Thread: 6.5 mm thoughts?

aimsmall

6.5 mm thoughts?

I've been thinking ( gets me in trouble with the ol lady sometimes) about the 6.5 mm calibers lately, and some time this year id like to build a new gun so the gears are really turning here. If you were to build a new rifle for target and hunting in a .264 caliber what would be the deciding factor in choosing. 260 rem vs 6.5CM? The only real differences I see are case options. They both look to be near ballistic twins, and barrel life is also probably similar... just thoughts here, I like the idea of low recoil good BC's and SD's.

Basic Member

Re: 6.5 mm thoughts?

I went through the same thing 3 months ago, I went with the .260 , my reason being you get more case capacity, faster FPS, Creedmore is 6.5x48 and lapua is 47mm and 260 is same as 308 , 51mm.

I am just now working on load development so fsr it is all sub moa with sierra 100gr, 123gr, 142gr, just today neck size only useing a .290 bushing 40.1 grs of varget i shot 5 shot group at .645 of an inch out to 160 yards that calculates to .385 moa so far all have been sub 1/2 moa, once you find the right load Sierra data has been right on the money for their accuracy load as far as what powder to use ,so far I found all bullets used shoot best at .010 to .015 out from touch, except the 142smk, I had to back off the powder amount sierra gave had high pressure as a matter of fact i split a case in half, and I wasnt at full power data, ended up my gun shoots 100fps faster then sierra data with less powder, it is a model 12 long range , I bedded the HS Precision Stock before I ever shot it, I do not put tape on recoil lug when bedding, makes it nice an tight.

So that was my choice don.t tell the wife, mine has no idea it's best that way.

aimsmall

What's your preferred case for the .260? Im new to reloading so im just tryin to soak it all up. So far im kinda partial to hornady products as they are more local to me. I live a half hour south of their Grand island NE plant.

Sundo

FWIW, the 2010 National High Power champion was using inexpensive Remington brand brass in .260 Rem. Since then Lapua has entered the market with cases costing almost twice as much.

Basic Member

I use lapua, while i was waiting for lapua i necked up some win brass and rem brass rem is far better then win, but lapua is really good stuff.

aimsmall

Thanks for the replies y'all, another thing im curious about is powders. I've read H4350 is good, but hear RL-17 is "better", but I guess better is subjective. I hear RL-17 is a little sensitive to temp changes though.

Basic Member

had great luck with n150 for 123smk and 142smk and for light bullet real well with varget I have some 4350 that i just opened today going to try some tommorow if it doent rain

aimsmall

Anyone try the 140gr berger vlds? Very nice BC there.

buckfvr

Ive just about made my mind up to go with either a model 10 Predator Hunter Max 1, or the model 11 Long Range Hunter in .260 Rem. It will mostly be about dogs and deer, so I'm thinking 130gr Berger VLD and Lapua brass.......

aimsmall

That's what ill be using mine for plus targets. Im saving up for a build later this year, just doin my homework now. I think ill use a stevens 200 action, douglas 24"barrel, sss trigger, and a stockade stock. Still heavily debating on glass though. I want to get my ducks in a row before I get it all started.

Trent

Quote Originally Posted by frank1947
    I went through the same thing 3 months ago, I went with the .260 , my reason being you get more case capacity, faster FPS, Creedmore is 6.5x48 and lapua is 47mm and 260 is same as 308 , 51mm.
    The Creedmoor would be closer to 6.5x49. It falls nearly perfectly between the .260 and 6.5x47. (47 - 49 - 51)

Team Savage

I went with the 260 and Berger 130 VLD's in the Savage LWH over 6.5 Creedmore. Worked up loads with H4350, RL17 and H4831. Best accuracy and consistency in the 20" barrel was with H4350. When I compare the availability of Lapua brass, larger case capacity and availability/cost of dies, I decided on the 260 over the 6.5 Creedmore. Hornady does offer a good selection of less costly factory ammo for the Creedmore.

Also built a 6.5x284 with 26" CBI light varmint barrel for long range shooting and hunting. The Berger 140 VLD and RL17 has proved to be an awesome combination in this rifle.

aimsmall

What is the velocity like with a 20" barrel?

Team Savage

I'm getting 2900 in 20" Savage LWH barrel with 43.5 gr H4350 and 130 gr Berger bullets .010" OL. Lapua Brass. Need to carefully work up as I got excessive pressure with 129 gr Hornady SST's and 130 gr Accubonds well below this level in the same rifle.

buckfvr

What velocity did you get out of the 140gr VLD and R17 from the .284 ?

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by aimsmall
    What's your preferred case for the .260? Im new to reloading so im just tryin to soak it all up. So far im kinda partial to hornady products as they are more local to me. I live a half hour south of their Grand island NE plant.
    Ah, right around Hastings.

davemuzz

Just to "muck up the water" (as I'm a huge fan of the 6.5 Swede) a good hunting\shooting buddy of mine built his Savage 260 Rem and he uses nothing but Ramshot Hunter powder and 140gr. Nosler's. He can put a 5 shot group in a 1.5" hole any day at 300 yards. Heavy barrel Shilen. He say's he likes the Ramshot powder because it's cheap...and he also buys Nosler seconds....same reason.

Dave

aimsmall

The 6.5x55 intrigues me as well, the main thing I don't like about it is its low published pressures, which I understand is because all the old mausers might not handle hotter loads. But as far as powders go im not set on any one brand, I need to do some research to help narrow down my choices. Considering all especially brass availability I think im leaning to the. 260

Basic Member

shot about 30 rounds today with my 260, still cant get H4350 to shoot, in comparison to N150, but I am still fire forming brass, I did notice big difference with some i tested after FF.

aimsmall

This is will probably sound like a dumb question but why fire form?

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by buckfvr
    What velocity did you get out of the 140gr VLD and R17 from the .284 ?
    I'm getting 3045 fps and best accuracy with 49.5gr RL17, Berger 140gr VLD with 26" CBI Light Varmint Barrel chambered in 6.5x284.

davemuzz

The 6.5x55 intrigues me as well, the main thing I don't like about it is its low published pressures, which I understand is because all the old mausers might not handle hotter loads. But as far as powders go im not set on any one brand, I need to do some research to help narrow down my choices. Considering all especially brass availability I think im leaning to the. 260
    I use either Lapua or Norma brass for my Swede. I will get at least 15 reloads from these brass. Rem or Win brass will only give me 3 to 5. Hardly worth it. For my Swede I load with RL-22 and when shooting the Berger 140 VLD, I load 48gr of RL-22. Now, this is almost 2gr. OVER the published maximum and anyone who would attempt this should work slowly up to it.

However, from my rifle I get no pressure signs, and my velocities are just a tad over 2700fps.

Dave

Trent

Quote Originally Posted by davemuzz
    I use either Lapua or Norma brass for my Swede. I will get at least 15 reloads from these brass. Rem or Win brass will only give me 3 to 5. Hardly worth it. For my Swede I load with RL-22 and when shooting the Berger 140 VLD, I load 48gr of RL-22. Now, this is almost 2gr. OVER the published maximum and anyone who would attempt this should work slowly up to it.

However, from my rifle I get no pressure signs, and my velocities are just a tad over 2700fps.

Dave
    I would say 3 to 5 reloads on Win and Rem brass is a pressure sign. Or an out of spec chamber.

davemuzz

Quote Originally Posted by Trent

I would say 3 to 5 reloads on Win and Rem brass is a pressure sign. Or an out of spec chamber.
    Swede's can be tough on brass. Win and Rem are not the top of the line...as you get what you pay for. The barrel is a Shilen. I've yet to split one neck or had one case separation in over 500 rounds. I doubt it's a pressure issue. But maybe on round #603, it will make a liar out of me.

aimsmall

Thanks again for the replies y'all. Now I get the joy of waiting on cash to come around and parts to arrive.