Ok we all know that oil can break down and soften wood over time so you're not supposed to get oil on your wood stocks. I oil/lube my guns with a very thin film and always have and wipe off the excess. I've always wiped a thin film of oil on the metal surfaces to protect them from corrosion and have never worried about it before. But I've been thinking more about it lately. If all metal surfaces should have a thin film of oil on them, then how are you supposed to totally keep any oil from coming in contact with the wood? I've always wiped down the bottom of my receivers when I had the stocks off and so far haven't seen any ill effects. Now granted, I don't have them soaked, or dripping but I'll put a couple drops in pivot points and a thin coat on the metal and wipe off excess. So I guess what I'm wondering is how much does it take to damage the wood? I know soaking it would, but are small amounts like that detrimental too? Like I said though so far I haven't seen any problems with mine. Thanks for your opinions.