Thread: Removing crush washer from 110BA muzzle

Removing crush washer from 110BA muzzle

Anyone been able to get one of these apart?

I've got a brake from a 110 FCP that I want to screw on here, and it came with a crush washer for timing the brake.

The problem is... I can't get the corresponding original washer *off* the gun, and not for lack of trying. Penetrating oil, gripping it as gently as possible with pliers, tapping with a cold chisel at the seam between the 'washer' and the barrel... nada. It ain't coming off.

I'm starting to wonder if the dang thing isn't really a shoulder machined on the muzzle tenon... which makes little to no sense as to *why* they'd machine a tenon that looks like a crush washer?!? It would make sense that they used a crush washer to time the 110BA brake like they do the 110FCP... but that thing is on there like its all one piece.

Anybody?

Basic Member

Re: Removing crush washer from 110BA muzzle

Monte, the thing is with these crush washers is that they start out with a slight dish. The through hole is parrallel, and when it is "crushed", and the curvature is flattened out, the hole becomes smaller on the convex end. This usually smashes the I.D. against the threads, or just below the relief for the threads. You might try to unscrew it. Usually when I get them off, I open the hole up with dremel to prevent the hole from compressing against the threads and limiting the amount of crush.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Okay... that makes sense, that the inner surface might be pinching against the threads.

I've tried turning it already... kind of hard getting a grip on it right now. Might have to bring out the 10" vise-grips

Alternately I'm about ready to take a file and make some flats on that washer that I *can* get a grip on, either with the vise grips or a crescent hammer... err... wrench

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't trying to twist/grind off something that actually *was* part of the barrel, if ya know what I mean.

PBinWA

I had to unscrew the crush washer from my 110 FCP-K. I just used some pliers and grabbed it tight. Once you get it started it should come off easy.

stangfish

Quote Originally Posted by memilanuk
    I'm starting to wonder if the dang thing isn't really a shoulder machined on the muzzle tenon... which makes little to no sense as to *why* they'd machine a tenon that looks like a crush washer?!? It would make sense that they used a crush washer to time the 110BA brake like they do the 110FCP... but that thing is on there like its all one piece.

Don - LongRangeSupply

I have had to cut more than one crush washer to get it off of a barrel when it has been flattened enough to be smaller on the inside diameter than the OD of the threads.

Fortunately every one I had to do that with had enough room between the shoulder on the barrel and the threads that I could fit a pair of angle cutters over the crush washer to cut it.

Cool Crush washer removal

To remove a crush washer from the Savage 110 rifle is very simple. Use a Craftsman 3/8 hardened miniature chisel and a rubber mallet. Place the chisel on its side with the blade facing toward the shoulder of the barrel. Make sure the gun is tightly secured in a vise and it won't move. Tap the chisel with the mallet very carefully against the crush washer, and do not worry about damaging the existing threads. The side of the chisel will rest on the threads thus protecting the threads from damage. With 3 or 4 good solid taps on the crush washer and it should be loosened up enough to remove it. Hope this is beneficial. This is how I removed my crush washer and it worked very well. Make sure not to drive the chisel through the washer and hitting the shoulder at the back of the existing threads on the barrel. Take your time and you should be fine.
    Respectfully,
    RH Shooter

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Don - LongRangeSupply View Post
    I have had to cut more than one crush washer to get it off of a barrel when it has been flattened enough to be smaller on the inside diameter than the OD of the threads.

Fortunately every one I had to do that with had enough room between the shoulder on the barrel and the threads that I could fit a pair of angle cutters over the crush washer to cut it.
    Same thing here for a slew of AR-15s. Once you start trying to get some pliers on the washer to unscrew it you can warp it even more... I have used a dremel to cut away most of the material and then some cheap diag cutters to carefully nibble away until I can turn it into a split washer. Maybe use a peel washer to install the brake next time...