Thread: Re-Chambering a Barrel

Basic Member

Re-Chambering a Barrel

I currently have a 28” Heavy Varmint Barrel on a Ruger MK 77 that I would like to take off and have re-chambered and threaded for a Savage.

Can anyone tell me who will cut off of the old chamber, re-cut the new chamber and thread?

Looking for a Specialty Savage guy....

Thanks

airaddict

Re: Re-Chambering a Barrel

Im no expert but i think its a bit more complicated than that. Not sure if ruger threads match savages threads on the shank.

Brian

ellobo

Rechambered to what? It can be done but it isnt recommended. It depends on if there is enough shank dia and length on the Ruger barrel. Will not be cheap. Probably closer to a custom barrel in cost. Look in Midway USA website at A&B barrels. About $139 or go for an ER Shaw, Shilen, Pac-nor, Mcgowen, Krieger or others but they are in the $300 range except the Shaw. Sell your old barrel here in the classified ads (have to be a $12/yr member to access the classified) to help pay for a new barrel. Swapping barrels on a Savage is easy.

airaddict

Theres plenty of aftermarket barrels out there for savages. Some cheaper for huntimg and plinking and some uber expensive for those looking for an edge in competition. Check out the various makers of barrels. You might find some good deals in the classifieds as mentioned before if you sign up for the site.

Brian

Any decent smith can do it. I know that Sinman has done some. I've done a couple for myself.

Most any shouldered barrel becomes a decent candidate to become a small shank Savage barrel.

It's just a matter of cutting off the old tennon, turning down the shoulder to 1.050", threading it for 20tpi, lastly cramming a reamer down it.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder
    Any decent smith can do it. I know that Sinman has done some. I've done a couple for myself.

Most any shouldered barrel becomes a decent candidate to become a small shank Savage barrel.

It's just a matter of cutting off the old tennon, turning down the shoulder to 1.050", threading it for 20tpi, lastly cramming a reamer down it.
    That's what I was looking for. Sinman is who I will contact.

Thanks

Cycler

Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder

OK, it can be done. Now the question is can it be done for less than the cost of a good quality purpose built barrel originally made for a Savage action?

Aircraftmech76

When you factor in the questionable quality of that used barrel, and the cost incurred to make it something it wasn't, it can't compare to the quality and almost guaranteed accuracy a new, match grade barrel can provide. Jim at NSS here on the forum can sell you a match-grade Criterion barrel that is basically a button rifled Kreiger made from the same double stress-relieved blanks.

Kevin

Basic Member

My ftr rifle is a obeymeyer 300 mag that has been rechambered to 308, shoots darn good to.

Quote Originally Posted by Cycler

OK, it can be done. Now the question is can it be done for less than the cost of a good quality purpose built barrel originally made for a Savage action?
    Depends on how much you are willing to spend. I do my own, so it only cost my time to try it out.

"Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Quote Originally Posted by Aircraftmech76
    When you factor in the questionable quality of that used barrel, and the cost incurred to make it something it wasn't, it can't compare to the quality and almost guaranteed accuracy a new, match grade barrel can provide. Jim at NSS here on the forum can sell you a match-grade Criterion barrel that is basically a button rifled Kreiger made from the same double stress-relieved blanks.

Kevin
    The OP said that it is off of his own gun. The quality and accuracy is already known. I'm guessing for the price of a factory sporter take-off, he could have the barrel ready for his Savage. That's cheap enough for me to give it a chance.