Thread: New stock built, suggestions for hardware for cheek riser?

Basic Member

New stock built, suggestions for hardware for cheek riser?

Just finished my scratch-built stock for my Savage 10. For a first attempt, came out OK...
    I put a Choate cheek riser on it, but it's just a tad too tall.

What I really want is to cut the butt, and make it adjustable.

I know there's commercially available hardware for this, but I'm a diehard DIY and wanted to see if anyone has done this with "hardware store" materials rather than custom milled components.

Basic Member

Re: New stock built, suggestions for hardware for cheek riser?

Also (didn't see an edit button for the prior post..)

The action came with the three-screw trigger...but, when I pulled up adjustment instructions online here, it shows a sear adjustment screw- and my sear is solid, no screw hole at all. All other parts of the trigger assy appear to be factory. Were there variations of the three-screw trigger that did not have a sear adjustment screw, or is this an aftermarket trigger?

The later trigger's offer the sear adjustment screw prior to the accu trigger's. Check out the karsten adjustable cheek riser, you'll have to google it because I don't know of any store's that stock it.
    There really is an excuse for everything!

The trigger you describe is not a 3 screw. It has affectionately been labeled the "Lawyer trigger"
    A lighter spring will help some with the trigger you currently have.

I have placed a spot weld where the sear screw is located on a 3 screw while protecting the trigger to sear mating surface and then filed it and checked it repeatedly until I had it where I wanted it but this is a non adjustable modification.
    It can also be threaded and tapped but it would be cheaper to just buy aftermarket unless you have the tools and skills to do it yourself.
    Good luck BHJ

A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member

"Lawyer trigger"...hmmm...
    Actually, I got the pull weight down to about 3 lbs or so...by just adjusting the trigger pull weight screw. I find it's pretty crisp and breaks nice- no less likeable than the AccuTrigger on my other Savage...I was just curious as to why there was no sear screw...it is identical to the three-screw in every other respect with the exception of this sear adjustment screw.

Thanks for the suggestion for the Karsten, I'm aware of them. Just not my thing, aesthetically for this one. I want to do a "real" adjustable stock cheekpiece.
    KMW makes a nice set, just wanted to see if I could do something myself with it.

Please check your trigger and make sure you have the spring seated in the notch of the adjustment screw, if not it may slip. You also need to make sure you have it adjusted so that the leaf style spring still has an arch in it. Without enough arch in it it can be dangerous. Also you need to degrease and lock the adjustment screw down with loctite or nail polish to ensure no unwanted self adjustments under recoil. These are lessons best not learned the hard way.
    The best way I know of to lighten up the pull on a lawyer trigger is with a piece of piano (music/spring steel) wire from a local hardware store of .040 or a little bigger bend it with pliers to the shape of the original spring and install it with a little arch in it.
    I cant remember who but there is a member here that'll send you a piece of wire if you send them a self addressed stamped envelope.
    Good luck and be safe :)
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Icefox

Here is a nice DIY tutorial for a cheek riser thou its a wood stock, dont know your stock material but this might help.

http://www.waveform.eclipse.co.uk/WE...ek%20Piece.htm

Edit, forgot to include the link hahaha

Basic Member

Icefox- thanks for the link. Looks interesting, yes- made the stock from wood, used the pillars from the factory stock and bedded the receiver.

Jeep...
    Thanks for the concern, noted. Done a few trigger jobs, I loctited the screw in place, slammed the stock into the ground a dozen times to try to induce a bump-fire. It's light and crisp enough for me without screwing with it any more. Actually, every other rifle of ours has a Timney except this one, and my AccuTrigger Savage. Pretty decent factory triggers.

I use pipetite from lowes
    it is a sticky pipe insulation
    newbie from gr, mi.

Icefox,

That page has some pretty slick stuff... I may have to try that out myself. The wife wanted a Boyd's thumbhole varminter stock for her F/TR rifle... I didn't think it was a good idea but it was what she wanted - ya know what I mean

Unfortunately, it turns out I was right... between the cheek piece being kinda low to facilitate removing the bolt and/or cleaning, and the big honkin' NF 12-42x scope on top, the cheek piece is (at least) an inch or so too low. I'm just not sure if there is enough 'meat' for the guide rods with the way the butt is shaped...

Monte