Thread: Spotting scope

Basic Member

Spotting scope

Ok I saw that Konus (posted earlier) may be a decent brand of spotting scope. What do you guys think? I cant afford to spend more than say 350-400. What other good ones are out there? Tell me what you think, I have seen a leo that comes in a cheesy hard case but comes with a tripod ect for about 320.00 the price leads me to think that it wont be that great. I will be using it mostly to hunt with, looking at critters from a long way off, and occasionally using it at the range. I was thinking something along the lines of 20X60X80 but dont know, i have one of the cheesy burris ones that goes to 25X or something like that, it was a package deal with a scope and i figured why not, but its not enough to be checking stuff out from a 1000yds away. So i look forward to hearing what you guys have to say! Thanks!
    Henry.

thomae

Re: Spotting scope

In your price range, you should be able to get a used Kowa. They are good. I just looked at the moons of Jupiter with mine the other evening. It's a 20 power 70 mm with the prominar lenses.

Basic Member

ok cool! So where could i snag one of these lightly used powerful pieces?

Basic Member

Konus 7120 20x-60x80mm Spotting Scope with Tripod And Case. its down from 400 to 235. Is this a good one? seems like it might be!!!
    Might be investing some of my tax return!
    H.

ps
    this is what it comes with
    Spotting scope with 20x to 60x magnification and 80mm objective lens
    Forward-expanding lens hood; photo adapter for photography
    157.2-foot field of view @ 1,000 yards (20x); 2.9mm exit pupil
    Includes tabletop tripod; measures 16.8 inches long; weighs 54.7 ounces
    Seems like a good deal to me....

Basic Member

bummer, just realized this was a konus not a kowa....

Sounds like a decent deal on a scope for the range.

I would not want to pack an 80mm scope through the woods, though.

I would look for something like a 15-45x60, at the absolute largest, if I were planning on packing it.

The Konus will not have the resolution/clarity of say, Kowa, Leica, or Swarovski.

The higher quality scopes will have better glass, meaning you don't need the higher magnification to see the same object as lesser glass.

I have read a lot of good reviews of Nikon, Pentax, & Vortex as well.

Google some nature watching forums and see what they are using.
    Rick_W
    CPO-USN(Ret)
    You don't know what you don't know.

Basic Member

Taken to heart! THanks, but, i already have the little guy, id be willing to trade you my little one for your big one! haha jk, just want something to check out critters from far away.

I did find
    Kowa TSN-601 Standard Optics 60mm Angled Spotting Scope for 425....but it seems that this is a fixed power scope? duno and it didnt say, sounds like it got a good warranty though. am goin to check out Vortex next. Thanks again!
    henry.

So i have done a tiny bit of homework, i dont think that the konus is for me from what the reveiws have said....

thomae

Quote Originally Posted by henry1
    Taken to heart! THanks, but, i already have the little guy, id be willing to trade you my little one for your big one! haha jk, just want something to check out critters from far away.

I did find
    Kowa TSN-601 Standard Optics 60mm Angled Spotting Scope for 425....but it seems that this is a fixed power scope? duno and it didnt say, sounds like it got a good warranty though. am goin to check out Vortex next. Thanks again!
    henry.

So i have done a tiny bit of homework, i dont think that the konus is for me from what the reveiws have said....
    I bought mine on ebay. It is either a fixed or variable power depending on what eyepiece you get. You can change eyepieces very easily and they are often available separately.

Basic Member

thanks thomea, the one is temp out of stock so either i wait or check out ebay....thanks again for your guy's help!
    Henry.

thomae

One other thing...if you do get a Kowa or similar scope with separate eyepieces, try to get a long eye relief eyepiece. It makes it just that much easier to quickly look at your target.