Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Model 110 E .30-06 Good value as Starter Savage

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

Model 110 E .30-06 Good value as Starter Savage

So I was in the LGS today,and I saw a Savage Model 110 E Serial E814071. It is in caliber .30-06.
    They want $229 for it. Don't own a Savage(yet) but the bug has bitten. This only my second thread, so please bear with any ignorance.

The bluing is good, but the stock is ugly as sin. The wood is nice, but it seems that the varnish?, clear coat? is non-existent. Has a scope mount and rings, but they don't really match up to the ejection port. It has already been tapped for sights(factory), and all of the non-used srews are still in place.

The important part is that the rifling is really nice, and the bolt is smooth as silk. The trigger to me seems very light, with almost no travel to it. They said the guy used it for target shooting, so maybe a diferent trigger?
    It has in internal magazine.

Is this a good price? Could I eventually swap the barrel and stock over to a .308 or .358 long distance setup and still keep the total investment under $1000?
    Thanks again for all the input!
    David

ellobo

Re: Model 110 E .30-06 Good value as Starter Savage

A good price. Yes. See my addition to your previous post. Keep in mind what is there is strictly my opinion, I am sure you will get others.

El Lobo

Basic Member

WestPat,

Where is this LGS you speak of...address, phone number...I want to go ahead and BUY that gun for $229 and have it shipped to my FFL...just kidding...MAN YOU CANT BUY A BARE SAVAGE ACTION FOR THAT...BUY THE GUN AND DONT LOOK BACK...

Capt Beach

Basic Member

I will be glad to let you know as soon as I buy it! 8) ;D :D
    Birmingham Pistol Wholesale in Trussville AL.

Basic Member

I was jus kiddin...BUY THAT DAMNED THING AND DONT LOOK BACK...hell of a deal...

etumil

That is an excellent buy. I own a 110E with a number just a few digits higher than yours, in the same caliber. If you get to checking on it you will find it dates to the early 80's ... 83 if I remember correctly. they are excellent shooters right off the bat, if you upgrade the optics, you might not even want to change the rest of the rifle. (yes I do know that the .308 shoots flatter, but you can still get more than enough accuracy to take a deer at 600 without changing parts.

Basic Member

Sounds like I will be learning on this one for a while. I am good out to 100yds, but I have access to lanes up to 500yds. So I look forward to enjoying it as it is, and upgrading as my skills catch up with the rifle.
    Thanks,
    David

stangfish

Quote Originally Posted by etumil
    (yes I do know that the .308 shoots flatter, but you can still get more than enough accuracy to take a deer at 600 without changing parts.
    Huh?

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by stangfish
    (yes I do know that the .308 shoots flatter, but you can still get more than enough accuracy to take a deer at 600 without changing parts.
    Huh?
    I'm with you stangfish.

etumil

Quote Originally Posted by JackinSD
    Huh?
    I'm with you stangfish.
    The OP asked about switching to a .308 I was simply mentioning that with a little practice on the rifle and some good loads, you do not need to switch to a .308

I say buy it. My first donor was the same thing with a scope that rattled for $249.I replaced just about everything on it so far and rebarreled to 308.If there's something you don't like,just change it. I'm hooked!
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Basic Member

Went by the gun store today and put it on hold. I will get it in a couple of weeks when I get my bonus from work. Thanks to everyone for the input and reassurance. I am really excited to shoot it and I will share my results.
    Also another added value I suppose is that it has a Leupold base and scope rings for the 110. It looked funny to me, but I cross referenced it with MidwayUSA. I have a cheap but decent scope to start out with.
    I will keep everyone posted.
    Thanks,
    David

Basic Member

Huh?
    I'm with you stangfish.
    The OP asked about switching to a .308 I was simply mentioning that with a little practice on the rifle and some good loads, you do not need to switch to a .308
    I thought you were saying the 308 shoots flatter than the 30-06.

etumil

Huh?
    I'm with you stangfish.
    It does, but unless you are shooting competition with handloads, you probably would not even notice it.

I guess I need to get one of those flat shooting .308's that magically shoot flatter than a 30-06. My 30-06 shoots 180 gr bullets flatter than my .308 shoots 165 gr bullets.
    A poor worker always blames his tool

Basic Member

It does, but unless you are shooting competition with handloads, you probably would not even notice it.
    May want to check that out again and verify that.

To the OP; good deal on the rifle. A taker for sure. I would imagine you could be accurate to 500yds while still meeting your budget. One area that may break the budget is the scope. Depending on how serious you get into long range shooting would be the determining factor, whether or not to spend good $$$ on a real nice scope that would take you out of the budget.

Hopefully it turns out to be a shooter.
    Couple rf's, couple cf's, and 1 12g.

Everything I once held dear
    I count it all as lost

Basic Member

[/quote]

Please define the scenario where your claim happens?

Basic Member

Here is another question that may need a new thread. While I was talking to someone I know that shoots long range competitively he mentioned that I should shoot on the side of my dominant eye. I am a lefty in writing and eating, but everything else, including shooting, is righty. I have also come to find that I am left eye dominant. I have compensated for this with my pistol stance, but I have always shot right handed with left eye closed in my limited experience with a scope.

Would there be a real advantage to training myself to shoot left handed? All other long guns I have are RH.

Looking through a scope there seems to be no difference in clarity and sharpness whether I use my right or left eye, and the other eye closed.
    If I try to keep both eyes open, there is no doubt that whatever the left eye is looking at is the dominant image.

Any and all advice is appreciated.
    David

ellobo

For what its worth, I am right handed and left eye dominant. I have always shot with the right eye rifle and pistol. I made pistol master shooting right eye. And I have been shooting for 60 yrs. I have implants in both eyes due to diabetis going on 22 yrs.

El Lobo

louielouie

To the OP: I, too, just acquired an older (F-series) 30-06 at my states first Fish & Game auction as a 'learning' tool.

The finish on the birch stock is time consuming to remove and I may go with the something like a Minwax dk. walnut or ebony to cover it up. The wood is easy to shape with some sharp gouges & sand paper so the barrel nut doesn't rest on the wood and maybe some bedding gel could help.

The stock trigger is easy enough to adjust for hunting purposes while the rest of it is so darn easy to work on I can't understand why it was so darn filthy when I got it.

Once I make the stock components as good as they're gonna get (meaning I've 'touched & messed with'), then the 'modding' begins for a 'switch-everything' gun.

Basic Member

Sorry, but there is NO WAY, when using same length barrels and bullet weights, that the 308 is physically capable of shooting flatter than the 30-06. Not when the 308 will ALWAYS lag behind by 100-200fps.

Although the difference in speed, to many, is marginal, it is still enough to give the edge to the '06, always. Accuracy, is a never ending argument, but that has nothing to do with flatter shooting.

There isn't even an argument of better ballistic design bullets, because ANY bullet the 308 shoots, the 30-06 WILL shoot faster.

Sorry, but not possible.

Oh, and for the OP, as they have said buy it! Darn good deal.

Gmac5

Think i need to look into the magic bullets hes shooting outa that 308 ,oh wait a minute ican shoot those outa my 30-06 faster never mind ha ha
    Gary

Gmac5

Unless, forgot about the other 308. The 308 norma mag,now that one should ,should shoot flatter than the 308 w.
    Gary

efw

Huh?
    I'm with you stangfish.
    Huh? How does an identical projectile doing 150-200 fps slower at the muzzle shoot flatter? ???

To the OP... unless you're looking at a custom, no one buys a Savage for the wood or finish... we buy 'em for the accuracy! You'll love the cartridge, too... it'll send 'em a tad faster than the 308 Win so you ought not have an issue w/ LR, either.

oneeyeross

I also have an E series in -06. Great rifle. For the stock issue, I just went ahead and got a boyds (I'm a rightie, but shoot left handed - always did for rifles. Pistols I shoot right because as a kid in the late 50's early 60's you couldn't get a left handed cowboy rig very easy...)

You will enjoy how well this rifle shoots. And there isn't anything the .308 can do that the .30 of 06 hasn't already done...and vice versa.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast