Thread: Savage 93FXP 22 Magnum Misfire Problem

AndyB

Savage 93FXP 22 Magnum Misfire Problem

Recently purchased the above subject rifle new in 22 mag. Took it to the range with a box of Win. Super X 22WMR 40 gr. FMJ bullets. Out of the box of fifty I had 4-6 misfires. Firing pin indent seems to be consistent on all cases. Rotated the misfires and after one or two tries they fired. I have a 22 mag. Taurus revolver and after 500 rounds, with the same ammo, I never had a misfire. I noticed the same problem discussed on the forum with model 93 17HMR. Any suggestions or advise? Thanks, Andy B.

j3rd

Re: Savage 93FXP 22 Magnum Misfire Problem

My 93F .22 WMR misfired also. It started out OK but got worse as I shot it more until it was nearly 50% duds. I called Savage and was told it was either the firing pin or the spring. I took mine back to Cabela's and they sent it in. Savage didn't want just the bolt- I had to send the whole rifle in.

This may sound crazy but has anyone ever tried a different bolt? I have a brand new 93G 22mag and it sometimes FTF, and I really don't want to send the entire gun back to Savage for repair. I also have a newer mark II G 22LR and a FV SR that work fine and both those bolts fit perfectly in the 22mag receiver. Would it work ok or is this dangerous?

Well the problem is solved! Went to the range this morning and used a mark II bolt in my 93 WMR, it works perfect and no FTF at all with 150 rounds fired. I'm going to try and take the original 93 bolt apart and put a new spring and clean it real good and see if that was the problem.

AndyB

Went to the range this weekend to test various ammo because of the above subject problem. 50 rounds CCi Maxi Max HP ammo no misfires & great accuracy. 2 rounds Winchester Super X JHP 40 gr. 1 misfire. I was going to leave the range a little disappointed with Winchester 22 magnum ammo, but decided to finish off the box of Winchester Dynapoint 45 gr. ammo that I had the original problem with a few weeks ago. Shot approximately 20 rounds with no misfires. After that I wanted to try additional rounds of the Super X JHP that I had 1 misfire out of 2 rounds (misfire did go off the second try after rotating). Shot approximately 20 round of the Super X with no misfires. At the present time I probably would have more confidence with the CCI than the Winchester. May try some Federal in the near future if I can find them. I am hoping because of the newness of the firearm the problem is minor and will correct itself with more use. Any ideas or comments would be appreciated. AndyB

dksac2

You can call Scott at 208-390-0721, he has FP springs that are 15% to 20% stronger than stock, they helped my rifle a lot. No problems with extra vibration and very good indentations. I have not had a FTF since putting the new spring in the bolt. Price is very reasonable also.

My Best, John

I also noticed when cycling the bolt you need to be firm with it. Light cycling seemed to lead to misfires on my gun.

Team Savage

This Savage 93 misfire problem seems quite prevalent. There are way too many people who experience the same problem. My 93 17HMR started out just fine and over time the misfires got worse until every other round misfired. Changing ammo did not work. I finally gave up spending time and money trying to fix it myself. Sent it back to Savage for repair. Not one misfire since its return.

Took it back out this morning and put 100 rounds through her without one misfire. The guess is the bolt was just gummed up from the factory and just needed to be cleaned and broken in. All seems to be well now, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed.

dksac2

A very light polish on the sides of the FP helps, the guns that still have FTF can be fixed, if you need info, PM me.

John

Woodser

This may be irrelevant since the FTF problem also appears on brand new 93s, by I have noticed leaving a rimfire rifle cocked will, over time (sometimes very little time), weaken the spring. When putting it away, always open the bolt, double check for a round in the chamber, empty the mag, depress the trigger and close the bolt. NEVER dry fire any rimfilre rifle.

As a side note, I just bought a new 93R17FV, and with just under 50 rounds thru it, I have had no misfires. I did notice that the indent on the cases was rather shallow, so a new spring may well be in my future as well.

ffffg

how i fixed this problem

The problem with savage rim ammo misfires in my gun was a dirty fireing pin.. The flat firing pin is fit well in a slot in my model, and any heavy oil, dirt etc in and around that firing pin take a lot of energy out of the strike.

I cleaned the outside of the bolt, and inside of the tube where it fits.. Then i used a light oil like hoppies on the outside of the bolt and ran it in the gun to get a lite coat of oil on the tube that holds the bolt..

I then took the bolt out and removed the clip holding the fireing pin, removed the firing pin, and extractors. Put these in a pan with paper towels in the bottom and took it outside and cleaned it well with brakefree with the little red tube attached.

Breake free is nasty stuff, so do it outside, wear safty gogles, put the red tube that comes with brakefree in the bolt holes and openings, and it will find its way thru the bolt and clean it and remove the oil and gook.. dry the bolt with more paper towels and let it all dry well and throw the paper towels in the outside trash..

Then take the bolt inside and oil it well with a very light oil like remoil.. insert it in the lubed bolt reciever and you should be ready for very few misfires..

Putting the clip and extractors back together is a little tricky. Put the clip on over the fireing pin that has been slid into the bolt.. the holes in the black clip go to the rear of the bolt.. then slide the extracters into the bolt under the clip, the black one goes on the bolt side, the silver one goes on the opposite..

Dont loose those little parts outside in the grass or snow!

dave
    Last edited by ffffg; 01-24-2013 at 02:08 AM.