Thread: Rifle shoots high after barrel replacement!

Larbike

Rifle shoots high after barrel replacement!

I just replace my factory barrel with a criterion varmint barrel and the NSS recoil lug and my rifle is shooting about 6 inches high at 100yds. ???

I tried to keep the scope alignment as close to the pre-barrel swap conditions and I am using the same rings mounts and scope. I cannot adjust the scope elevation knob enough to compensate. I did notice that the receiver may be sitting a little higher in the rear than it used to. Could it be because of the added thickness of the NSS lug vs the factory lug? Anyone else have this happen?

The rifle is a savage model 12 thumbhole varmint in .223. The new barrel is a criterion varmint barrel in the same caliber, 1 in 9 twist.

Any help is appreciated

Basic Member

Re: Rifle shoots high after barrel replacement!

Check list
    barrel free floated
    receiver not in a bind (I did notice that the receiver may be sitting a little higher in the rear than it used to.)
    is scope mounted on a rail with built in angle?
    are mounts level / is receiver machined level? straight edge will tell

as to reasons the factory barrel might have been a little off. factory lug might have been a little off or receiver face might be a little off. If everything checks out try reinstalling barrel with factory lug and see how close it gets. You might have a lot of inspec but on the edge of spec stacking up against you.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Larbike

The scope is mounted on two piece scope bases that are level and do not have an angle as far as I can tell. Only the front base was removed during the barrel replacement and I marked it's position so that I could reinstall the same way. If the receiver is binding what's the next step?

Basic Member

If the receiver is binding the next step would be find out why. If it didn't bind with the factory barrel and you used the factory barrel nut then the barrel and recoil lug would be the first place to look followed by the magazine to be sure it is properly in place. When you find the cause of the bind correct it by whatever means necessary.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Why do you think something has to be wrong? You changed the barrel. Of course it is not in the same place.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Eric in NC

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Avenger
    Why do you think something has to be wrong? You changed the barrel. Of course it is not in the same place.
    +1

You also took the scope off and remounted it - no way it stayed in the same spot.

Team Savage

make sure that your lug is not bottomed in the stock
    & the barrel is floated
    drybean

Basic Member

Check the recoil lug to make sure the locating screw is not bottoming out on the slot cut into the receiver face. If the screw bottoms before the lug makes contact with the receiver face, it would tip the barrel up.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

bill2260

Maybe the barrel is bent. Seriously, if it shoots groups not a problem. If it does not shoot groups, big problem. Just removing the scope and reinstalling could cause it to shoot 6 inches high.

Larbike

I wouldn't expect the rifle to shoot to the exact same point after the scope reinstall, but 6 -8 inches high is a little much!

Drybean - I think you got it! I measured the height of the factory lug with calipers and compared it to the NSS lug. The NSS lug is 0.014 inch taller than the factory lug. On closer inspection, It looks like the lug is bottoming on the recess in the stock . I' ll try to relieve the recess and see if that works. Thanks for the suggestions!

Larbike

Update - removed the barreled action from the stock and lightly relieved the lug recess in the stock with with a dremel. Sharpshooter suggested checking the locating screw on the lug for interference, which I did while the action was out of the stock. The head of the screw was not going all the way into the matching locating cut on the receiver. Apparently the head of the screw was slightly larger than the locating notch and would not seat properly. I removed the barrel and lug and proceeded to chuck the screw into my drill press. I lightly stoned a couple of thousandths from the screw head until slipped easily into the locating cut in the receiver. I put everything back together and it looks like the action is now seating properly. I'll have to wait until the weekend to take it out to the range and see how it shoots...................

MrMajestic

Glad you got it! Anticipating favorable results from the range!

northlander

The alignment pin being snug in the Savage Action slot is quite common. Easiest way to correct this is to lightly remove the slight burrs or high spot from the Savage Action alignment slot. I have mentioned this point to most customers that are upgrading to one of the Precision Ground Recoil Lugs. I suggest holding the Savage Action up in front of your face and seeing that the alignment pin allows the recoil lug to fit flush against the face of the Savage Action with the alignment pin passing through the Savage Action Notch.

The two contact points are:
    1. The bottom of the alignment pin may touch the bottom of the alignment notch if your receiver has been stamped by Savage with a number right below the notch. The stamping can cause the metal to flow up and reduce the required clearance. The fix here is to lightly file the depth of the notch back to its original intended depth.
    2. The sides of the alignment notch are often left with very light burrs from Savages machining of the notch. With a standard file stood on edge and pressed lightly against the sides of the notch you can easily eliminate any burrs and the alignment pin will now fit properly.

We could make the alignment pins to a smaller diameter but the purpose of a correctly sized part becomes lost when the Heavy Duty Recoil Lugs fit becomes sloppy.

Jim Briggs
    NSS

Larbike

That's what I eventually surmised. It makes sense to make the locating screw slightly oversize to obtain a good fit. Good to know. BTW, Jim do you sell the locating screws separately? It would be nice to have a spare.

northlander

Larbike,
    We do not make the alignment pins oversized. Some Savage Actions are undersized due to the manufacturing burrs or high spots caused by the number stamping that Savage does on the newer actions. We could make the alignment pins smaller but then if your Savage Action does not have a tight notch they would be too loose for the tolerances I prefer to see.

As long as you check the Heavy Duty Recoil Lug for fit prior to assembly you will be OK.

Jim Briggs
    NSS

Larbike

Jim: I agree that it's important to test fit components, especially after what I learned from this experience. Back to my question, do you sell the locating screws seperately?

northlander

Larbike,
    I can order an alignment pin seperately. I will check with my Tool & Die Maker and see what he wants for just the machined pin.

I just got him on the phone, $8.00 shipped for the machined pin.

Jim Briggs
    NSS