy.If you decide to bed the mag the little L clip will no longer be needed.
    If you meant to convert to a DBM then you either need some Dremmel or router skills or have someone with them as a friend, but it can be done.
    The barrel will take less time with 2 pieces of sand paper(1 coarse 1 fine) and a wooden dowel or a 1" socket
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

stangfish

Headspacing and Reloading.

Headspacing
    You need a belted magnum go gauge. Set the chamber .001 - .002 loose to the belt (.003 maximum). Set the belt headspace tight and then torque the nut. That tension should pull the clearance needed. Ask any smith...The Belted Magnums are not set with the same tolerance as the non belted cases. Most chambers are longer than the new brass between the belt and the shoulder. This is the reason you cannot use the non belted magnum clearances.

Reloading
    Once you have fired your brass to fit your chamber, the case will grow to met the shoulder, then you can neck size for better accuracy and case life. When the bolt gets "sticky" bump the shoulder back with a full length die. Belted Magnums can start to swell just above the belt at which time you will need to get a special bushing die or retire the brass. There are some good Posts on this on the WWW.

Eric in NC

Quote Originally Posted by stangfish
    Headspacing and Reloading.

Headspacing
    You need a belted magnum go gauge. Set the chamber .001 - .002 loose to the belt (.003 maximum). Set the belt headspace tight and then torque the nut. That tension should pull the clearance needed. Ask any smith...The Belted Magnums are not set with the same tolerance as the non belted cases. Most chambers are longer than the new brass between the belt and the shoulder. This is the reason you cannot use the non belted magnum clearances.

Reloading
    Once you have fired your brass to fit your chamber, the case will grow to met the shoulder, then you can neck size for better accuracy and case life. When the bolt gets "sticky" bump the shoulder back with a full length die. Belted Magnums can start to swell just above the belt at which time you will need to get a special bushing die or retire the brass. There are some good Posts on this on the WWW.
    458 doesn't have a shoulder though. Straight taper.

Basic Member

458 magnum in a Steven/Savage action!!! The action is strong enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Buster95
    458 magnum is a Steven/Savage action!!! The action is strong enough?
    Most definitely. Savage used to offer a 458 in their line up at one time. I have one built from a 30-06 Stevens 200. Has worked great so far.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by bootsmcguire
    Most definitely. Savage used to offer a 458 in their line up at one time. I have one built from a 30-06 Stevens 200. Has worked great so far.
    Very interesting!!!

stangfish

Quote Originally Posted by Eric in NC
    458 doesn't have a shoulder though. Straight taper.
    Doh!!!

The headspace part is right though.

Eric in NC

I have a factory 375 H&H - plenty strong for that. Strong enough for the Ultra Mags too (though they did go to the large shank barrels after a while - just for the extra safety).

Baryngyl

Quote Originally Posted by bootsmcguire
    I too built one on a older 30-06 Stevens 200.
    Just need to work on the magazine yet to get it to feed right and then get out and shoot it a bunch more.

Michael Grace

Thanks for all the input guys. I think for the stock, I will go with a B&C DuraMaxx and try to find a stock Savage LA DBM. It should be easy to find the bottom metal since many upgrade to ACIS pattern DBM. It would be really nice to find a factory stock with factory DBM but I think that would be a little tougher. I dont want "tactical" stock because I want to hunt with it. Carrying around my 10FCP HS Precision through the woods sucked. Then again, the 17" barrel should be significantly lighter than the 24".

Thanks for the tips on the headspace. I'll order a go gauge from Brownells.

Basic Member

I know there has been a LOT of discussion on this, but if it were ME, and you have to order them anyway, I would get a go and No go gauge. No messing with tape and wondering. I would hate to buy a box of factory ammo somewhere that was made to max end of specs, only to find it wouldn't chamber.

Just MY $.02

This gun will see only handloaded ammunition. 458 Win Mag ammo is REALLY expensive.

ellobo

What will you be hunting with a .458 mag and subsonic bullets out of a short barrel? Try cast Lyman bullets made for the 45-70 with your reduced loads. I like the 300 gr. one in a 45-70. Cast them hard. They were great out of my 2 45-70's when I had them. Both Remigton rolling block actions.

El Lobo.

A lead 500-600gr should take down a deer nice and quietly. Much better option than a 220gr 300BLK that wont expand. Since the gun will see 90% handloaded subsonics, the short barrel wont make a difference.