Thread: Differences in Brass

Jason8691

Differences in Brass

I finally got all of the supplies I needed for case prep and reloading purchased, which was tedious because I had to go to several locations to get it all. Anyway, I have three different kinds of once fired .308 brass on hand-and in cleaning I noticed varying differences in their size and how they formed to the chamber. The Magtech and Federal didn't deform at all, I couldn't find any bulges at the base. The Winchesters all expanded a bit about 1/8th inch above the base. So it appears that Winchester brass is smaller than the spec's of the rifle for some reason. Has anyone else noticed this with Winchester brass?

Basic Member
    I only use Win brass so I cannot do a comparison. But measuring the water capacity of 308 before and after firing, for me it gains 0.5 gr when fired which can make a small difference in velocity.

Sounds like some of the loads weren't loaded to the same pressure, not really the end of the world.
    Since Olin sold off everything shooting related some time ago, who knows how many supplier changes, or least costing methods they have gone through.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Jason8691
    Quote Originally Posted by darkker View Post
    Sounds like some of the loads weren't loaded to the same pressure, not really the end of the world.
    Since Olin sold off everything shooting related some time ago, who knows how many supplier changes, or least costing methods they have gone through.
    Well, I narrowed it down to the Winchester Silverbox 150gr shells. The whitebox 147gr shells didn't do it. I know its not the end of the world, It was just interesting that shells from the same company would react differently.