Thread: Has anybody played with internal ballistics software?

Basic Member

Has anybody played with internal ballistics software?

I've been play around with Load From A Disk, and I've been amazed by how accurate it is. I compared the results I get from the program to the actual chronograph results and they've consistently been within 25 fps.

Has anyone else played with these programs?

Andrew

Re: Has anybody played with internal ballistics software?

No, but it sounds like I need to!
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

helotaxi

Messed around with Quickload. Generally accepted as being very close to real world performance.

Celtic Warrior

I use QuickLoad for buildup and it is very close to Chrono'd data (with in accepted error of a Chron. Hard telling what the MV really is with a commerical Chrono). I then use Litz's Shooter in the field and it gets me where I need to be vs. chasing the shot all over the place. Both are worth the money.

louielouie

I've been playing with QL a bit and while I have no way to verify pressure, I have been able to predict within 10 fps (average of 10 consecutive shots) for the components I've been working with. It's a useful tool but it took some fine tuning of certain parameters to achieve it.

Basic Member

I have used LOAD FROM A DISK for years. The only negative I have found is that it will only bring up a range of powder (12+-) that would be called the "usual" powders. I have the old version 4.0.4 that they stopped updating in 2005? and will take a real good look at the newer verion before going with it. My next choice will most likely be QL. PS: Have you noticed that people that don't have balistic programs can go out and spend $3000 on a new gun but are hitting people to run data throught their program because they are too cheap to buy one?

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Albert
    PS: Have you noticed that people that don't have balistic programs can go out and spend $3000 on a new gun but are hitting people to run data throught their program because they are too cheap to buy one?
    I always thought this was funny. Some of those guys will spend enough money on a set of scope rings that could have bought 3 copies of the computer software! ;D

Andrew

MrMajestic

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic Warrior
    I use QuickLoad for buildup and it is very close to Chrono'd data (with in accepted error of a Chron. Hard telling what the MV really is with a commerical Chrono). I then use Litz's Shooter in the field and it gets me where I need to be vs. chasing the shot all over the place. Both are worth the money.
    What he said on both!

Basic Member

I have often thought of buying quick load but what will it do better for me , this is what i do, buy new barrel or complete gun, check before buying what powders work i usually have several powders around the house, i go to 6 mm br see what the big boys are shooting , find lands and start from there with my chrono test powders and bullets that i think i will shoot.

Celtic Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by frank1947
    I have often thought of buying quick load but what will it do better for me , this is what i do, buy new barrel or complete gun, check before buying what powders work i usually have several powders around the house, i go to 6 mm br see what the big boys are shooting , find lands and start from there with my chrono test powders and bullets that i think i will shoot.
    With QL you can create loads that are on an the Optimum Barrel time (OBT). Then chrono the rnds, refine the load (based on MV) to get to the OBT and it might get you better accuracy.

I say might because the OBT calculations are time based and do not account for barrel configuration, like a bull barrel vs. a field barrel. We go to heavier/different contoured barrels for a reason and this calculation has no means of including this variable.

OBT writeup > http://www.the-long-family.com/optim...rel%20time.htm

Check it out it may work, a lot of the guys at 6mm BR and accurate shooter swear by it.

nsaqam

Quote Originally Posted by frank1947
    QL will give you a list of the best powders for your particular setup based on certain parameters you enter. Things like desired load density and the MAP you are comfortable with.
    Oftentimes the recommended powders are not the powders conventional wisdom would suggest.