Thread: My homemade runout system

My homemade runout system

I used these axle bearing's, brick, JB weld, and .001 automotive indicator which cost's about 50$

There really is an excuse for everything!

Re: My homemade runout system

Now that's improvisation! ;D
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member

Excellent Dan - I get satisfaction making and using kit I have made myself and save a few $$'s too.
    Here is one of my comparator/runout gauges, the base is cut from a marble floor tile. And a rear bag I made to fit my Savage 12F.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...

Ya know, Dan.... I like that a lot.
    Can I get you to send my a set of plans so I can make one? It's way better than mine. The flexible gas line I used starts to move and sag as the table is bumped or vibrates....

Nicely done
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

To get bearing's like that you could probably find them in a local automotive shop, I happen to be a mechanic so I always save stuff like that, you could probably even use ball bearings. I just took the brick and molded some plumber's putty into a rectangle (you can see in the pic's I didn't get all the putty off,I just went to work with it), put the JB weld in there and placed the bearings in it and used a .308 case to true the bearings up while the JB dried over night. I like JB weld because it is available every where around here, Napa, Advanced Auto Parts, Carquest etc. The disc brake runout gauge you can find online or get one from an automitve parts store.

I reload a lot of .308 and have been using the Lee Collet neck sizer die which produces very low runout, I mean like under .001. My buddy's rounds are averaging on my system at about .003 and that is with brand new Nosler Custom brass and RCBS equipment.

Nice work Allan that is profesional, by the way does 1066 in reference to International?

riverat

great job on the home runout gage, if you guys need roller or ball bearings i can supply you with as many as you need,i work for a bearings company here in penna,and rebuild precision production machines for a living so bearings are pretty much my cup of tea :)

Jeff

davemuzz

Oh.....Yeah.....but no one tells ya where you got the fancy brick!!! ;D

Shucks I forgot to mention how I made the brick, I'll have to start a new topic on that one :).

Basic Member

that is a great runout tool , I been thinking for months on doing that, now I have to do it. Good job you guys

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by DanSavage
    Nice work Allan that is profesional, by the way does 1066 in reference to International?
    Well spotted Dan - I live in a damp little island across the pond.(about a long rifle shot from where a famous battle took place long ago) :)

Being an automechanic you might recognise this:-

Yes Allan, that idea with the jack has crossed my mind on more than one occasion, I have several different style jacks set aside for that purpose I just haven't got around to that yet but I will be getting to it soon because I normally shoot local FT/R matches but I'm going to be having surgery on my shoulder soon and I will be shooting F class off the bench left handed.

Regards,
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by allan1066
    Well spotted Dan - I live in a damp little island across the pond.(about a long rifle shot from where a famous battle took place long ago) :)

1066 - Battle of Hastings, correct?

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by GaCop

Correct sir - You win the coconut :)

Quote Originally Posted by davemuzz
    tell us where you live and what you drive! we will get you one. Mint condition, no finger prints :)
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

davemuzz

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Avenger
    Quote Originally Posted by davemuzz
    tell us where you live and what you drive! we will get you one. Mint condition, no finger prints :)
    You know......since your so thoughtful....how about you give me your address and phone number, and I'll just come over and as soon as I get there.....why I'll call you to let you know I'm there. ;D :D Yeah.....that's what I'll do.!!!! Don't look at those piles of rocks behind that blanket in the back seat......that's for gardening!!!

I spent 3 1/2 years at RAF Greenham Common/RAF Welford bomb dump. That date always stuck in my mind for some reason? I thoroughly enjoyed my time in the UK.

Basic Member

I spent 3 1/2 years at RAF Greenham Common/RAF Welford bomb dump. That date always stuck in my mind for some reason? I thoroughly enjoyed my time in the UK.
    What planes were they deploying when you were there. I know the KC-135 tankers were based there for awhile, also the F1-11 and Phantams. Of course we don't need the bases now as we only have 57 planes left in the RAF and we have just given you all our Harriers for a couple of hundred $'s ;D
    http://www.greenham-business-park.co.uk/site-history

What planes were they deploying when you were there. I know the KC-135 tankers were based there for awhile, also the F1-11 and Phantams. Of course we don't need the bases now as we only have 57 planes left in the RAF and we have just given you all our Harriers for a couple of hundred $'s ;D
    http://www.greenham-business-park.co.uk/site-history
    Raf Greenham Common didn't have any aircraft when I got there in Jan 1980. It was a NATO standby base until they announced in 1981 that Greenham would become a cruise missle base. Shortly after the official announcement, the protesters began camping out at the main gate. RAF Lakenheath had some FB-111's but, RAF Upper Heyford had a whole wing of FB-111's. There was an RAF base not far from Greenham that was home to the KC-135's but I can't recall the name at the moment.

MrMajestic

How'd you get the coconuts? I mean they are from a temperate climate right. Are you suggesting a Swallow...... ;D