Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with 1995 112 Stainless

Basic Member

Need help with 1995 112 Stainless

Hello,
    I am new to this forum. This is my first post.
    A friend of mone lost her husband, and she is trying to sell her guns. I have my eye on a Model 112 that she has, but we are having a little trouble coming up with a fair value. Also, I have a few questions regarding if the gun is what I am looking for. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I called Savage and they said it is a mid-year 1995 so they did not have specifics on it.
    It is #F435905 and it is simply stamped with Model 112 on the barrel. It is a .308.
    It says Savage Competition on the bolt and has Stainless Steel engraved on the barrel. Big bull barrel, maybe 30".
    It has a laminate stock with an adjustable cheekrest and the cutout slits on the sides of the foregrip. It has a metal insert under the stock that has numbers from 8-20 marked on it. I guess for a bi-pod?
    (The gun looks alot like the model 12 benchrest on Savage's website.)

It has a first gen Springfield Armory 4-14x56 scope mounted on it. It is a Mil-Dot scope that is laid out for a .308 from what I understand.
    The gun overall is in beautiful condition and only has one superficial scratch on the stock.
    Here are my questions:

Is this a swap barrel gun. and could I change it to 7mm or .338 Lapua?
    Even in the current configuration, is thi a gun that could compete in 1000 yard matches?
    I really want a rifle that will shoot long range 500-1000yds.
    Is the gun, as it is setup, worth the $1100 she is asking?

Thanks for any input and I look forward to learning much!
    Thanks,
    David

Basic Member

Re: Need help with 1995 112 Stainless

What you have is the 112 BT. It is a long action .308. It has a blackened stainless steel barrel, standard shank with a stepped muzzle for clamp on sight bases, drilled and tapped for receiver sights and an accessory rail for hand stops,sling mounts ,etc. It should have large ball bolt handle. These were made until about 1999 or when ever the stocks depleted. At the time, wholesale costs were approx $800.00.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member

Thanks for the info. Would this be a gun that would be desirable for shooting long distance matches, or would you reccomend another Savage model. Given a choice I would rather have a 5 round bolt rifle with a bull barrel.
    Thanks again,
    David

ellobo

as it sits is it set up as a single shot? You could swap barrels on just about any Savage but magazine and other considerations such as its being a single shot come into play. The .338 Lapua is a very expensive cartridge to buy or load. With proper ammo the .308 will do well at 500-1000 yards. To duplicate that rifle as a 5 shot would easliy cost you $1000. A picture would be helpfull. Marine snipers routinly shoot at those distances with a .308. Hopefully others will chime in on this one. If you dont want it maybe someone else here will. Sounds like a great rifle.

El Lobo

Basic Member

Thanks,
    That answers my question. Looking at a long range gun, as long as it is precise, I guess you don't need a five round mag. This gun is really beautiful and even though it weighs 12-13lbs, at 230 I can handle it with ease. I never thought that I would be attracted to a single shot, but this first time I held this rifle, it felt like an extension of myself. I just wanted to know that it was a fair price being asked.
    If you were going to consider a barrel swap down the road, what cartridge would be most effective.
    Thanks again for your input,
    David

ellobo

Stand by, you are going to get 20 opinions on that question. If it were me I would go with a 6.5-.358.

El Lobo

Basic Member

Okay,
    The 112 is out of the picture. She traded it towards structural work that she needed done on the house. Anyway, all this research has me bitten by the Savage bug now. So I was in the LGS today,and I saw a Savage Model 110 E Serial E814071. It is in caliber .30-06.
    They want $229 for it.

The bluing is good, but the stock is ugly as sin. The wood is nice, but it seems that the varnish, clear coat is non-existent. Has a scope mount and rings, but they don't really match up to the ejection port. It has already been tapped for sights, and all of the non-used srews are still in place.

The important part is that the rifling is really nice, and the bolt is smooth as silk. The trigger to me seems very light, with almost no travel to it. They said the guy used it for target shooting, so maybe a diferent trigger?
    It has in internal magazine.

Is this a good price? Could I eventually swap the barrel and stock over to a .308 or .358 long distance setup and still keep the total investment under $1000?
    Thanks again for all the input!
    David

ellobo

For your initial investment you could probably convert it to anything you want , new barrel, bolt head, stock, mount and rings and be well under $1000
    But, if were me I would go for a later model than the E if you can find one. The E probably has a flat rear reciever and would need a proper scope mount. Not a big deal, they are available. 2 of mine have the flat back. You could even add a detachable box magazine and bottom metal to anything you get and be under $1000. I am presupposing you arnt adding in a good scope to the $1000. If you are, then you could get to or easlily exceed $1000. Here is one way to keep costs down; go to MidwayUSA website and check out Adams&Bennett barrels. for a stock look at Boyds Laminate Prairy Hunter or JRS stocks for under $100 and have then checkered for an extra $50. Add pillars and bed the action. I have 2 A&B barrels, a 7x57 and a .35 Whelen and they both shoot sub MOA with good handloads. Or you can go for a $300 custom Pac-nor, Kriegar, CBI or other barrels and a $300 specalty stock. Your choice.
    el Lobo

Basic Member

WestPat,

Where is this LGS you speak of...address, phone number...I want to go ahead and BUY that gun for $229 and have it shipped to my FFL...just kidding...MAN YOU CANT BUY A BARE SAVAGE ACTION FOR THAT...BUY THE GUN AND DONT LOOK BACK...

Capt Beach

Basic Member

They had a few other Savages instock, but they were all .270 or smaller. Maybe one 300 WinMag but it was $400. Also, I already have a 1943 03-A3 Springfield so 06 would be something common since I am just learning to reload. I like the idea of a small initial investment that can be customized as time goes on. I have a scope to put on it to start, and the LGS had some traded Nikons(~$200) and even a 3x9 Leupold for $250. I would look to upgrade scope as I improve the platform. Looking at Brownell's, it appears to have a Leupold Scope mount. But it only uses one rear receiver screw, That was my only concern. Yes it is a flat receiver.

Also, I thought the 06 would be a better action/mag well to convert to the calibers we have mentioned.
    Ultimately what I am hearing from you is that 229 is a good place to start, and I would stil have the customizability as more expensive Savages.
    Thanks Again!
    David
    PS I have pictures I could send you if you had any desire to see it.

Basic Member

If it was me...and your endgame was a precision rifle in 30-06...here is my route...
    Remove the barrel and stock

1. Acquire a Tactical Style Stock...CHOATE makes the best bang for your buck in the LA...the Choate Tactical $221.00 from Midway USA

2. Its probably got a 3 screw trigger...KEEP it...its a good one

3. Send stock to CDI in Florida and get CDI Bottom Metal and inletting for $230ish

4. Pick up a decent barrel in 30-06 on the Vendors classifieds...$159-350

5. Look at a SWFA 10/16 power Mil Dot scopes for $340 or so

6. EGW 20MOA one piece base $30 or so...

7. Burris X-Treme rings $35.00

Assemble, test and load development and you got a serious rifle...

Capt Beach

Basic Member

My endgame is to most likely convert this rifle to a .308 or 7mm precision target gun. Something I have wanted to work up to for several years. Adapting as I go and upgrading parts as my marksmanship improves.( I have experience shooting 7.62x39, fun cheap, and all over the place.) The idea of growing with the rifle intrigues me. That is why the more I read about Savage the more I like the concept.

With the action/receiver and mag well that is has already, can I convert over to .308, and follow the rest of the steps you have laid out?
    If not what am I missing in my mind's eye?

Thanks for yall's help and extremely informative answers.
    David

Basic Member

Maybe a better question is...
    What has a similar cartridge size to the 30-06, but much better ballistics, and would work with the long action/existing magazine?
    Something that is cost effective to reload, and can still reach out to 1000 yds.
    I always think of .308 because it is a round I know something about.
    I know I am asking lots of questions, but I think taking the correct first steps make all the difference.
    Thanks again,
    David

Basic Member

25-06

Ray Gunter

Quote Originally Posted by WestPat
    My endgame is to most likely convert this rifle to a .308 or 7mm ........

What has a similar cartridge size to the 30-06, but much better ballistics.....
    My answer that would satisfy both questions is to look at a 280 Rem. Its a 7mm bullet in a 30-06 case AKA 7mm-06 AKA 280 Rem. Commercially this round is known as a 280 Remington. Lots of good bullet choices that would be suited for long range.

Basic Member

I guess I'm missing something. Why not leave it 30-06? It hasn't been around for over 100yrs. because it dosen't work.
    I know 06 dosen't so cool but it gets the job done everyday.

Basic Member

God works in mysterious ways.
    I know this is an old thread but I would appreciate continued input since it is relevent again.
    Really appreciate the old and hopefully further advice from captnbeach and ellobo!

So I felt a need(higher power moment here) to go to the LGS today and what should I see on the rack but the 112BT. The guy who had done the work on my friends house had sold it and her deceased husband's Ruger yesterday. They logged it in and put them on the floor this morning.

I was quite amazed because when I had called my wife when I was leaving work she asked me if I was going to the gun store. Had no plans to do so with my recent Savage purchase less than two weeks old. So I guess it was meant to be all along. I have the gun on hold and wanted further advice now that I have a chance to purchase it.

The shop owner is asking $575 for just the rifle, and 995 for rifle and scope. Here is the OP to refresh the guns info.
    called Savage and they said it is a mid-year 1995 so they did not have specifics on it.
    It is #F435905 and it is simply stamped with Model 112 on the barrel. It is a .308.
    It says Savage Competition on the bolt and has Stainless Steel engraved on the barrel. Big bull barrel, maybe 30".
    It has a laminate stock with an adjustable cheekrest and the cutout slits on the sides of the foregrip. It has a metal insert under the stock that has numbers from 8-20 marked on it. I guess for a bi-pod?
    (The gun looks alot like the model 12 benchrest on Savage's website.)

It has a first gen Springfield Armory 4-14x56 scope mounted on it. It is a Mil-Dot scope that is laid out for a .308 from what I understand.
    The gun overall is in beautiful condition and only has one superficial scratch on the stock.

Basic Member

So my wife and I decided to buy it.
    Here are our options:

Buy the Savage and scope for 995. The price is firm.
    (Not my most favorable option because I think I could find a better scope for less than 400 dollars.)

Buy the Savage and the Ruger, to have both the guns.
    The Ruger is an M77 Mark II. Has a trap door magazine with a Leupold VariXIII 6.5-20 power scope. Don't love the scope, and power ring is hard to twist. The Ruger has a bull barrel and is about as old as the Savage.
    Savage- 575 Ruger and scope- 579.
    Would it be worth offering 1100 for both? If there are any closet Ruger fans please let me know if this is a good rifle. The serial number starts 792- if that helps.

Last option is try to offer 900 for just the rifles, and see if the owner will take it. I can be patient on the scopes. The rifles are the important part. Am I am having a hard time not being emotional about this situation, so tell me what you would do, no emotions involved.
    Thanks,
    David

cgeorgemo

I'd buy the Savage if it was me but I'm a switch barrel addict and I do have a problem.

Basic Member

The price on the ruger with a vari X III seems very low to me (Very good deal?).

ellobo

If you start with a long action in .30-06 you already have a cartridge that will shoot higher velocity and flatter trajectory. Why go to the .308? Or anything else for that matter. While those suggested are good choices you dont give up anything with the 06. It has been there and done it all over the last 110 yrs.

El Lobo

Scope alone on the ruger is worth the asking price. I would buy both as those are both gonga deals. Keep the 308 as is and customize the 06 into something else like a 6.5-284. If you are going to be serrious about long range shooting then a 6.5 needs to be considered.

Basic Member

I do like the little 06 I just picked up. The .308's I am interested in because they belonged to my friend.
    She would appreciate me having them and I would like to own two great guns. She traded them for renovation on her house and then the guy just traded them to my LGS.

Basic Member

I have put money down on the savage and my neighbor bought the ruger. I could not afford both. At least I know where it is for down the road. He is already shooting groups with it all 5rounds touching each other at 100 yds. He got it for 580otd. I know it was the better deal but the savage is the one I have always been more drawn towards.
    I did not get the scope, because he was asking crazy money for a Springfield scope. So I will need a scope once I get the gun.
    I was thinking about a mueller or vortex. Something in the 200-300$ range. I would like a 50 or 56mm objective since the rings and mount are included with the gun
    Any suggestions on the scope?
    Even general comments are appreciated!
    Thanks,
    David

Gene R

Vortex hs 5-15 x44 mildot made for midway usa! $400 bucks! There back ordered till 7/1. But I'll tell ya it's worth the wait with features it comes with. I got mine a couple weeks ago amazing for the price! Or 6.5-20x 44/50 mildot w/capped turrets is another in $400/450 range and no wait.
    Good purchase on the rifles to.

Gene

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast