Thread: Bolt head swap

Basic Member

Bolt head swap

I just got a Stevens 200 223. I have a Savage 22-250 barrel and stock and am wondering if all I have to do to use the 22-250 barrel is change the bolt head and magazine. The stock is from an accutrigger 22-250 and the screw spacing is the same on both stocks. I used the action and magazine box in a different build. Where would i find a magazine box,spring and follower? Is this the correct bolt head and does the baffle need to be changed also?
    From Midwayusa.com
    Savage Arms Bolt Head Short Action Savage 10 to 16 Push Feed Right Hand 22-250 Remington, 243 Winchester, 260 Remington, 7mm-08 Remington, 308 Winchester Product #: 451988 Savage Arms #: 104876

tinkerer

Re: Bolt head swap

All I know of switching bolt heads is be sure to have the ejector trimmed a few thousandths as it will hit the chamber and prevent loading otherwise.

On the other parts, I presume you can buy them again?

Larry
    Tinkerer

stangfish

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerer
    All I know of switching bolt heads is be sure to have the ejector trimmed a few thousandths as it will hit the chamber and prevent loading otherwise.
    Larry
    Tinkerer
    Can you explain in more detail Larry?

tinkerer

I had a 223 bolt head removed and a 308 installed. When I went to load a round, it would have a very light firing pin strike. Turns out the ejector tab was hitting the chamber walls and not allowing the round to seat all the way down, thus spacing to far forward to hit the primer well. He trimmed a couple of thousands off the ejector tab and now the shell seats all the way and ejects right.

Hope it helps.

Larry
    Tinkerer

Basic Member

Did you have to change the baffle? Or just the bolt head?

cgeorgemo

Firing pin protrusion is adjustable on the Savage 110s and Stevens 200s in case you have light strikes by the pin and it isn't the ejector.
    Having to trim an ejector isn't a given with a bolt head swap.

cgeorgemo

Quote Originally Posted by xtratoy
    The baffle is different on the .223 from the 22-250 so you will be swapping that as well I believe.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by cgeorgemo
    The baffle is different on the .223 from the 22-250 so you will be swapping that as well I believe.
    Thanks for that info.

cgeorgemo

Top is the .223 bolt and bottom is the 22-250 bolt.

Why does the 223 have a longer baffle?

To shorten bolt travel between open & closed. I use the longer one in my short actions, with 20 Vartarg, 20 Tac, 6BR, to shorten bolt travel.

Basic Member

for the mag box, follower and spring i purchased them through Savage, was cheaper than Midway. bolthead and baffle you can get through Midway (SSS may even have them).
    Holy Crap!!

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by short round
    To shorten bolt travel between open & closed. I use the longer one in my short actions, with 20 Vartarg, 20 Tac, 6BR, to shorten bolt travel.
    Quick question?? My 260 Rem is built on a long action. Could put the long baffle on that bolt to shorten the throw? Is there a different baffle for left and right hand models?

cgeorgemo

Quick question?? My 260 Rem is built on a long action. Could put the long baffle on that bolt to shorten the throw? Is there a different baffle for left and right hand models?
    Yes that would work to shorten the bolt travel. And I don't think there is a difference on the style for leftys and rightys.

stangfish

Quick question?? My 260 Rem is built on a long action. Couldput the long baffle on that bolt to shorten the throw? Is there a different baffle for left and right hand models?
    Woah! If you are using the 270/30-06 magazine...No. The tabs that hold the cartridge in place are at the rear of the magazine. In other words your bolt will not pick up the next cartridge if you put the long baffle on your bolt. Unless.... If you have shimed or blocked a SA magazine in place...yes. It can work.

As for the ejector hitting the walls of the chamber.....whoever told you that It is my humble opinion they lied. I might believe it was hitting the large bore of the action the locking lugs and the face of the barrel.

Basic Member

I have the plate that turns it into a single shot installed in the magazine.