Last fall I bought a new M12 LRPV .223. From day one it would drop the fired case off the extractor before it could eject. Picking the cases out of the port didn't bother me much during load work up, but my first ground squirrel shoot with it this spring happened during cold weather. Gloves on, picking out brass was a PITA. While cleaning the rifle after the shoot I wiggled the extractor plate to see if it was free. Failed to use the plastic bag routine, and of course the extractor and steel ball launched into space. Found the extractor, ball is history. What to do, had another shoot coming up, and all out of eighth inch steel balls. I had finished up a 1903 Springfield custom build recently, and had to replace a broken magazine cut off shaft plunger. Fortunately I had ordered two from Gun Parts Corp. With the shaft shortened the spare plunger fit down into the Savage ejector spring and hole perfectly. Extraction and ejection are now 100%. These plungers are less than two bucks, and are the first thing I would try for an extraction problem.