Thread: savage 110 conversion to 111 detachable magazine

kelly1278

savage 110 conversion to 111 detachable magazine

does anyone know if a savage 110 laminated wood thumbhole stock can be converted to a 111 detachable magazine? i am having trouble finding a stock for my 111 with a detachable magazine and so i thought maybe i could convert a 110 stock to fit. the release for the magazine is on the bottom not on the side

Re: savage 110 conversion to 111 detachable magazine

All the long actions take the same stock reguardless of number.Just be sure it is for the bottom release, they are different from the side release.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Monkeygunz

Side release

Quote Originally Posted by rjtfroggy View Post
    All the long actions take the same stock reguardless of number.Just be sure it is for the bottom release, they are different from the side release.
    I recently received a Savage 111 in .30-06 with side mag release. I have been running into a lot of trouble finding any replacement stocks. Is there a way to convert this to ANY other configuration so I can replace the folded paper plate they call a stock? I would be fine with any other configuration that allows for a varmint style stock set up. I love the accuracy of the gun, but the stock really makes me nervous.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeygunz View Post
    I recently received a Savage 111 in .30-06 with side mag release. I have been running into a lot of trouble finding any replacement stocks. Is there a way to convert this to ANY other configuration so I can replace the folded paper plate they call a stock? I would be fine with any other configuration that allows for a varmint style stock set up. I love the accuracy of the gun, but the stock really makes me nervous.
    If it"s accurate why mess with it. I have read for years about how flimsy the stocks are especially on the older flat backs. I personally have never had a problem with them making contact except one when shooting from a bi pod. I moved the sling swivel to the rear a couple of inches and never had a problem after that. One particular rifle that happens to be my favorite hunter a 116 with a side release detachable mag and is a 30-06. With nothing but a trigger adjustment since new it has fired a 10 shot group of .446 with hand loads. ( Sierra Game King HPBTs, IMR 4350 and CCI br2 primers in neck sized Winchester brass) This thing is stupid accurate and drops a lot of jaws at the range and anything in the crosshairs in the field.
    I'll be darned if I'm changing the stock or anything else on that one :)

If you really must you can go with a blind mag setup. It's a pretty easy conversion to do. You may be able to find someone to trade parts with you for your bottom metal' mag and stock as a complete setup, or sell em on the classifieds to help or possibly pay for the parts you want.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeygunz View Post
    Pretty easy to convert to a blind magazine, just need the blind magazine box and accompanying spring/follower.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Monkeygunz
    Thank you for the quick response. The only major problem I have with the stock is the thin feel. Most of my rifles have an SPS type tactical stock. I don't want to reinvent the wheel with this gun, but it was free and just want a toy to play with and try a few things out. All I have done thus far is replaced the scope with a Redfield Revenge 4-13x42 and a good cleaning.
    Earlier this week, I put 9 rounds inside 2" at 200 yards (had one flyer, but that was ALL me) with handloads. I think with a little more trigger time with this gun, I can get that down a little. Thank you for the helpful info. This seems like something I can do without a degree from MIT. Just got the gun a few weeks ago, so maybe in a few more weeks I'll get some pics up.

Dang man I haven't had any real problems with the Savage stocks but the SPS varmint stocks I've owned had to go quick. It has a pressure point out the fore arm that doesn't allow the barrel to float and gave me horrendous accuracy. when they wouldn't shoot up to my expectations I tried to tune a couple using the action screws like I would on a Savage to no avail.
    I guess that's why you think they feel solid because they are making contact at the action and then again at the end of the forearm.
    I spent a small fortune replacing stocks with aftermarket and also had to tune the long creepy X Mark pro triggers by removing the yellow sealer and going well beyond what the factory considers"user" adjustments. I just couldn't stand the looong Creeep before the boom.In my experience they still don't shoot as well as my Savages. Go figure. Man The SPS's I've owned made me darn sorry I cheated on my Savages. You know what they say about the grass being greener?... yeah over a leaky septic tank that needs expensive, extensive repair :)
    I could buy 3 model 10 TRs and have Ammo money for what I have in 1 Remington stainless varmint SPS fluted and aftermarket. I don't think I'll be making that mistake again.
    Last edited by big honkin jeep; 10-17-2013 at 10:24 PM.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.