Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mcgowan barrel ??

goob

Mcgowan barrel ??

Just got my barrel from them today. Screwed off the 223 barrel on my model 12 to put on my new 6.5 tcu barrel
    . Well the barrel nut will olny screw on about half way and also the action will screw up about an 1/2 inch and gets stuck. It seems to be the threads on the new barrel. Any one else ever had this problem. Do you think they will fix this.

Team Savage

Re: Mcgowan barrel ??

sounds like the threads my be proud
    run a flat file over the top of the threads

drybean

82boy

Quote Originally Posted by drybean
    drybean
    +1
    McGowan will stand behind their work, gust give them a call.

Do you think they will fix this.
    Definetly! Keep us up to date or you may PM me with any concerns,

Dennis
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

SinoS

Are any of these parts stainless steel. If so use some anti seize on the threads. I read an article where SS barrels and actions will often gaul easily and bind. The anit seize lubricates the threads allowing and easy assembly. I haven't taken posession of my McGowan barrels yet but this is how I will assemble.

Dino

Stainless steel on stainless steel can gaul in a heartbeat, often with no warning.

I'd pull the barrel back off and check to see if there is any obvious damage. If the nut and/or barrel will not thread off, it is more than likely galled.

We used to have a heck of a time with stainless fittings on flexible hoses siezing up tight. When they gall like that, nothing you can do but cut them apart. A little antiseize or licktite to lube the threads is never a bad thing in moderation.
    FTR in 223, BA LE Tactical in 308, 110 Flatback in CBI 6mmBR Norma, Others

Quote Originally Posted by drybean

drybean
    Do this. It is a very common problem and easily fixed. Less than 5 minutes and you'll be ready to go.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Do this. It is a very common problem and easily fixed. Less than 5 minutes and you'll be ready to go.
    Do you think this was caused by the shipping carrier?

I just recieved my 284 barrel and the box was torn up bad. It almost looks like the barrel may have fallen out and they put it back in and retaped the box.

I am going to check the barrel in the morning just to see if the nut will screw all the way down! I am currently working on the stock and hope to have this build complete within two months!

The threads on the barrel have a sharp point at the peak that needs to be removed.

This needs to be done because the valley of the threads on the nut and action have a small radius at the root.

"Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Basic Member

I use cloth sandpaper to knock the sharp edges down on the threads, do a bit at a time till it screws right in.
    Cup it in your hand and spin the bbl on it whilst squeezing, use masking tape to wrap the bbl at the ends of the threads.

SMK Shoe

[quote=drybean ]
    +1

Had the same problem with about half my McGowen barrels. Had one that I couldn't get thru a aftermarket recoil lug. Little bit of cleaning the top of the threads with sandpaper and good to go. Work slow and it will workout.

goob

Well i called them monday and told a guy my problem. He said that basicly savage actions were junk but if i would send him the barrel and the action they would put it together for me. He ask if my action was blued ??? (It is) and told me that stainless barrels do not go together with blued barrel nuts, but the 223 barrel that was on it was also stainless with no problems screwing on. It cost me $25.00 dollars to send it back that i tought they should have taken care of. So i am hopeing i will not get charged for thier mistake also.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull! Many other machinists can make it work with out blaming every thing but them selves.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

squirrelduster

Quote Originally Posted by goob
    Well i called them monday and told a guy my problem. He said that basicly savage actions were junk but if i would send him the barrel and the action they would put it together for me. He ask if my action was blued ??? (It is) and told me that stainless barrels do not go together with blued barrel nuts, but the 223 barrel that was on it was also stainless with no problems screwing on. It cost me $25.00 dollars to send it back that i tought they should have taken care of. So i am hopeing i will not get charged for thier mistake also.
    Sounds like this guy is wound a little too tight.
    I have a stainless McGowen with a blued nut and action and it works fine.

riverat

Sounds to me like you have a Bullsmith instead of Gunsmith.now i heard it all LOL

Jeff

Basic Member

I had the same problem last year. Sandpaper/filing did not help. I sent the barrel back and they fixed it promply and returned it to me.

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...html#msg286635

goob, PM sent to you concerning the comment on Savage Actions.

I will be awaiting for your reply.

sparky123321

If you have a scope base mounted make sure your front base screw isn't too long and interfering with the threads. I've had it happen before even with high-end bases.

Quote Originally Posted by sparky123321
    If you have a scope base mounted make sure your front base screw isn't too long and interfering with the threads. I've had it happen before even with high-end bases.
    He can't even get the nut on.

sinman

Sounds more like a salesman than a gunsmith, it is a common problem with them.

Basic Member

Not a huge shock with McGowen. They have been known to lie about things. I was surprised to hear another member tell the exact same story I got from them, but many months apart. Seems they must have a list of BS to spread around to cover their mistakes on hand. Maybe they put excuses in a magic 8 ball and just shake it when you call to complain. I will say, their correctly finished products do shoot.( I own 3, and had trouble with orders #2 and #3) I will not order another from them.

bogger01

man,i'm gald that i'm not the only one with problems from them.i had them build me a 338 edge barrel about a year ago.i also had them install a brake that needed timing.they said it was a 5-6 week wait.about 8 weeks later they called and told me my muzzlebrake was out of coentricity and i needed another.he said the hole was off center and the bullet would strike the brake .they said they could duplicate this brake in house and it would be free of charge.ok.this is where i start to get mad.2 weeks later no barrel.i called and they said that the machinist was out of town and couldn't do the brake until next week.after that he said it just needed blueing.i said i didn't order blueing as i was going to paint the barrel.he called me a liar and said when i made the phone call to make the order i said to blue it.well,i didn't call the order in i did it thru emails(which i saved for future referances).nothing about blueing.anyway,2 more weeks nothing,i called and he said the same excuse about the machinist being out of town but he would install one of his brakes and his gunsmith was in house and could do it right then.then he could blue it and send it home.by this point i am ready to pull my hair out and explained again that didn't want it blued.i was basically called a liar again..i agreed to the brake and went about my buisness.1 week later he called said my barrel was finished but i would have to handle the brake on my own.the barrel was threaded but not timed.i paid the nice lady on the phone and a week later the barreld action was here.i took the barreled action to a gunsmith and had him check the brake.nothing was wrong with it except it was over timed.anyway,the barrel shoots very well and i have no complints there but i will never use,buy or accept as a gift another mcgowen barrel.i feel better now.

It always seems the bad comes out with a thread like this! Goob's barrel is being taken care of! Bottom Line!
    This issue could be discussed further, just like several others could be discussed further, as there are two sides!

Personally, I have 7 McGowen tac driving barrels with NO issues and have sold several for McGowen!

I currently have a company who saw my success with my McGowen barrels and this person ordered 10 of them! Four are already on pre-ordered complete rifles!

Four of the top shooters in our match's are using McGowen barrels!

I personally have experienced nothing but "professional" service from McGowen, along with good products! In Austriala, they are the top selling barrel in that country! There barrels make it to several other countries besides the USA!

Situations allways arise with any company, and they can be resolved!

I have a situation with Kreiger I could discuss, but it would be worthless to do so! Other than it's for sale!

Basic Member

Dennis, just as it should be, the bad should come out. I have a Code of Ethics at work, and I try to live my life by it outside of work also. I don't tolerate liars at work, I am not friends with liars outside of work, so why would I give my business to liars? There are WAY TOO MANY examples of McGowen's poor ethics on this site. Maybe people will sit up and take notice. It doesn't matter to me if they screw up on my barrel as long as they make it right. If they lie to me during the process, then I have a big problem. Especially when it happens twice on consecutive orders.

Most of us agree their barrels shoot well, and I always say mine do. I still won't order another barrel from them because of the behavior of the people I have talked to at that company.

I still won't order another barrel from them because of the behavior of the people I have talked to at that company.
    I don't disagree with the above, I live by the same standards! Just tell the truth and make the situation right!

Otherwise, I do like their barrels and have good service out of them!

I have gotten to know several of the people from McGowen, I will see if I can bring the "attitude" issue up. I know this is just as important as a good product!

I think every company you deal with, at some point, there will be an issue. As I stated, I have had a few myself! If I hear of one with any company I just try to help if I can!

Dennis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast