Thread: Vortex Crossfire

smoker

Vortex Crossfire

Just to make sure. I have a Vortex Crossfire 8x32x50. The elevation and windage gradations in 1/8". If I start at zero and do one full revolution have I elevated my POI 90" at 100 yards? Does anyone have a simple solution to a printed card/label that would tell me how many clicks I would need to adjust for 100 yard increments from 100-1000? Thanks smoker

Team Savage

Re: Vortex Crossfire

8 clicks = 1in
    drybean

I think your Crossfire only does 15moa per revolution of the turret. It takes 8 clicks to move 1moa. One revolution is 120 clicks. Each click moves 1/8moa.

There are tons of external ballistic calculators. You can get them for online, phones, Ipods, and PC's. Many will give you very good data.

Just so you know, environmental changes can have a big effect on flight path at extended distance. A card may work well out to several hundred yards in most conditions, but beyond that, you'll need the proper equipment.

"Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Also, moa is not the same as 1"@100y. Keep your inches and moa separate. It's not much but, may be the difference between a hit/miss at long range.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Basic Member

1MOA=1.047 inches @100 yards
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

smoker

Thanks Folks, it was much easier when I just aimed high:)

pitsnipe

Quote Originally Posted by earl39
    1MOA=1.047 inches @100 yards
    Yup,
    And we all just round it off to 1" as 1 MINUTE at 100 yds. Just have to know how much elevation you need to get your point of aim POA to match (if windage is not a factor) your point of impact POI. It is actually very easy. If you need, for example 5" of elevation at 500 yards (very flat example of course) then you would "go up" 1 minute = 8 clicks (for your scope) to get that 5". One minute will be 1/100th of the distance. One minute at 600 yds = 6" and so on. Once it clicked for me that the amount of a minute changes with the distance. And that a minute of adjustment on the scope (for my 1/4 moa) was ALWAYS 4 clicks. The light came on. It was a DUH moment for me for sure. You'll get it. Just takes some time running yourself through drills. I did this with my range finder and playing with the elevation turret. Knowing where I was from my "zero". And if all else failed and I lost track. Go back to zero and start over.
    Welcome to never using Kentucky windage (or elevation) again. :) :) ;D ;D

smoker

Great explanation pitsnipe. Thank you very much. smoker