Thread: Whats the purpose of a stock??

Basic Member

Whats the purpose of a stock??

I'be been wondering what all the hype was about Manners, Mcmillian, all the high end stocks, so I bought a Mcmillian A-3 for a f/tr build. To tell you the truth, I'm happier with the 100 dollar Duramaxx that I put on my long range hunting gun, it at least came with pillars and after a little devcon it's as solid as a rock. As far as I can tell, the purpose of a stock is to keep the barrek floated and to provide a solid place for the action to set. My mcmillian cost 400 bucks more, didn't come with pillars and I had to bed it anyway. I can squeeze the end of the mcmilian and make it touch the barrrel but can't do that with my Duramaxx or my Hs precision that I have?? I'm not trying to bash high end stuff here, what I'm getting at is that sometimes we get too involved in names and tacticool looking guns when could have spent allot less and been just as happy. Would have had more money for better glass too, and that's one area you really can't skimp.

Team Savage

Re: Whats the purpose of a stock??

IMHO, the name McMillan is what everybody thinks is the best thing since sliced bread. ::) Never mind the long wait. ::) You found for yourself, "It just ain't so". Kinda like the BR shooters. What is being used by the winners is what everybody just has to have. And the buyers may have never found out the real potential of the gear thay already had. Just had to have the top line gear. ::)
    Like you mentioned, $$ better spent on good glass and lots of ammo so you'll know just what your rig can do. Practice makes perfect? (or at least better.)
    Why spend $400.00 to $500.00 for a stock with flex in it when a lower $$ stock will get the job done. More $$ left over for ammo. 8)
    Another way to look at it is, if it makes you feel better about your gear, and you've got the funds to part with, go for it. ;D
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Trent

Re: Whats the purpose of a stock??

doh!