Thread: 12FTR/6.5x55 Swede

Luckus

12FTR/6.5x55 Swede

I have been thinking about getting a new barrel for my 12FTR, and have been leaning towards the 260 Rem. Two of the guys I shoot with have recently built 260Ai's on 700 actions, and are doing very well. I also have a couple of 6.5x55 Swedish hunting rifles that I like a bunch. I just checked to see if 6.5x55 cases would fit in my 12's bolt face, and they fit perfect. I would probably go with a 30" 1 in 8 Brux barrel. Has anybody done this 6.5x55 conversion in this rifle and if so how did it work? I see case capacities are similar ot the 260, so I think velocities would be similar. Any input would be welcomed. Lucus

TOO Builder

Re: 12FTR/6.5x55 Swede

Built a 6'5x55AI on a RBLP target action. 30", 8 twist Mcgowen barrel gives me 3050fps with the 120 NBT's and 130 Berger VLD's. Go Ackley, you'll love it.

sinman

I have built a few for customers in hunting and Target configurations. Both are very accurate and if you love the 6.5x55 you will be happy with a Target version.

dcloco

TooBuilder and I share the 6.5x55 AI love affair. Mine is built on a single shot long action, wrapped in a BVSS stock, with the Rock Creek 1:8 twist stainless barrel bedded in the stock.

I went with the AI to gain just a little more case capacity AND the affordable brass. Nosler is having a sale on x55 brass with free shipping right now. Great brass at a killer deal - does not get cheaper.

My barrel runs 142 gr Sierra HPBT's at 3050 in the 31" barrel over 48'ish grains of H4831sc. I use Win, Rem, and Lapua brass. Some of my best groups have been shot with the Win and Rem brass....so don't discount either brand. I do fully prep the brass prior to fireforming...including giving the necks a light turn. After fireforming, I do neck turn the brass for final fit. There is a noticeable change in accuracy by controlling the "pull" of the neck on the bullets. 0.002 to 0.0025 seems to be the sweet spot on 223, 22/6mm AI, 6.5x55 AI, and 300 Win Mag.

Granted, my rifle does weigh quite a bit, but is a sheer pleasure to shoot. Yesterday, we were popping prairie dogs in the 480 to 640 yard range. My shooting partner yesterday, was tagging them right along with me, with a 6.5x284. Both rifles were dumping the bullets out of the end of the barrel at or very, very near the same speed. What is the difference? His brass is a buck a piece....IF he can find them at that price.

I don't think I would build any 6.5 caliber on the FTR action. You will not be able to eject a live round - overall length is too long. Hence, why I went with the single shot long action. To take advantage of your parent case capacity, seat the bullets out long. The 142 SMk's are not that long, but the 140 gr AMax's should be named F18's....they are that long and pointed...and seem like they have fins that pop out after leaving the barrel and then the afterburner is kicked on.

davemuzz

I built my 6.5 Swede on a Model 12 action single shot, with a Shilen barrel and the only time I have a problem is when I have to eject a live round of a loaded Berger bullet. The Berger 140gr. VLD is about ten-thou to long. I've thought of having the port machined just to make it work...but a quick bump with my finger will knock the cartridge off the bolt, and the cartridge is easy to remove.

Loading with any 120 or 130gr. bullet is no problem. So, if you already have a short action receiver, I would not be concerned about wrenching on the 6.5 Swede.

Now...that said, I shoot with a good friend who has the 260 Rem. My Swede has a countour barrel and his 260 Rem has a bull barrel. He can shoot "more" rounds and keep tighter groups then my lighter contour barrel....but for the first ten rounds....they are pretty much dead even in groups, velocity, and "fun" factor!!

We hunt groundhogs long range with 'em and have a darn good time doing that.

So....Swede or Rem??? The Rem brass can be formed from the .308 if you need to do so...plus I buy only Norma or Lapua brass as it is the only brass that will stand up to the high end loads I give it....and give me more than 3 or 4 reloads that the RP brass will do.

If I were to do it again, I'd probably go with the Rem. Accuracy is the same...brass is cheaper and easy to get or make. But you can't go wrong with either.

MHO

Dave

Luckus

I haven't decided which way to go yet. Im leaning toward the Swede as I have dies for it,( but probably get a Forster seater) mainly because two other guys I shoot with are using 260AI's. I would use the same barrel taper thats on my 12FTR now, and the same length. I think the Swede would be a good choice, but will make the final decision this fall. Thanks to all, Lucus

barthmonster

the 6.5's are too confusing for me. 260, 260AI, 6.5x55 plus AI, 6.5 Creedmore, 6.5-284.

Do either the 260AI or 6.5x55AI have a higher velocity than the 6.5 Creedmore ?

davemuzz

Quote Originally Posted by barthmonster
    the 6.5's are too confusing for me. 260, 260AI, 6.5x55 plus AI, 6.5 Creedmore, 6.5-284.

Do either the 260AI or 6.5x55AI have a higher velocity than the 6.5 Creedmore ?
    Well....."Truth be told" (Truth!!!....you can't handle....Oh, nevermind) if you go to Hodgdon's web site at http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp and look at say....each of the cartridges you mentioned and at the 140gr. bullet,, you will find that they are probably within 100fps of each other in terms of velocity.

With maybe the exception of the 6.5-284....which is probably the fastest of the bunch. But with the fastest comes matters such as more powder per load, and less case life per cartridge. (Generally speaking).

Also, barrels have a significant effect on velocity. I can get my 6.5 Swede to shoot the Berger 140gr. VLD at 2800fps consistently with Norma Brass using RL-22, with no pressure signs at all. I've shot hundreds of rounds and it's one of the most accurate. I shoot a Hornady 129gr., a Berger 140gr. VLD, and a Barnes 120gr. Trip-X. All shoot very accurately.....well under MOA....but the Berger is the best.

If you look at the Hodgdon site, you wont find a 6.5 Swede 140gr. load that will push it at that speed.

Again, the barrel (Mine is a Shilen) can make the difference. But again, I could wrench on another Shilen of the same caliber and it could give me pressure issues with the same load. So....what I'm saying is that each barrel is unique.

But....since I've babbled on long enough.....the 6.5's are basically within 100fps of each other. Just look at one you like....look at the availability of the brass, and go for it. You won't be sorry for buying one.

MHO

Dave

The first 6.5x55 I built was on a short action Savage no big deal to get a loaded case out. I now have 3 LA Savages in 6.5x55 and love them. Brass is easy to get unlike some of the other 6.5's. I shoot 95gr VMax to 142gr SMK's so it makes the rifles very useful. Have almost give up on 308 but to shoot subsonic loads. You would love the 6.5x55 with a suppressor.

Eric in NC

6.5-06 or 6.5-06AI - might not be able to eject loaded rounds without pulling the bolt but...

davemuzz

Quote Originally Posted by Eric in NC
    6.5-06 or 6.5-06AI - might not be able to eject loaded rounds without pulling the bolt but...

;D Well......the easy thing to do is never eject a live round!!!!!

davemuzz

Quote Originally Posted by nrar15
    I shoot 95gr VMax
    Nrar15....I just got a box of 95gr. V-max in with my last Midway order. In my Hornady reload book....I think I have the 6th edition.....there is no load using RL-22. I use RL-22 for my Barnes Trip-X 120gr., the Berger 140gr. VLD's, and my most favorite Hornady's 129gr. SST's.

Do you by chance load the 95gr. with RL-22? I was going to start with 48gr. of RL-22 and see how they performed.

Thanks.

Dave

Dave
    I am using 52gr of H4831SC did not run them through a chrono but they shot .427 with just a chance load. Need to do some load testing.
    Bob

davemuzz

Thanks Bob

Texasshooter36

May i suggest a6.5x55 GWI " George Wilson Improved" A guy from Kelby's designed this round it is supposed to be a great longe range cartridge out to 800 to 1000 yards with great barrel life. I am in the process of building one in a tactical set up myself!

Basic Member

I haven't got into loading up on my 6.5x55 much over the past year, the pipe has been sitting in a silicon sock for a long while now. In fact, I still have a big pile of the first Nosler CC's I ordered in '10 in the box. Now I have a LRP in .260, I am sure that will burn up much faster. During load development best I got was .4moa @ 200yrd with the 140gn CC's over RL-22, BR2 primers, in S&B once fired brass. That was in a short action, single shot loading right on top the .308 mag body. Those Nosler's are LONG and while I was having an issue with OAL vs. lands, I went back to school and shelved the shooting sport for a wile. This summer promises to have a bit more smoke and noise made.