Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: When is Savage bringing the 25 in 17 hornet to market?

davemuzz

Trent, They were suppose to be "available" back in January. Had they been "available" back then, I would have had the time to develop my fox load, and had the confidence that the rifle would do what I wanted and needed it to do. At this point, my .17 Fireball will do just fine since I've been using it for the last two years and it's just a matter of pulling it out of the safe, loading up the magazine and go hunting.

So....when you tell me "If you are willing to let everyone else buy them and review them then you can't be in much of a hurry.".....I would say your wrong. What I AM saying is that if they released the rifle when THEY said they would, it would have fit into MY TIME FRAME of getting the firearm ready FOR ME. But now that they have pushed back the release date, THEY WILL HAVE TO WAIT FOR MY MONEY.

OTOH, I don't think that one tiny little model 25 sale will make or break 'em. But I can't shove in load development, scope selection, and getting the firearm hunt ready in a short period. And Lord knows I don't want you to manage my life. I'm from the North. :) We multi-task up here.

Trent
    I'm from the North as well. However, it has been proven that "multi-tasking" is actually less efficient for humans rather than doing one thing at a time. Just say'n. ;-)

I'd like to have one of these .17 Hornets but it's at the bottom of my "to-do" list right now. Gotta get a Rem barrel threaded/chambered, new shotgun and then the next purchase will be a large component order to get me through next year. Besides, since I moved from Colorado to Georgia my .204r hasn't been out of the safe. Seems they don't have Prairrie Dogs in Georgia. Who knew.

davemuzz
    Trent!!!!....From Colorado.....to Georgia!!!!....I'll keep you in my prayers!!!! :)

Trent
    Thanks! It sucks down here!

Nah, it's not all bad... it ain't all good either though. Maybe when I get back to Colorado in two years (or so) CZ and Savage will a solid reputation on the .17 Hornet and I'll pick one up then.

leo158
    39 days till fox opens here in pa. I to dave been waiting for them to hit a store around here so I can get one also and ready for the over lap season. I do believe the 17 hornet will be the best caliber for our over lap season with min pelt damage to fox and bobcats and still good for a coyote if one decided to show up. But I am still waiting for it to hit the shelves. Dan

Big Old Boy
    just read the Gunblast review and it sounds like savage did a good job.

jer4299
    I bought one in Colonial Heights, VA at Dance's Sporting Goods on Sunday. They had the synthetic stock and the std lam stock but not the thumbhole stock. Have not had time to shoot it yet. Just got the scope in yesterday. Putting a Nikon 3-9x 50 Buckmaster with the $30 rebate offer on it. I got the lam wood to get the longer barrel. The salesman at first didn't know he had any in stock but he asked another one and found them in the back. Gun feels really nice although the safety is hard to move. The plastic ammo magazine seems out of place on a high dollar rifle.

Hippy

leo158
    I just called dicks and they sold last one yesterday. They said another shipment will be in next week. So I be driving 45 miles to pick mine up next week. They said call early and they will save for 24 hrs. Dan

Trent
    Hurry up and shoot them guys! Looking forward to some user photos and reports!

Trent
    Quote Originally Posted by jer4299 View Post
    The plastic ammo magazine seems out of place on a high dollar rifle.
    High dollar rifle?? How much did you pay? MSRP was like $550 or something on the Walking Varminter. Street price should have been under $500.

davemuzz
    Looks like they are in demand and supply is short. This post on another forum http://www.varminthunters.com/forum/...783#post256783 this guy said he paid $599 for his. But maybe that was the wood stock model.

weewilly
    Must be too far away all the way down here in Texas, can't find anyone who knows of any wholesalers that have been shipped any, checked with several dealers.

Trent
    Quote Originally Posted by weewilly View Post
    Must be too far away all the way down here in Texas, can't find anyone who knows of any wholesalers that have been shipped any, checked with several dealers.
    I don't think it's approved for export into your country yet. ;-)

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davemuzz View Post
    Looks like they are in demand and supply is short. This post on another forum http://www.varminthunters.com/forum/...783#post256783 this guy said he paid $599 for his. But maybe that was the wood stock model.
    anyone else take a peek at the link he showed??
    the owner of the rifle took some close up pics and put them in a album here http://imageevent.com/peteh/17hornet

anyone else see that crown??? :/ whats the dill, pickle?

side notes, I'm happy to see a barrel nut even if it is a smoothie. and the stock isa beauty.
    Couple rf's, couple cf's, and 1 12g.

Everything I once held dear
    I count it all as lost

davemuzz
    Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    I don't think it's approved for export into your country yet. ;-)
    Ha Ha Ha HA!!!!...I from country of Pennsylvania. You need passport?

mcho
    Cabela's ( Mitchel SD. ) called today and said that they have two Mod. 25 walking varmiter mod. 17HH. I am waiting for the LV or LVT Mod. I can only hope that they come in soon. Mark

Supposedly a Walking Varminter in 17HH will be enroute to me from Savage in the next day or two - that's according to an email from them yesterday, but I'm not holding my breath. Did order a couple boxes of ammo for it today though, just in case it does show up.
    Jim B. - Site Administrator
    I run a forum - someone please shoot me and put me out of my misery already

mcho
    Admin. When did you place your order with Savage? Mark

Big Old Boy
    If and when you get the WV. please post pics. and let us know what you think of her.

I've been waiting for them to send me a Walking Varminter to review since last year when they were first introduced, but apparently they had stock issues all year which kept them out of production. When they announced a .17 HH chamber option for this year I changed my request to get one as that would let me kill two birds with one stone (new model and new cartridge).

Something arrived today....

Standard 204/223 size magazine just has the rear filled in solid to shorten it up to Hornet length.

Barrel is actually what I'd consider a magnum sporter or medium heavy contour, and it's threaded with a rather odd 1/2-20 pitch for a suppressor. Gun weighs in at just over 7 pounds which makes it heavier than an Axis, so it's not the featherweight the "walking varminter" name would imply. Not horrible, but noticeable - and I think I'd rather have a lighter pencil barrel for a "walking" gun. Stock is very similar in shape and feel to the Axis, which isn't a plus in my book.

Big Old Boy
    thanks for the pics looking forward to a full report.

Ammo will be here tomorrow

thomae
    Ha! I started scrolling through the photos and after the first three thought that we were only going to see photos of the box until you actually took it out and shot it. However, instead of having a dry sense of humor as I do, you completely vindicated yourself with the subsequent photos.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast