Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help with 1995 112 Stainless

Russ

Re: Need help with 1995 112 Stainless

Check out the 6.5x20x44 Vortex Viper here
    http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...c,49860.0.html

Basic Member

For the record, both rifles are long actions.

Buy that 112FT and keep it in its current configuration. If one of the reasons for picking it up is to keep it "in the family" any changes are going to depreciate the sentimental value of the rifle. On top of that, its a factory 30" bull barrel .308 target rifle... it will do just fine for itself at the ranges you are looking for... albeit with some extra math by you. IMO the .308 is a Swiss Army knife of a round... "jack of all trades, master of none" kind of thing. It's the caliber used for Palma and F-T/R, so 1,000yrd is within range IF the shooter knows what they are doing.

Yes the .308ish (currently 7.62x51 M118lr aka A136) round the military uses for sniping. There IS a reason the Army is switching the M24 to .300wm and/or .338lm, while all branches employ the .50bmg for long range work.. the 7.62 NATO from a bolt rifle only marginally extended the ranges seen in that caliber from a semi-auto DMR that is issued in far greater numbers.

If it were me, I would yank apart that 30-06 and build something for the purpose you have.

There are a myriad of calibers I would choose to shoot at the ranges you are looking BEFORE I would choose the .308 or even the 30-06. You will need to give more of an idea of what your end goal is for the rifle before you can narrow the field down.

Basic Member

He wanted another $600 for the first gen sprinfield 4-16x56. The way I see it is I can buy another springfield, but not that rifle.
    The truth is that there are no ranges around here that is longer than 500yds. I think there is a 1K being built in the Birmingham area. Realistically I would use the 112 to learn as much as possible since it is set up already for available range distances. The 110E .30-06 has been modified some, and a friend of mine that can shoot a dime size at 100 yards said that the trigger is at about 2lbs and the bolt and action are mated up very well.

Short term goal- Set the gun up wih a reliable scope for 300yds or less. Buy a scope that will be good to learn with and appropriate for my abilities. I have zero experience shooting rifles past 75yds, and I have never had to adjust for MPBR or anything such as that.

Medium term- Set up the gun to where I can work my way up to consistently shooting MOA at 500yds. Over the next year to two. Get more involved in reloading, testing and producing handloads.

Long term- Work on the 110 or find a good project rifle to turn into a 1K gun. Practice lots, and build my skill to where it should be. Once my skills are where they need to be, then be willing to invest a few thousand into a gun an optic setup that will allow for enjoyment for years to come. Five to ten years.
    I am looking to buld my paper punching and steel plate skills. I have deer in my backyard if I need to eat! ;D
    Thanks for all the input,
    David

Basic Member

Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.
    ~Mary Schmich

Quote Originally Posted by WestPat
    He wanted another $600 for the first gen sprinfield 4-16x56. The way I see it is I can buy another springfield, but not that rifle.
    The truth is that there are no ranges around here that is longer than 500yds. I think there is a 1K being built in the Birmingham area. Realistically I would use the 112 to learn as much as possible since it is set up already for available range distances. The 110E .30-06 has been modified some, and a friend of mine that can shoot a dime size at 100 yards said that the trigger is at about 2lbs and the bolt and action are mated up very well.
    The 30-06 was a great buy, as said before, you can't find a bare action for that low of a price these days. Use that one as your project keeping the 112 stockish.

Short term goal- Set the gun up wih a reliable scope for 300yds or less. Buy a scope that will be good to learn with and appropriate for my abilities. I have zero experience shooting rifles past 75yds, and I have never had to adjust for MPBR or anything such as that.

Medium term- Set up the gun to where I can work my way up to consistently shooting MOA at 500yds. Over the next year to two. Get more involved in reloading, testing and producing handloads.
    Shooting out to 500yrds with that rifle is going to done with just about the same bits as you will need to shoot 100yrds. I would grab some decent glass with a mildot, mrad, or other tacticool reticle, which will help you quickly range and factor drop and windage. I would get something with enough max power to carry you out further with some fine details. I have done more than my fair share of 500+ with a simple 10x, but I am spoiled now with 12-15x :). I would say get something with equal measurements between reticle and knobs (Mil/Mil or MOA/MOA) just makes the math MUCH easier, and get the best glass you can afford. The 5-15x50 Viper HS on midway (mentioned above) is what I will be running on my new 12lrp in .260 for 800+ gong ringing.

The best way to get you on at longer and longer ranges is practice! Up to 100yrds you can pretty much use any boxed ammo and do well enough to put meat on the table... this may even work to 200yrds or more, but unless you are making one ragged hole at 100yrd, and sub 1" at 200, you are not going to be ready to be accurately shooting out to 500. If you are not reloading quite yet, you could do MUCH worse than Federal Gold Medal Match, 175gn SMK (Sierra Match King) and keep EVERY piece of that brass, its in the upper end.

Best thing you can do for accuracy is really practice your basic shooting fundamentals (position, sight picture, breathing, trigger squeeze).

Long term- Work on the 110 or find a good project rifle to turn into a 1K gun. Practice lots, and build my skill to where it should be. Once my skills are where they need to be, then be willing to invest a few thousand into a gun an optic setup that will allow for enjoyment for years to come. Five to ten years.
    I am looking to buld my paper punching and steel plate skills. I have deer in my backyard if I need to eat! ;D
    Thanks for all the input,
    David
    Not a problem, welcome to the club!

Basic Member

Wow, thanks!
    That is one of the most detailed replies I have ever had on any type of forum I have ever posted too.
    I look at shooting as a way to relieve stress and develop discipline. So this hobby I am getting to enjoy affects my everyday life as well. I appreciate everyone's help and I will take your words to heart corprin.
    Thanks,
    David

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12