Thread: Savage 110/BA Rifle Review

Savage 110/BA Rifle Review

Re: Savage 110/BA Rifle Review

I am very surprised that no one has anything to say about this

ellobo

Balljoint, Its probably because so few have them. At $2000 it wouldn't surprise me. As was stated in the article there is a cheaper alternative in the Savage line with that caliber. I would think that those with the urge to stop armored vehicles at 1500 yds but don't have $2000 in discressionary funds, the alternative would be the way to go ;D

El Lobo

I had trouble finding one in 338 so having everything for 308 SO i purchased a BA in 308 same rifle smaller round, had it at the last Savage Shoot but had trouble with the scope i had put on it so no many rounds through it as yet.

mikejmarine

I picked up one of the newer 110FCP's... just didnt think the additional 800 bucks was worth the added weight, diffrent stock/muzzle brake...

Grizzly2279

I found one on gunbroker for $1499 last week. She is in my safe right now. Probably waiting on me to come home, take her out and admire her!!!

I must be the only one who finds these incredibly fugly. :-\
    Kelly

Eric in NC

I think it is silly that the reviewer pronounced the accuracy as "disappointing" after trying 3 factory loads at 100 yards. This is certainly a gun/cartridge that needs to be evaluated at 300 yards or more to get a full picture of what it can do and I would think most people feeding this monster would be interested in seeing how handloads perform.

mikejmarine

Quote Originally Posted by Eric in NC
    I think it is silly that the reviewer pronounced the accuracy as "disappointing" after trying 3 factory loads at 100 yards. This is certainly a gun/cartridge that needs to be evaluated at 300 yards or more to get a full picture of what it can do and I would think most people feeding this monster would be interested in seeing how handloads perform.
    +1

Don - LongRangeSupply

Quote Originally Posted by Eric in NC
    If it shoots .9 to 1.8 MOA at 100 there isn't much point in wasting ammo to see how it shoots at 300.

A 1.8 MOA group at 100 isn't magically going to become a 1/4 MOA group at 300. It might be a TINY bit better at 300 (a few thousandths of an in inch due to reduced yaw) once the bullet has fully stabilized but not enough to bother testing at that distance if it clearly isn't grouping well at 100.

Also realize that most govt. agencies are not allowed to shoot handloads if it is a department issue rifle, so if it won't shoot factory ammo well there isn't much you can do about it.
    Looks like they got a lemon to me.

Basic Member

I personally think nearly ALL chassis systems are hideous, and the 110BA is no different. Reminds me of a tacticool fanboy rifle from hand to tail. As for the accuracy, I would be tempted to believe it was a lemon, or thee was some issue with the rounds and that barrel. I am not defending the rifle in any way, but I have seen some rifles tighten up at longer ranges (as too many stated). If I were already on the firing line I would be willing to give it a go at longer ranges just to see, but I am not a writer for any site, nor would my shoulder take the abuse of .338 LM for a range test... but, I would have also fired some fouling shots to get the barrel a little worn in before reporting on accuracy.

meh.

I do not get too excited about gun reviews. Especially with as little ammo as they put through it. That test was limited to the ammo they sell on the forum and another very obscure round. My 110 fcp-hs is extremely accurate. Granted it has never had factory ammo through it but it shoots sub half minute all day at 100 yards with 285gr. Hornady and 300gr. Sierra match king sitting on top of a whole lot of Retumbo! Take it with a grain of salt.
    Any clod can have the facts; having opinions is an art.