Thread: Will this work? Check out this homemade Rifle Rest

777funk

Will this work? Check out this homemade Rifle Rest

I decided I don't care for recoil so I built this. I designed it so that I can clamp it to the bench lightly (two squeeze clamps) get it on target then clamp tight and be right on the money for the shot and let the rest and the bench take all the recoil. There are 4 bolts going through the front and wing nuts fastened to those bolts so the piece of wood the forearm rests in can be adjusted vertically and tightened down when on the mark.

The butt of the stock sits in a V notch and behind the butt rests a stretched piece of tire inner-tube (actually two thick) like a slingshot so that as the rifle recoils it'll strech that and have a little give. Behind the inner-tube is a piece of styrofoam and beind that as the final catch a piece of masonite (1/4" thick). The idea is to stop any recoil so I can shoot 20 rounds without a sore shoulder and also have a very steady/stable rest to let the gun's mechanical accuracy shine at the range.

The front V support has 5/8" heater hose to trap the forearm and hold it secure (also supports the gun to some degree to stop recoil). The front holds the forarm pretty tightly.

Is the design idea ok? Have I broken any established rules for accurate bench shooting?

EDIT: By the way... what good's a homemade project without duct tape! That's to hold pipe insulation over the rear plate 1/4" masonite. It feels more comfy for the cheek, neck, and shoulder.

PLEASE don't feel bad pointing out anything I could be overlooking. I'm a hunter but no pro at shooting from a bench.
    Last edited by 777funk; 10-16-2013 at 10:36 PM.

wlleven
    Quote Originally Posted by 777funk View Post
    I decided I don't care for recoil so I built this. I designed it so that I can clamp it to the bench lightly (two squeeze clamps) get it on target then clamp tight and be right on the money for the shot and let the rest and the bench take all the recoil.

The butt of the stock sits in a V notch and behind the butt rests a stretched piece of tire inner-tube (actually two thick) like a slingshot so that as the rifle recoils it'll strech that and have a little give. Behind the inner-tube is a piece of styrofoam and beind that as the final catch a piece of masonite (1/4" thick). The idea is to stop any recoil so I can shoot 20 rounds without a sore shoulder and also have a very steady/stable rest to let the gun's mechanical accuracy shine at the range.

The front V support has 5/8" heater hose to trap the forearm and hold it secure (also supports the gun to some degree to stop recoil). The front holds the forarm pretty tightly.

Is the design idea ok? Have I broken any established rules for accurate bench shooting?

EDIT: By the way... what good's a homemade project without duct tape! That's to hold pipe insulation over the rear plate 1/4" masonite. It feels more comfy for the cheek, neck, and shoulder.

PLEASE don't feel bad pointing out anything I could be overlooking. I'm a hunter but no pro at shooting from a bench.
    Love to check it out but I don't see a pic !

wll

777funk
    Sorry! It shows on my machine but maybe it's cached. Here it is again... hopefully it works this time:

davemuzz
    IMHO, I don't think that's going to give you a consistent grouping. Only because the front forend isn't sitting on something solid. I believe that during your shooting "string", your forend can shift...or perhaps your scope will touch the "V" notch. Too may variables can come into play during a session that you will need to pay attention to other than just loading, your position on the rifle, and aiming.

Personally, I would screw a piece of wood, with a glued felt or glued piece of leather, across the front of your "V" so that the rifle has something solid to rest upon. I think that would take a lot of variable's out of the equation. And I can't tell from the picture....but if you have the same "V" in the back, I would do the same thing.

Duct tape is a good thing. Never let anyone tell you different!! I've seen guys with $3,000 shotguns show up at a trap range with a cheek weld "adjustment" using duct tape and whatever under it to make it work!!!

Dave

Agreed, that's just going to give you more fits than anything. Do yourself a favor and just spend the $25-50 for a good quality bag to shoot off of. Either of these would do nicely without breaking the bank.

http://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-Tackd.../dp/B000BY9G5K

http://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-Deads.../dp/B002APAWY2

If nothing else just use a rolled up sleeping bag to shoot off of.

The whole goal of a rest or bag is to immobilize the rifle as much as possible without having it negatively affecting it's ability to recoil naturally. That whole rest you've made will slide across the bench under recoil quite easily thus affecting the natural movement of the rifle (they will essentially move as one when recoiling rather than the rest remaining stationary while the rifle moves).
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Nice rest for cleaning the rifle, but I wouldn't shoot from it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorce1 View Post
    Nice rest for cleaning the rifle, but I wouldn't shoot from it.
    Actually it wouldn't be very good for cleaning either.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

777funk
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post

The whole goal of a rest or bag is to immobilize the rifle as much as possible without having it negatively affecting it's ability to recoil naturally. That whole rest you've made will slide across the bench under recoil quite easily thus affecting the natural movement of the rifle (they will essentially move as one when recoiling rather than the rest remaining stationary while the rifle moves).
    I've read some one say a Bi-Pod will affect the POI and that he'd usually use something else to stabilize with. If a Bi-pod affects the way the gun shoots, man this thing is 10x the effects of that.

I like the bags you recommend.

Actually my rest does not move (gets clamped to the bench). I built it originally with the intention of removing recoil from the equation.

And I tested it. It worked great at removing the recoil. Now even the hardest kicker I have, gets no kick other than a little vibration transfered to my shoulder. So this was great. The problem however is that the way it holds the rifle upon recoiling doesn't let the shots consistently hit in the same place. Also POI is much different than from the shoulder and I'm guessing for similar reasons.

So... no kick, but no accuracy either. I wouldn't use it to sight a scope in with. Didn't quite work as planned. I'd bet if I modify the front bracket to not interfere with recoil (it holds the forearm in place), things would be much more like what I was hoping for.

I give you points for a good and creative design concept--and the proof is in the shooting : ) I used all kinds of sleds for years and ended up not liking them. If you get a really good one--than sure enough they will get you good shots. But the problem is even though they largely remove you from the system--they largely remove you from the system. My personal non-professional opinion is that the real reason bags work well is that they still incorporate your left and right hands and shoulder as contact points in the system while taking out the "steady/level fore-end problem." I'm not sure what the physical/mechanical reason is--but I find a couple of my rifles fire more accurately when I'm hands-on with a slight back-pull into the shoulder area. I do this even with my magnum pounders, and oddly enough it doesn't result in any pain.

The other thing I've learned from doing thousands of poor shots--if I even think of recoil/flinch/boom etc--that is almost a sure guarantee of a less than optimal shot. I still make these mistakes, but with practice am getting gradually past most of them.
    Last edited by thermaler; 10-17-2013 at 09:48 PM.
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

777funk
    Ha... love your signature line Thermaler. I'll have to bring a bag of lead shot next time. Sometimes it's best to keep it simple. I grew up using an old floating boat cushion.

I've read some one say a Bi-Pod will affect the POI and that he'd usually use something else to stabilize with. If a Bi-pod affects the way the gun shoots, man this thing is 10x the effects of that.

I like the bags you recommend.

Actually my rest does not move (gets clamped to the bench). I built it originally with the intention of removing recoil from the equation.

And I tested it. It worked great at removing the recoil. Now even the hardest kicker I have, gets no kick other than a little vibration transfered to my shoulder. So this was great. The problem however is that the way it holds the rifle upon recoiling doesn't let the shots consistently hit in the same place. Also POI is much different than from the shoulder and I'm guessing for similar reasons.

So... no kick, but no accuracy either. I wouldn't use it to sight a scope in with. Didn't quite work as planned. I'd bet if I modify the front bracket to not interfere with recoil (it holds the forearm in place), things would be much more like what I was hoping for.
    The issue with a bi-pod is that you have to be mindful of the surface you are shooting off of. Some of the recoil energy finds it's way down the bi-pod legs and wants to be transmitted to the surface you're shooting off off. However, since most shooting benches are either made of wood or concrete they're too dense for that energy to be transferred to. The result is that the energy just bounces off causing the whole front of the gun to bounce as well which creates some really interesting (and detrimental to accuracy) harmonics. This is the same harmonic energy that causes you bi-pod leg springs to twang.

The solution is to make sure you put some kind of soft/padded material between the bi-pod legs and the bench surface. I personally like a small 1/2 or 3/4" thick closed-cell foam mat, but a good piece of thick, heavy carpet will usually work as well (might have to double it over)
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Ha... love your signature line Thermaler. I'll have to bring a bag of lead shot next time. Sometimes it's best to keep it simple. I grew up using an old floating boat cushion.
    That's what I tell my non-shooting friends to keep the subject off all guns should be banned and all semiautos are good for nothing but massacres when they ask me why I have em.
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]