Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: When is Savage bringing the 25 in 17 hornet to market?

mcho

SHOOT IT!!! SHOOT IT!!!! SHOOT IT!!!! Mark

Quote Originally Posted by thomae View Post
    Ha! I started scrolling through the photos and after the first three thought that we were only going to see photos of the box until you actually took it out and shot it. However, instead of having a dry sense of humor as I do, you completely vindicated yourself with the subsequent photos.

LOL...I really seriously considered doing just that, but decided to be nice and throw you all a bone instead.

Strangest thing though....my M25 WV just so happens to have a suppressor ready barrel. This isn't mentioned on the website, the photo on Savage's site doesn't show a threaded barrel, and the pictures of the one Jeff @ GunBlast.com reviewed earlier this month don't show a threaded barrel either. I guess I'm just special!
    Jim B. - Site Administrator
    I run a forum - someone please shoot me and put me out of my misery already

davemuzz
    It's really no fair that you get one for "testing." I'm just saying it's no fair. I have no reason or validation to back up my statement, nothing to say what I'm saying is correct, or even reasonable. I'm just saying it's no fair.

BTW....I have two boxes of factory ammo....a box of Hornady brass, plus the Hornady reloading data. I'd be glad to share it with you and even give you the ammo if you promise to sell me that rifle in the next three weeks. :)

Quote Originally Posted by davemuzz View Post
    It's really no fair that you get one for "testing." I'm just saying it's no fair. I have no reason or validation to back up my statement, nothing to say what I'm saying is correct, or even reasonable. I'm just saying it's no fair.

BTW....I have two boxes of factory ammo....a box of Hornady brass, plus the Hornady reloading data. I'd be glad to share it with you and even give you the ammo if you promise to sell me that rifle in the next three weeks. :)
    ROFL

It's all because you live in Pittsburgh. The fine folks in New England who run Savage are prejudice against Steeler fans.

Received the ammo I ordered today, so now it's just a matter of waiting for the weather to cooperate since its' been raining all day.

One thing I did discover is that the magazine only holds 4 rounds which is a bit of a surprise.

Also lined up a few other compact cartridges I had handy to do a relative size comparison.

davemuzz
    New England....Hmmmmm....Now I'm beginning to Understand!! Actually, I was in Bar Harbor Maine a few weeks ago. All I can tell you is if you have never been in that neck of the woods......you are missing something.

4 shot magazines? Well....why suprized when you only need one shot anyway!!

Big Old Boy
    I hope yours is as good as Jeff's on gun blast he sold me, I just now need to find one.BTW I am getting crazy prices $560- $599 I may wait for the price to come down, I hope.

Well, the factory test target wasn't too promising with a 3-shot group measuring 0.9" at 100 yards. Mind you, the indoor range where these test targets are shot features pneumatic clamps that hold the rifle perfectly still and the whole top has windage and elevation dials that move the entire rest to align the crosshair on the target. The base of the shooting bench is a 1/2" thick piece of steel plate to ensure no amount of recoil is going to move it.

Generally "C.F." who shoots all the test targets on the review guns I receive provides me with targets measuring 0.6-0.7" and I'm generally able to shrink those down by a tenth or two in my testing. So if that trend remains consistent with this gun it should consistently group in the 0.7-0.8" range which is perfectly adequate but not outstanding by my standards.

One downside with the 17 Hornet is there's only one option for factory ammunition, and I'm not going to waste my time/money buying dies and components to reload for a cartridge/gun I don't intend to keep as I have no use or need for it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Old Boy View Post
    I hope yours is as good as Jeff's on gun blast he sold me, I just now need to find one.BTW I am getting crazy prices $560- $599 I may wait for the price to come down, I hope.

I see some on an auction site for $459, not sure if its the exact model you want or not.... just passing that on.

Went to the new Dick's store in Orem, Utah this afternoon. They had the Model 25 with the laminate stock for $599. The Hornady box of 25 (ammo) came out to $21.99.

Seems a little absurd?

How much more range will the 17 Hornet have over the 17 HMR? I mean those tiny little bullets will be flying all over the place with just a slight wind.

What's the appeal?

davemuzz
    Quote Originally Posted by Carvera View Post

How much more range will the 17 Hornet have over the 17 HMR? I mean those tiny little bullets will be flying all over the place with just a slight wind.

What's the appeal?
    I currently have a rebarreled Stevens in Rem 17 Fireball. The difference between a 17 center fire and the 17 rimfire is night and day. I once owned a 17hmr and sold it. I'll never own one again. The velocities that the Fireball can obtain and the one-shot-kills it will do on fox with little or no fur damage out to 200 yards has been demonstrated time and time again.

A rimfire 17 caliber could never get close to this performance.

I want the Model 25 because the rifle is lighter and a bit more compact than my Stevens. So it will be easier to handle at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Carvera View Post

What's the appeal?
    That's been my question, and I think when all is said and done the 17 Hornet will fade away after a year or so just like the 17 Mach 2 and so many other new cartridges have in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by davemuzz View Post
    I want the Model 25 because the rifle is lighter and a bit more compact than my Stevens. So it will be easier to handle at night.
    Might want to double check your math as my Model 25 WV weights in right at 7 pounds w/o scope, rings, sling or bipod. It's actually heavier than both the Axis and Stevens 200 which weigh in at 6.5-lbs.

Big Old Boy
    I think the 17 hornet will stand the test of time as the 22 hornet has, IMO. It will be a great round low noise and recoil yet only drops 6-8 in. in 400 yds. with a 200 yd. zero and dirt cheap to reload. I will be trading my 22-250 when I find one. My wife likes to shoot but does not like the noise it will be great for her and the grand kids.

Well, as expected the synthetic stock on the Walking Varminter is about as worthless as the stock on the Axis rifles. Shot 12 groups today and every time the first shot would be AWOL. Didn't matter if I shot the groups back to back or if I waited 15 minutes to let the barrel cool, every time the first shot would end up in left field. Maybe that's why they give you a 4-round mag, they knew the first shot is always FUBAR so this way you can still shoot a decent 3-shot group. lol

In any event, my agg. for the 12 groups at 100 yards was a less than stellar 0.743". Not horrible by any means, but with the flexi-wrist stock handicap I don't see it getting much better. Sometimes groups would be dead-center and high, other times they'd be the the left or right of the bull...just depended on how tightly or loosely I was gripping the stock. Had one failure to extract, but think that was more my fault than the guns as I was trying not to send my brass flying into the next county (the ejector really flings these small cases!).

Big Old Boy
    thanks maybe I need to wait for the wood stock.

I really wish I had a Model 25 laminate stock here just so I could see what the little 17 Hornet is capable of. It wants to shoot, it's hinted it can shoot at 50 yards, but that &$%@ wet-noodle stock just makes it impossible to shoot consistently.

Good News: Emailed Joe DeGrande today and have a Model 25 laminate "scratch and dent" stock coming my way so I can verify without question that my accuracy woes are indeed being caused by the synthetic stock.

Bad News: Now I need to buy more ammo.

Big Old Boy
    I for one can't wait for your results. somthing is off with yours, Gun blast test had it as a great shooter lets hope it is the stock.

mcho
    OK! I found a 25LV 17HH at a Dicks store in Ceader Rapids, IA.. 600Mi. round trip and it is in my hands now. One hole at 50 yards with factory ammo, 1.5" at 200 yds. with factory ammo. All is GOOD in Iowa. I will start working-up a load in the near future. I think that it will do better once I get it all worked out. I will let you know how it all works out in the days to come. Mark PS They said that they have had it for TWO months.

Big Old Boy
    good for you can't wait for more info, I have not found one yet. what kind of scope did you use and pics. would ge great. thanks.

mcho
    It has a 6-18 Leo. and I will need a few days to gather more info and pics. So far it is looking like a winner. Thanks Mark

mcho
    This target fired of the tailgate of my tryck with sand bags. Mark

Big Old Boy
    well you sold me looks like a great gun.

davemuzz

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Big Old Boy View Post
    well you sold me looks like a great gun.
    Yup.....I agree!!

(I wonder if that's a fake dime that's really as big as one of those huge dirt mover dump's tires??)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast