Thread: Mounting Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40

mrwgafun

Mounting Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40

I just purchased a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40. I went to mount it on my 308 AXIS and it's 1/8 of an inch too short for the rings. I tried 2 sets of rings and it's the same thing. My Axis came with 2 piece bases already mounted on the rifle.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Do I need to return the scope and get something else? If I do does anyone have any suggestions for a decent scope for around $160

Re: Mounting Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40

Order a DNZ Gamereaper one-piece mount. Either low or medium. You may have some rubbing of the bolt handle on the eyepeice with the low mount. I have the medium height on my .30-06 with a VX3 3.5-10x40 and works great. Added a padded cheekrest/shell holder and eye lines up perfectly.

Pics in my thread on this page. I had plenty of adjustment for the scope with this mount.
    Axis .223 with 4x12x40 Redfield Revolution
    Stainless Axis .30-06 with 3.5x10x40 VX3 Leupold.

mrwgafun

I was hoping to go shooting this weekend. It does not look like that will happen. I might get a different scope if I have to pay another $45. If I cant use the mounts that came with the gun it seems like a waste. I gues I should have done more research before making the purchase.

Thank you for the help.

Werewolf

+1 on DNZ mounts, They are really solid and good for hunting rigs
    Long action savages are notorious for needing really long scopes to bridge the action. A lot of the newer scopes tend to be short, you may HAVE to get extended bases or rings to mount it.
    All that being said, I do not own an Axis, only savage and Stevens

File the grove back further to get by for the day.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Basic Member

Won't the Weaver #402 extended base work? They can be used front and rear to get the extra clearance. I don't have an Axis yet, but I generally use Weaver bases on all my Savages. On all my long actions I use the 402 to get the proper spacing.

miassmaro98

EGW makes a nice one piece scope mount with two options at a good price under 50 dollars

Mountaintrekker

Will the Blackhawk rail for Savage 10 rifle work on a short Axis action?

Mountaintrekker

dboyers

The Weaver 402 would more than likely do the trick. I ended up going with the EGW base and Warne high rings with a Bushnell Trophy DOA 600 scope so I could get proper eye relief. I wasn't overly happy about spending an additional $70+ but it all worked out great.

mrwgafun

just for giggles I picked up a Bushnell Banner (dusk to dawn) at Wally World. It is a longer scope and fits on what I have. I figure I'll give it a try. If the scope sucks I'll bring it back and go with the one piece mount and the Nikon.

Thank You all for the help!