Thread: weaver tactical 5-20x vs SWFA 4-15x

Gunmutt

weaver tactical 5-20x vs SWFA 4-15x

I am working on a savage LA 6.5 x55 swede and need help deciding on a scope. I want to stretch it out to 1000 yards if possible. Both look to be great scopes. Which do you think is better and why?

That's a tough call, either quality glass of the SWFA, or more magnification of the Weaver. I plan on putting the Primary Arms 4-14 FFP on my 6x55, eventually I'll get a 20x SWFA Super Sniper for it. For 1000 yards, quality glass beats magnification every time, especially when you start to add mirage to the mix. The clearer you can see the target at less power, the fewer problems you'll have with mirage. Given your two choices, I'd pick the SWFA.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Gunmutt
    The swfa has a better price point for me

The weaver tacticals actually have pretty darn good glass, and they are known to be a lot of scope for the money, you might also look at the Vortex Viper PST 6-24X50 in the SFP, it's in that same price range and has good glass as well. The swfa's are nice but the 3-15's don't have the HD glass that's in the 5-20's. I had a 5-20 and it was really nice glass for the money.

Gunmutt
    The vortex does not have the ffp in the price range I am in right now. I am wanting a competition tactical/f-class hybrid rifle. My 24" Douglas 7w barrel should work but the glass needs to fit the bill

I have the Weaver Tactical in 3-15x50 and 4-20x50, plus the SWFAs in 3-15x42 and the 5-20x50.

As noted previously, the SWFA 5-20X has their HD glass and not a fair comparison to the others. It is the best of the bunch but carries nearly a 2X premium in price.

Of the remaining three, it is hard to pick the front runner. While I like the glass better on the 3-15X compared to the others, the differences are minimal. Edge to edge clarify is slightly better on the SWFA scope, but smaller objective size could be a factor for some in low light. To my eye, the SWFA 3-15X fared better than the Weaver Tactical 4-20X in full light conditions. All are excellent scopes for their price point.

452b300
    Yes they do make a Vortex FFP 4 X 16 X 50 HS LR at cameraland.com for $699.00 to your door. look at the demos. I just received this scope and its very well made and has excellent glass.