Thread: 22 hornet

22 hornet

I posted a thread earlier about this but now its time has come (maybe).
    I want to build a Hornet on a model 10 action.problem is there isn't a bolt head for this conversion.I have spoken to SSS and Lisa said Fred doesn't play with these and Jim Briggs doesn't know of any either,soooo do any of you know of anyone who makes a bolt head for this conversion?
    Plan was mod.10 or 12,Shilen 24" full bull barrel,placed into a Savage laminate stock with a 16x SS scope mounted on top. Rifle would be for 100 yards paper and some thick Ct.woods coyote hunting.
    Any help or suggestions?Thanks.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Cycler

Re: 22 hornet

If you will compromise on it having to have the Model 10 action, Savage makes the Model 25 in .22 Hornet as a stock item. You could get one of these and customize it with an aftermarket barrel and stock.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/

82boy

Why not just build a 221 fireball?

I thought about the model 25 or 40 but from what I can see there is no barrel nut and both seem to use a modified rimfire bolt.

82 boy I have had 2 different makes of the hornet and neither one was accurate.I was hoping to build a Savage for accuracy and to use the brass and dies I already have to save some of the expense.
    P.S. think you can talk Fred into making me a bolt.
    FROGGY

Eric in NC

Quote Originally Posted by rjtfroggy

I thought about the model 25 or 40 but from what I can see there is no barrel nut and both seem to use a modified rimfire bolt.
    Take a look at the "new" model 25's before you make up your mind! They have changed them quite a bit.

1Shot

..You could buy a CZ for the money you're going to spend trying to come up with that combo...

Basic Member

Hornets are very not accurate any way you build them.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Eric in NC

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter
    Hornets are very not accurate any way you build them.
    Hmm.... Have to disagree with that one. Maybe when compared to 22 PPC etc. but as far as any 22 cal centerfire that is in that velocity (and noise) range, what do you have that is better? The 221 is far better but it makes more fuss. Even harder to get a 218 Bee up and running. So for a minimal noise, minimal blast centerfire varmint cartridge - you going to reccomend the 17 Hornet?

I don't know what kind of accuracy demands you have, but my Model 40 (rechambered to 22 K-Hornet) shoots under .75" @ 100yds and I am still tweaking the load some. For small game hunting I think that will do, but for fun I am going to see if I can get better out of it. I will say i think it can do a lot better, its usually the 5th shot that opens the group to .75 for me.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

1Shot

..A 5.7 Johnson would be better....You would'nt have to fool with the rimmed case..

Eric you have the right idea, the noise issue is part of the problem otherwise I would just use any one of what I have.
    Ct. is a populated little state that is thickly covered with small patches of dense woods(small as compared to most states, and many of the land owners are from our neighbors to the west( N.Y.)and they are mostly charter members of peta or act like it.The 42 acre parcel I have permission to hunt is bordered by just such people and they have called the police or GW on us in the past.
    Boots I may have to go with the model 40 but need to make up my mind in a day because there is a N.I.B. for $450 on one of the auction sites.Also .75 or maybe a little tighter would be great,compared to the 1.75 or more that I got in the past with the 2 I had.
    FROGGY

MrMajestic

Ever consider a Moderator/Supressor?

Cycler

It should be easy to load a .221 Fireball or even a .222 or .223 Rem down to Hornet (or even .22 MRF) ballistics and noise without having to either buy a Model 25 or heavily modify a 10/110-based action.

Basic Member

+1
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Anyone know if the model 25 has a barrel nut?
    FROGGY

82boy

No it does not. If it did it would not use the standard nut wrench, and no one makes a wrench for it. (The action is smallar around than a 110, and would require a smaller nut.) Also the barrel would be smaller and a different thread than a 110, and last I knew no one was making pre-fit barrels for the 25. With that said it would be just as easy to just have barrels shouldered to the action, if you have to have a switch barrel gun with a rimed bolt head. (Unless you plan on buying mulitple 25's then you would have to have then shouldered to each gun.) How many calibers could you swith to, a 22 hornet, a 22 K hornet, maybe a 218 donaldson wasp. There just aint a buch of rimed calibers. As far as I know the 25 doesn't use a floating bolt head like the 110's do, it basicly a rimfire action.

Actually according to Effie all new model 25's will have a barrel nut(called this morning).
    I think the bolt is like the old model 340 but may be a modified rim fire bolt.
    As far as thread pitch goes I forgot to ask.
    Expected date for shipping unkown by Effie.
    FROGGY

82boy

Actually according to Effie all new model 25's will have a barrel nut(called this morning).
    So who makes a wrench to fit it?

If need be RIGID.
    FROGGY

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by 82boy

No it does not. If it did it would not use the standard nut wrench, and no one makes a wrench for it. (The action is smallar around than a 110, and would require a smaller nut.) Also the barrel would be smaller and a different thread than a 110, and last I knew no one was making pre-fit barrels for the 25. With that said it would be just as easy to just have barrels shouldered to the action, if you have to have a switch barrel gun with a rimed bolt head. (Unless you plan on buying mulitple 25's then you would have to have then shouldered to each gun.) How many calibers could you swith to, a 22 hornet, a 22 K hornet, maybe a 218 donaldson wasp. There just aint a buch of rimed calibers. As far as I know the 25 doesn't use a floating bolt head like the 110's do, it basicly a rimfire action.

82boy......I have one of the older model 25's with no barrel nut. I'm interested in your comment about easily having a barrel shouldered to the action so I could change out the barrels on it. What would be involved in accomplishing this?

82boy

Quote Originally Posted by teebirdhyzer
    82boy......I have one of the older model 25's with no barrel nut. I'm interested in your comment about easily having a barrel shouldered to the action so I could change out the barrels on it. What would be involved in accomplishing this?
    Sending the acttion off to a gunsmith, and have them shoulder and chamber all the barrels you could possible want. Then when you get it back, use a action wrench, and a barrel vice, and switch all you want.

moorepower

I think the 25 is a three lug action, not a rimfire action. The new nut may use a spanner wrench. There are alot of CZ's in 22 hornet that will shoot sub 1/2". My H&R will shoot sub 3/4" 5 shot groups. If you have that inaccurate of a Hornet, chances are it is a Ruger.