Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is a savage edge/axis xp accuracy like?

average_shot

What is a savage edge/axis xp accuracy like?

I was just wondering what the accuracy on the savage edge/axis xp accuracy was like because i have heard that it is very bad and i have also heard it is extremely accurate for the price. What's your opinion? ???

thomae

Re: What is a savage edge/axis xp accuracy like?

Everything I have heard is that it is a good value.
    The stock leaves something to be desired, and currently there are no aftermarket stocks, but many people report that it is extremely accurate nonetheless.

As with any package scope, the optics are nothing exceptional, but each person has his or her own opinion about optics.

average_shot

Okay thanks

average_shot

Would I be better off just buying the standard axis with no scope?

thomae

I would say that it depends on the purpose of your rifle. The package scope is likely a 3x9x40 basic scope. People have been successfully hunting with them for decades. For a deer rifle, in the woods, it probably is ok, although a better scope might get you a few more usable minutes (more light gathering ability) at dusk and dawn. Probably fine for a "truck" gun. You might want to upgrade if you are target shooting or want something for shooting at longer ranges. Me, personally, I'd save my money and get one without a scope, but I have several scopes lying around the workshop that are waiting for rifles. Check the prices of inexpensive scopes and if the package price is less, you might want to try it. If you don't have much cash, you can always save your money for something better while you are shooting this one.

Warning: Scopes are addictive and can be easily more expensive than most rifles. You can get expensive tastes really quickly. People purchase expensive scopes for a reason, and generally (but not always) more expensive scopes are better in some way or another. You have to decide how much money is worth how much improvement in your scope (better low light vision? better eye relief? Greater angular windage and elevation?, less color distortion). These are some of the things that money can buy in a scope. However, many people have successfully put lots and lots of food on the table with inexpensive scopes and even open sights as well. This is where your own preferences and experience plays a big part in your decision.

Anyone else wish to chime in? This is not a private conversation, and I certainly don't know it all. ;D

My brother and I ordered 2 from a local shop after reading a couple of reviews. These were labeled Edge before they were in stock at local dealers. Mine was in 7-08 and my bro got the 270. I was not impressed when I first disassembled mine for cleaning as everything about them seemed cheap (not inexpensive cheap)
    We put Leupold 2 piece mounts and rings on them. I chose a Vortex Diamondback 3-9x40 and he chose a Redfield Revolution 3-9x50. we both did the roll pin and spring trigger job on them before firing. I fired a total of 3 boxes out of mine, 1 Winchester power point,1 federal vital shock and 1 Remington core loct. The best group I fired was about 2" at 100 yards with the core locts which seemed to be the exception rather than the rule. Most of my groups were 4"+. A piece of the finish chipped and flaked off the side of the barrel from being placed in a wooden gun rack. I was horrified and removed the scope and bases, reinstalled the factory trigger spring and put it up for sale.
    I wound up accepting $225 locally for mine after months of relisting and chalked it up to a $100 lesson learned. (I'd probably still be stuck with it if it weren't for 7-08 mania.)
    The rifle my brother bought in .270 shoots close to the same groups. He also has tried multiple types and brands of ammo without much improvement in accuracy. He has taken a couple of deer with his at about 40-75 yards and one at nearly 200 on an out of state trip that was a head shot right behind the ear. It would have been an amazing shot except that he was in a shoot house dead steady on a shooting bench and aiming at the crease behind the shoulder 1/3 of the way up from the brisket.
    Though my love for Savages runs deep, My experiences with these rifles have left me far less than impressed.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

I bought a 7mm/08 youth model for my wife and upon getting it home I was less than impressed I lightened the trigger up a little put it back together and loaded some 140 gr bergers and went to see what she'd do. Well after shooting it I was more than impressed after finding the load the gun liked best I went home loaded some more and went out the next day. 4 shot group at 100 yrds .3" . then I went to 200 yrds and was amazed at the .8" group that little axis hammered out. And just barely 2 days ago loaded some 100 gr sierra's for my wife to coyote hunt with. I just picked a middle of the road load for it loaded 15 up and went to sight it in. Again I was more than impressed the first 3 shots at 100 yrds were all touching. So as far as my experience goes with the axis I am a huge fan and I think you'll never get a more accurate gun for the money I would definitely buy another.

average_shot

I think I'm going to get the package axis with the scope and then just wait until i have enough money for a better scope for it or another gun.

average_shot

What are the savage 11 models like?

Kaianuanu

The accuracy on the axis is just as great as any savage. However, it is hard to achieve this level of performance with a stock trigger, do all of the easy trigger mods for the axis on here and your groups will be that of an accutrigger axis.

trucknhunter

I got a savage edge in .308 win. on a trade. The first trip to the range with factory ammo wasn't to impressive but after loading some rounds with 180gr SGK i shot a .55 3 shot group. Thats after the trigger mods of course.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by average_shot
    What are the savage 11 models like?
    different actions [better, though I wouldn't call an edge/axis action bad.], more aftermarket availability[edge/axis has no aftermarket stock availability, and limited trigger options besides lightening it yourself]. Savages 'bread and butter' for years. can be a do anything rifle basically. depends on specific models/calibers & etc. but, very solid rifle.
    Couple rf's, couple cf's, and 1 12g.

Everything I once held dear
    I count it all as lost

poncaguy

I had my gunsmith do my triggers on my Edge 223 and 7-08........he got them a hair under3#. Both rifles
    shoot less than MOA. I'm pleased with them, did better than my Marlin XL 7 and Steven 200's, but they were all MOA rifles with right ammo.I use the Simmons 3x9x40 Whitetail scopes. They have the rough finish and they have fully multi coated lenses. $69 dollars at Natchez. Have 3 of them I liked them so well.........need another one for my new Weatherby 257 Mag!

Basic Member

IMO I would buy a savage or stevens rifle. Far better aftermarket support for the 10/110 action right now.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

average_shot

If everyone wants they can put a pic of there rigs if you can and want to

yooper14

Here's my experience. I bought the .223 package and with generic ammo and a lousy trigger pull, it shot about 1.5-2" groups. Next. I junked the scope, replaced it with a Nikon ProStaff scope, and replaced the trigger with the RifleBasix trigger - a very simple modification. With Black Hills ammo, the next three groups ran from .4-.7", from a poor, improvised rest. (Bad memory = rest forgotten at home.) I can't wait to see what it does with a solid rest!

average_shot

Awesome thanks. So the scope is crap and I should replace it as soon as I can?

Sundo

My take on scopes is that expensive scopes give you a few more minutes of use around sunrise, sunset, and otherwise less than ideal lighting conditions. Expensive scopes are also more pleasant to look through.

You can bet any rifle manufacturer who sells a kit rifle with scope will make damn sure the scope works. Their own product (rifle) will look bad if the kit scope loses zero or is mounted poorly.

You'll be looking through the scope a lot if you're target shooting, so a good (expensive) scope will reduce eye strain and be more pleasant to use. For extended target shooting sessions, get a good (expensive) scope.

If you're hunting, you should be scanning with eyes or with binoculars most of the time. You shouldn't be spending all your time looking through the riflescope. A cheap kit scope will be fully functional, except under poor lighting.

Manufacturers understand these consumer tradeoffs, so they price their products accordingly.

If you have the money to spare, get the good scope. If you can shoot well with only 85% light transmission through your scope, save the money. Either way, don't fret over the decision.

yooper14

I probably wouldn't put an "expensive" scope on an Axis/Edge. Of course, everyone has a different definition of what "expensive" means. I wouldn't put a $400 Leupold on one of these guns, unless I already had a spare on hand. On the other hand, there are a lot of mid-range cost scopes these days that are really decent quality, probably as good or better than what an expensive scope would have been not many years ago. There are some good Nikon, Bushnell, Redfield, Weaver, and even some of the lower end Leupold scopes for $125-$200 that are a huge step up in quality compared to the scope that comes with the combo deal. Look at some of the sales at places like Natchez Shooters Supply or Midway, or look at the factory refurbished scopes. I recently picked up a new Nikon ProStaff BDC 4x12 at an unadvertised sale price of $149 at Gander Mountain. A cheap scope is a poor way to save money, IMO. A few more bucks on a decent scope hurts temporarily at the time of purchase, but it is a gift that keeps on giving back every time out after that, for the rest of the time you own the gun.

dacaur

Mine is in .308. First ammo I tried was remington cor-lockt 150gr, which grouped.... poorly... 2 1/2-4"..... Next I tried remington 180's, little better but still around 2". Then I tried some federal 150grSP "power shock" and that was the ticket, right around 1". Now That I handload, I get 3/4-1" all day long, with the ocasional .5" group.... I got the XP, but replaced the scope pretty quick, its not a bad scope, I just wanted more magnification. I sold the package scope to my dad. He is very happy with it upgrading from a 35 year old 4X fixed power.

Here is mine. This was a 250 yard shot.

average_shot

Are the models 14/114 much better then the axis for accuracy

average_shot

And nice photo by the way.

What scope is that on it?

Thanks

dacaur

Quote Originally Posted by average_shot
    And nice photo by the way.

What scope is that on it?

Thanks
    Thanks. Its a simmons whitetail classic 6.5-20x50 adjustable objective. Im very happy with it, especialy considering the low price ($150) Is clear and transmits lots of light. The shot above was not only 250 yards, but with only 10 min of legal shooting time left (so about 20 min after official sunset)

average_shot

Ok

poncaguy

I have 4 of those scopes, paid $99 4 years ago..........excellent scopes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast