Thread: 110/Axis/ Mossberg barrel threads

Basic Member

110/Axis/ Mossberg barrel threads

Are the barrel threads the same for the 110 and Savage Axis?? Are they the same for the Mossberg 100 ATR?

stangfish

Re: 110/Axis/ Mossberg barrel threads

Savage Barrels fit the Marlin Not the mossberg.

Basic Member

Great!! I have an ER Shaw 338-06 AI Savage barrel and am shopping for a long action to put it on. Knowing that the threads are all the same opens up my choices for an action.

ellobo

What make of rifle is your barrel made for? Check to make sure it has enough length of thread to take a Savage barrel nut if it isnt made specificaly for a Savage. If it is made for a Marlin you may have to use a file and take the peaks off the threads from what I have heard.

El Lobo

Gmac5

Mossberg atr barrel threads have a smaller od and will not fit any savage .atr barrel will be 20 " or less after cutting existing atr threads off to re thread and rechamber.
    If you need exact atr tpi & major, minor thread diam.i can post later
    Gary

Basic Member

The barrel is cut for a Savage 110 small shank.
    I am shopping for a donor action, and want to make sure the threads match before I buy.
    I would like the thread pitch and dimentions for the ATR if they are different than the 110.

Gmac5

Atr 30-06 barrel has 20 tpi major thread is 1", minor thred is .950.threaded shank length ( for use with barrel nut is 1.750 . Hope this helps .
    Gary

Gmac5

Forgot to mention the breech of the atr is flat just as the savages are . No lip exists, the atr bolt does not have a rem 700 stle bolt nose . Atr is same design as savage ,including extractor ,but again not interchange able. Hope this helps.
    Gary
    30-06,243win,270.&308 all have same threads,havent had to rebarrel any magnums yet!

stangfish

Thanks gmac. I had the marlin and mossberg mixed up mixed up. My apologies. since the thread pitch is the same a savage barrel can be machined to fit the mossberg.

Gmac5

Marlins are not a direct bolt on iether ,thread diam close enough,tpi same ,but the marlin bolt face sits deeper in the bolt ,requiring the savage barrel to have 010 to 018 taken off. Just sit would headspace correctly.
    Hope this keeps it safe,gary

efw

None of those'll work... you should return that barrel to whomever you bought it from :) !

Seriously Bart... good luck w/ that barrel!

I'll drop you a PM as I ran into some ammo you might be interested in...

Quote Originally Posted by Gmac5
    Marlins are not a direct bolt on iether ,thread diam close enough,tpi same ,but the marlin bolt face sits deeper in the bolt ,requiring the savage barrel to have 010 to 018 taken off. Just sit would headspace correctly.
    Hope this keeps it safe,gary
    ???????????

I installed a Criterion barrel made for a Savage (7mm-08) on an XS7 with no problems at all with headspacing. Used the go gauge to set with
    the barrel nut and after tightening, the go gauge went while the no go gauge did not. Truly, no problems.

Gmac5

Savage made barrels on marlin ,no problel,its the other way that wont work .like i said the marlin bolt face is recessed deeper than savage,so the rear of barrel will make contact withe the bolt,before proper headspace can be achieved.(marlin barrel on savage is not o k ,savage barrel on marlin is )
    Gary

Basic Member

Found an action!!
    efw, you mentioned that you might be looking for a long action barrel in a standard cal. My donor action has a 270 barrel - interested?

nsaqam

Quote Originally Posted by Gmac5
    Savage made barrels on marlin ,no problel,its the other way that wont work .like i said the marlin bolt face is recessed deeper than savage,so the rear of barrel will make contact withe the bolt,before proper headspace can be achieved.(marlin barrel on savage is not o k ,savage barrel on marlin is )
    Gary
    This is just wrong both grammatically and informatively and it could result in excessive HS when fitting a Savage prefit onto a Marlin X action.
    HS is measured from the rear of the casehead to a datum point on the shoulder of the cartridge. Since the Marlin boltface is recessed deeper by ~.015" you'd have to screw the Savage barrel into the Marlin action .015" deeper to maintain the same HS. This may or may not work since the boltNOSE to breechface clearance on the Marlin is ~.010" to .020". You could easily run into a situation where the breechface of the barrel contacts the boltnose on the Marlin giving an indication of proper headspace but HS could still be long. you will surely have a situation where the breechface to boltnose clearance is far less than it was designed to be This could easily allow even a very small amount of debris to prevent closing of the bolt.
    The solution is exceedingly easy however if you wish to maintain the designed clearance between the breechface and the boltnose. Merely face .015" from the breechface of the Savage barrel.
    Gary had it right the first post he made but he got mixed up on this one.

Gmac5

Oh boy , i did screw that one backwards.thanks for catchin it.

stangfish