I've been combing the Internet for the last few months looking for exactly the right deal on a Savage LRP 260 Remington. I've had some near misses and enough dead ends that I decided to look for a Stevens 200 to build on. More near misses and more dead ends; but just a few minutes on SavageShooters.com prompted me to call Jim Briggs at Northland Shooters Supply to check on availability for a Stevens 200 action. Jim gave me 1 1/2 HOURS of his Friday afternoon/evening.

I know, by posting this, I'm preaching to the choir for most members; but for all the others who are ready to drink the Savage Kool-Aid, I want to say that Jim and NSS are an invaluable resource.

Savage, arguably, has done a fantastic job of putting products out there in a bewildering array of different configurations but Jim takes that one step further. He makes brand-new pieces and parts of various Savage models available to his customers. He will not assemble the rifles for you but he has everything anyone would ever need to configure their ideal rifle, at good prices; while possessing a wealth of knowledge about Savage firearms. His objective is for every customer to walk away with the parts to put together the exact rifle he wants.

I took a page and a half of notes just so that I could keep a lot of the information Jim passed on to me. I don't think the LRP is the right gun for me. Unless one falls out of the sky and into my lap I will be calling Jim next week to order the parts to build MY Savage.

Matt