Thread: Finding the right load

Basic Member

Finding the right load

I recently tried the OCW method http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspa...ple/4529811475 and it works really well, I got a new model 12 in a 260 rem and was not getting good results useing ladder test, so i tried this method at 200 yards and results were great with n150 now i have to try two other powders , the link to this method says to wait 2 minutes between shots for cooling i went one minute because this larger barrel could handle it all with out being really hot to make any difference.

Grit #1

Re: Finding the right load

I do basically the same thing when developing a load. How ever I kill three birds with one stone. I always fire over a chronograph. I also fire 5 shot groups. Also I move my powder charge by 1/2 grain. For example just the other day I was developing a load for a US mod 1917. I had two things to accomplish, one was to find a load that grouped the tightest, the other was on that would shoot to the sights at 200yds. I had both 150gr flat base hunting bullets and 168gr BTHPs. I started at 47.5 grains with each bullet. I fired 5 shot groups one on each target and recorded my chrono info. When I hit the sweet spot on the chrono(where ES and SD where the lowest) my groups were also the tightest. At 50.5 grains the 150gr Core Lock was hitting the 10 and X ring with two in the 9 ring(standard 200yd high power target). At 48 grains the 168 produces an es of 3 and sd of 7.1, it shot 3xs and 2 10s. That is going to be my match load in the upcoming Vintage Rifle Match. Here is the interesting part. There was about 2 grains of powder that shot in and envelope were the group POI did not change however you could watch the group size close going to the sweet spot and open leaving it. I fired a total of 40 rounds testing this rifle. Usually you have to fire M2 ball in these matches, however the match director chose not to issue ammo so we were allowed to bring our own ammo, no restrictions.
    I am amazed at how well this 90 year old rifle shoots. Watch out Springfields!!!!!!
    Best regrds,
    Grit

Basic Member

Re: Finding the right load

grit, sounds good, I wish I would have tried this along time ago, but sometimes it is hard to get an old dog to do new tricks.