Thread: Savage 12 - Maybe I am missing something?

Pistoldave

Savage 12 - Maybe I am missing something?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=147079381

Hello all,

Been reading the forum for a while now, lots of good info on here, this is my first post. I have been watching the GB auction above for several days now mostly out of curiousity. As I type this, the bid is at 605.00$ with ~30 mins to go. I just ordered a new 10 FCP-K for about 650$ a few days ago, and I am wondering, am i missing something in this auction? This seems like a high price and an awful lot of interest for a plain used beater with an unknown aftermarket barrel and perhaps stock. I thought I had a pretty good feel for the range that this rifle was going to sell for, but I was obviously mistaken. I have been trying to keep an eye on the used guns to hopefully pick up a reasonable "project". Thought this might be a contender, but it went well past what I would be willing to give. Based on available info, what would you guys consider a fair price?

Take care,
    Dave

sinman

Re: Savage 12 - Maybe I am missing something?

i dont think its a good price, its a bell carlson duramaxx stock, non accutrigger and factory barrel.

Uncle Jack

Many bizarre things take place over on Gun Broker. Perusing the auctions there is often more entertaining than watching television.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jack
    Many bizarre things take place over on Gun Broker. Perusing the auctions there is often more entertaining than watching television.
    Unless you're the seller. ;D (Which, BTW, I'm not)
    Kelly

Pistoldave

Well, you know, any item for sale is worth what someone is willing to pay for it, whether it is extremely high or low. I just could not figure out what was so special about this particular rifle that it would bring a price close to what a new one costs when it has obviously been "fiddled" with, and the "fiddling" is of an unknown quality. I thought maybe there might be something unusual about it that I was not aware of that would command that kind of price or something.

Dave

Wow
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

82boy

That gun has been up for sale for about a year now. Every time they had it up they had a crazy reserve on it. (I think $800) The gun is less than desirable it is a cast receiver, with the scope bases being one piece with the receiver. It is a long action in a B&C duramax stock. I believe that the barrel is a factory Savage BVSS. Some one got hosed on that deal.

Pistoldave

No kidding?? Well, i just learned something about Savages, I have never seen one that had the scope bases cast into the receiver, i didnt even notice that there were no screw holes in the bases. Are these integral bases very common?

Dave

82boy

Quote Originally Posted by Pistoldave
    No kidding?? Well, i just learned something about Savages, I have never seen one that had the scope bases cast into the receiver, i didnt even notice that there were no screw holes in the bases. Are these integral bases very common?

Dave
    Not really, they did that for a couple of years, and stopped.

Basic Member

I dont think Savage ever cast 110-112 redcievers. I got some of these in in the early 1990's, They were both steel and alum., weaver style bases that were silver soldered on. Darn sure wouldnt shoot loose, and never a complaint from customers. My first 112's had these on all of them when I sold them in the store. Anyone else have expeience with these.

The cast receivers were a very short (6-8 month) experiment Savage tried in 1988 or 1989 while exploring ways to cut costs while trying to dig themselves out of bankruptcy. The main problem was voids in the castings in.around the integral bases, so they 86'd the idea.

"Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

pphreed1

If you are looking for a project gun check your local pawn shops you should be able to pick one up for 200 300 bucks Fred

Snowwolfe

If you are looking for a new Savage have your local friend/ffl dealer contact Ron Shirks. They had the cheapest prices on Savages I could find when purchasing my 12 long range varmiter.