Thread: How to adjust staggered feed mag?

Basic Member

How to adjust staggered feed mag?

I pulled my mag off the action when I cleaned every thing and polished bolt and bedded action. I have it back on and it's dragging on bolt and even before I disassembled and now, it scratches the bass pretty good. It is a 7mm rm. how much clearence should I have from top of mag and bottom of bolt?

Re: How to adjust staggered feed mag?

To eliminate the feed lips dragging on the bolt, you'll have to carefully file the feed lips until the no longer contact the bolt. I've never encountered a problem such as yours. The fix is a pain because of the file and try method, you will probably end up breaking off a tab. Probably the easiest would be to order a new mag box from Midway USA.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member

Sounds like the feed lips were bent too high up. They should not contact the bolt. Are the mag lips scratching the brass or something else? If it's the lips, I would install the mag and use a dremmel (or a small file if that is all you have, but those lips are HARD) and carefully remove a little bit at a tile and load some into the mag and try it. Otherwise it will get broken from the repeated R&R.

By the way, I ordered a mag from Midway for the 300WM and it scratched the crap out of my cases, so that is no guarantee either.

Basic Member

The tab that holds it in the receiver is bent past 90 degrees, holding it too high.
    Using a large flat blade screw driver, place the blade on the rear tab from the top and tap with a hammer.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter
    The tab that holds it in the receiver is bent past 90 degrees, holding it too high.
    Using a large flat blade screw driver, place the blade on the rear tab from the top and tap with a hammer.
    Interesting point, never thought of that one.

Quote Originally Posted by handirifle
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter
    Interesting point, never thought of that one.
    +1!
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member

Yep I got her bent back down and the I done some fine sanding on the lips until nothing felt sharp or unsmooth to the touch. Thanks guys.