Thread: Building MY Savage NSS

Basic Member

Building MY Savage NSS

I've been combing the Internet for the last few months looking for exactly the right deal on a Savage LRP 260 Remington. I've had some near misses and enough dead ends that I decided to look for a Stevens 200 to build on. More near misses and more dead ends; but just a few minutes on SavageShooters.com prompted me to call Jim Briggs at Northland Shooters Supply to check on availability for a Stevens 200 action. Jim gave me 1 1/2 HOURS of his Friday afternoon/evening.

I know, by posting this, I'm preaching to the choir for most members; but for all the others who are ready to drink the Savage Kool-Aid, I want to say that Jim and NSS are an invaluable resource.

Savage, arguably, has done a fantastic job of putting products out there in a bewildering array of different configurations but Jim takes that one step further. He makes brand-new pieces and parts of various Savage models available to his customers. He will not assemble the rifles for you but he has everything anyone would ever need to configure their ideal rifle, at good prices; while possessing a wealth of knowledge about Savage firearms. His objective is for every customer to walk away with the parts to put together the exact rifle he wants.

I took a page and a half of notes just so that I could keep a lot of the information Jim passed on to me. I don't think the LRP is the right gun for me. Unless one falls out of the sky and into my lap I will be calling Jim next week to order the parts to build MY Savage.

Matt

ellobo

Re: Building MY Savage NSS

In all the years I have been hanging out on this forum I have never heard anything but praise for Jim Briggs. I never have done business with him but if I was in need he would be my go-to guy. I have never figured out how he can spend so much time on the phone with people and get any work done. He must have a headset with a small microphone on it so he can talk and work at the same time. Did I get that right Jim?

El Lobo

gotcha

Welcome to the forum Matt ! Congratulations on your decision. Now that you've become a barrel nut you'll have to keep us posted on your build. :) Jim cares more about YOUR needs than the parts he sells. You're gonna enjoy this experience & the results. Good luck !!!!

Jim for President!
    I was actually sad I had cut my call short with him as I had to tend to the baby before leaving for work :-(
    newbie from gr, mi.

Basic Member

Thanks for the welcome! Folks like Jim make it easier for us Savage newbies to have fun and to encourage the growth of our sport. I say the same for this site and all of you. Pat yourselves on the back.

Basic Member

Matt,

Welcome to the club!

I know what you are going through, as I ended up building my own rifle from a 10fp in .300wm. Ended up spending about 3hr at Jim's kitchen table yapping about calibers, parts, etc, and heading home with a barrel and wrench in hand. Building your own is worth every bit of headache you can run into. When you order your barrel and action from Jim, be sure to throw in one of Jim's recoil lugs and the action wrench. I was told not to go with a wrench with holes cut for a breaker bar, but to crack a stock blued nut... I needed my 28" bar and a cheater bar to crack it loose.

I was up at Jim's place Friday afternoon picking up my new 12lrp from him, and he was just as friendly and chatty as before. I could have just as easily ordered my 12LRP from my local FFL, but the service and friendly demeanor of Jim makes it worth the hour drive to buy from him, and him alone.

Keep us informed on your build!

Basic Member

IWe've bought a few actions/barrels etc from Jim and couldn't agree more. The last barrel we got from him was a Criterion in 20 Practical, I called a few weeks ago to ask about somethng else and he remembered our order and asked how the 20 was shooting, what loads we were using etc.

My wife shoots as well, and has called to check on orders etc a few times and he was very courteous and respectful.

Jim always get the first cal when we need something. Even if he doesn't have what we'ew looking for (which is rare) we'll usually rather wait and get ity from him.

cgeorgemo

I was actually able to order a 12 FV Single Shot from Jim a few years ago in .204 Ruger. My transaction couldn't have been better unless I would have been able to shake his hand at the end. Driving from Joplin MO wasn't an option unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by cgeorgemo
    I was actually able to order a 12 FV Single Shot from Jim a few years ago in .204 Ruger. My transaction couldn't have been better unless I would have been able to shake his hand at the end. Driving from Joplin MO wasn't an option unfortunately.
    Joplin is about ten hours from here, short hand shake and back in under twenty four hours! LOL I live in the same state and we meet in SD a couple years ago, Fred was there also. 357Hammer had to miss.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Avenger
    Quote Originally Posted by cgeorgemo
    Joplin is about ten hours from here, short hand shake and back in under twenty four hours! LOL I live in the same state and we meet in SD a couple years ago, Fred was there also. 357Hammer had to miss.
    If you find yourself up near the Mall of America, shoot me a PM, you can swing by for some BS'ing and a beer.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...

Hello Matt & welcome to your new addiction.

Happy Easter to all the celebrate it, also.

I can appreciate your thoughts on Jim & NSS as I've posted more than my share of basic (basic = stoopid) questions where he's chimed in with an easy to comprehend explanation. From what I've read around this site, he's true gentleman & genuine Savage Guru.

Glad to have you aboard & don't forget.... It's a site requirement that all custom & non-stock builds will have photos for the rest of us to critique, drool over & bow to....

Stay Well
    Frank in Fla.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!